2013 IIHF Men's World Championship

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
We are into the Quarter finals today. The US roundly trounced the Russians in their game. The Swiss handily beat the Czechs in theirs. Finland in the 2nd P is ahead of Slovakia 3 to 1. Canada plays Sweden following the Fin/Slovak game.

GO CANADA, GO! ROCK THE ICE, GUYS! :canada:

Whoa...........don't count Slovakia out yet.........they came back to score 2 goals in the 2nd P. Score now 3 to 2. Come on Slovakia - you can do this!

Yo Slovakia..........go guys! Shortly after the whistle blew to start the 3rd P, Slovakia tied the game 3 to 3.

Fins just came back with a beauty of a goal..........4 - 3 Finland near the midway point in the P.

The Fins prevailed and take the game 4 to 3. Now onto the really important game...........Canada vs Sweden........set to start in a few minutes on TSN.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
what the hell is edler doing. He put a knee on knee on eric stall, injuring him, it was obvious,

nothing questionable about the move or the call.

edler can be a great defenceman, and he can be a complete idiot on the ice, sometimes looks like he

can't make a decision and makes dumb mistakes.

I'm not sure if he should come back to the canucks. He is highly respected around the NHL and canucks

could get something good in return for him, I wonder.

There will be lots of changes on the canucks, maybe he will be part of that.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Canada tied 0 - 0 with Sweden after the first period. Edler was thrown out of the game for kneeing Stall. He was given 4 minutes and a game......Canada didn't score on the powerplay. Eric Stall is probably out of the tourniment

Last edited:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Shame on you, Alex Edler.........you KNOW better than to do that. I hope you get kicked out of the remainder of the series should Sweden win. I hope every minute of watching Eric writhing in absolute agony after your hit is engrained in your memory. It was gut-wrenching to watch and silenced every voice in the stands. Kudos to the Swedish fans for their standing ovation to Eric. Our Captain is gone for the game possibly longer. No word on the injury – hoping for something during the intermission.

I am sure that Team Canada was stunned by the completely illegal and blatantly obvious knee-on-knee hit by Edler on Eric Staal. Resulting in a 5 minute major for Team Canada and expulsion from the game for Edler - though it could be longer as this will definitely come under review, the guys were unable to take advantage and took their own hooking penalty during their PP. Gratefully, this all happened in the last minutes of the period. The Team will be able to regroup, get info on Eric and steel their resolve for the sweetest revenge of all - winning this quarterfinal. The hit put fire in their bellies, I hope Lindy reminded them that the best thing they can do now for their leader is to win this game for him.

2nd period underway and still no word on Eric.

ROCK FRICKIN ON TEAM CANADA!

Early in 2nd with a couple of minutes of 5 on 4 left in Canada's PP, Steven Stamkos finds the net. And Canada's most prolific goal-scorer in this tourney gets 1 on the board for Canada.

ROCK ON STEVEN!

1 - zip Canada.

OOOOOOOh..........we came so close. Canada almost got a buzzer-beater in the final seconds of the 2nd P. The period ends with Canada still up 1 to 0 over Sweden. Well played period by our guys. They got it back together.

GO TEAM CANADA. ROCK THE ICE, GUYS. THIS ONE'S FOR ERIC :canada:

It was Andrew Ladd after taking the hooking penalty erasing two minutes of the team's 5 minute PP, who came back in the 2nd to shoot Steven the pass that saw Canada get on the board first.

TSN is remembering Wayne Fleming who died back in March of brain cancer. Mr Fleming was enormously instrumental in making Hockey Canada what it is today. His contributions to the sport of hockey in Canada are almost beyond measure. Suffice to say, Wayne Fleming was loved by all who knew him. RIP Mr Fleming. Thank you, Sir.

3rd Period just underway

Oh, oh........Hamhuis took a penalty and Henrik Sedin set up a beauty pass to Danielson who scored on the PP. Come on Canada!

End of 3rd score 3 to 3 and we are into 10 minutes of OT

Fans are getting their money's worth with this one.........we are off to a shoot-out.

And Sweden takes it in the shoot-out. Team Canada loses in the QF. Shoot. What a way to end a game and the tourney - darn. Well done in the series, Team Canada. You played well and I thank you. :canada:

Congratulations to Team Sweden - the addition of the Sedin twins won you this game. Good on Daniel and Henrik.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
yeah, good game, sweden has the advantage on that big ice, they are use to it, even the ones who

play here, they grew up playing on big ice, and the game is definitely different.

congrats to sweden, and good tourney canada

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Alex Edler is suspended for the remainder of the championship. Eric Stall is to undergo an MRI today.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Alex Edler is suspended for the remainder of the championship. Eric Stall is to undergo an MRI today.

yep, thought that would happen.

he definitely has brain freezes, because he isn't naturally a violent player, but he just can't
think sometimes, and does stupid things, like he did to 'smith', and now staal, all of his absent minded,
more mild things in games, that causes puck to be overturned.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
yep, thought that would happen.

he definitely has brain freezes, because he isn't naturally a violent player, but he just can't
think sometimes, and does stupid things, like he did to 'smith', and now staal, all of his absent minded,
more mild things in games, that causes puck to be overturned.

A brain freeze it was, talloola..........don't know if you saw it but I tell you it was really upsetting. No one ever wants to see a player no matter who they are, go down like that ........and from an act of carelessness - how sad. He needs to be sent down again and learn a few lessons before he does anymore damage. You think?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
A brain freeze it was, talloola..........don't know if you saw it but I tell you it was really upsetting. No one ever wants to see a player no matter who they are, go down like that ........and from an act of carelessness - how sad. He needs to be sent down again and learn a few lessons before he does anymore damage. You think?

yes, I was watching the game. don't know what you mean by 'sent down'.

I think he was trying to decide how he was going to 'stop' staal, and missed the split second he had
to actually use his body, so before staal got past him, out came the leg.

not a conscious decision, an instinctive decision, a mistake.
he definitely wasn't targeting staal's leg in a predatory manner, that isn't his nature.

he will be devastated over this, mad at himself, and this situation alone, along
with the suspension, and embarrassment, and realization of the damage to staal, will be enough punishment to allow him
'never' to stick out his leg again.

it isn't a rare happening, I have seen these types of hits for the past 50 years, they do happen.

he is out of the tournament, and I am wondering if the IIHF will go any further than that.
They could expand it to the olympics if they see fit, I hope not.

Staal hasn't had the results of the MRI yet, don't know if he has a serious injury or not, for his sake, I hope he doesn't need surgery.

I see torres has himself in trouble again, the latest hit isn't as bad as the
previous ones, but definitely border line, stoll is injured, can't play, and
torres is a repeat offender, so he doesn't have any room to cast any doubt, he
needs to back off.
I just said to my husband, not two weeks ago, that I thought torres was starting
to hit very very hard, and if he doesn't watch it, he will cross that line again,
he is an amazingly strong man, doesn't seem to know just how strong he is.

oh, do you mean sent down to the minors, 'no' he won't be sent to the minors, as punishment,
it doesn't work that way with a very established player like him, only with rookies, or other
borderline talented players, who are trying to make their way up to the nhl.
He has been in the nhl for a long time now, he can serve his suspension, learn from the mistake,
and move on with his game.
Don't have a clue what the canucks are planning for him, but this incident won't make a difference
as to what they do with him, they might have been ready to trade him anyway, don't know, they
are definitely going to make some bold moves, and there are a lot of teams that would want him.

Last edited:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

I think he was trying to decide how he was going to 'stop' staal, and missed the split second he had
to actually use his body, so before staal got past him, out came the leg.

not a conscious decision, an instinctive decision, a mistake.
he definitely wasn't targeting staal's leg in a predatory manner, that isn't his nature.

he will be devastated over this, mad at himself, and this situation alone, along
with the suspension, and embarrassment, and realization of the damage to staal, will be enough punishment to allow him
'never' to stick out his leg again.

it isn't a rare happening, I have seen these types of hits for the past 50 years, they do happen.

he is out of the tournament, and I am wondering if the IIHF will go any further than that.
They could expand it to the olympics if they see fit, I hope not.

Staal hasn't had the results of the MRI yet, don't know if he has a serious injury or not, for his sake, I hope he doesn't need surgery.

I see torres has himself in trouble again, the latest hit isn't as bad as the
previous ones, but definitely border line, stoll is injured, can't play, and
torres is a repeat offender, so he doesn't have any room to cast any doubt, he
needs to back off.
I just said to my husband, not two weeks ago, that I thought torres was starting
to hit very very hard, and if he doesn't watch it, he will cross that line again,
he is an amazingly strong man, doesn't seem to know just how strong he is.

oh, do you mean sent down to the minors, 'no' he won't be sent to the minors, as punishment,
it doesn't work that way with a very established player like him, only with rookies, or other
borderline talented players, who are trying to make their way up to the nhl.
He has been in the nhl for a long time now, he can serve his suspension, learn from the mistake,
and move on with his game.
Don't have a clue what the canucks are planning for him, but this incident won't make a difference
as to what they do with him, they might have been ready to trade him anyway, don't know, they
are definitely going to make some bold moves, and there are a lot of teams that would want him.

Thanks so much for this, talloola.

About to get underway.............US vs Switzerland in the Semi-Final of the World's on TSN

I don't have a favorite in this game, just hoping for some great hockey.

Earlier today the Fins took on Sweden and came away with a goose-egg. Sweden advances to the Gold Medal round in no small part due to the addition of the Sedin twins to the team. Rock on Henrik and Daniel! 3 to 0 - Sweden

Into the 3rd period and the Swiss still lead 1 - 0 but the USA managed to kill off 3 straight Swiss PPs so far. The Swiss, for the most part have out-played the USA who are guilty of way too many TOs.

...........oh, oh..............the Swiss just got another one.........burying a slapper to give the Swiss a 2 goal lead - wide open goal. USA needs to tighten up.

Switzerland will advance to the Gold Medal round against Sweden after shutting out Team USA.......winning it 3 zip. The Swiss outplayed, out-shot and were more disciplined then the Americans. Great game by the 'Cinderella' team of the tourney.

Looking forward to a great Gold Medal game.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Finland overcame a 2 - 0 deficit midway through the 3rd period of the Bronze Medal game to tie the game eventually taking it into OT. A ten-minute 4 on 4 solved nothing and it went to a shoot-out which the USA won. 3 - 2 final score and Team USA brings home the Bronze. Rock on Team USA.

The Gold Medal game between Switzerland and Sweden is set to go at 11 a.m. on TSN.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Correction on the time: 11:30 is the actual start of the Gold Medal game - the pre-game show just got underway.

Good luck to both teams.

2 to 1 for Sweden at end of !rst P.

The first goal was a beauty as Josi for the Swiss took the puck from the point and skated in to beat Enroth. Swiss 1 - Sweden 0 at 15:15 of the period. The first part of the period was all Swiss all the way save for a couple of Swedish flurries that quickly saw them back in their zone. One year ago Switzerland finished 11th in the World's.........earning them the moniker as the 'Cinderella' team of the tourney.

Unfortunately, in the one area that they most needed to be stalwart, they failed taking a penalty that gave Sweden who came into the medal game, with a 5 for 7 PP goal record, the chance they needed and Gustafsson didn't disappoint with a goal at 11:18 of the period.

At 9:35, after a 'check to the head' penalty by Switzerland, the twins once again worked their PP magic landing one in the net giving Sweden a 2 - 1 lead.

If that wasn't enough, the Swiss were charged with a 'too many men penalty'...............how the heck did that happen?? Thanks to a strong PK, the Swedes were held off the board. A couple of very close calls by Sweden seemed to stir the ire of Gerber who needs to maintain his cool a bit more a quit slapping the opponents legs.

Swiss Team has to stand back, take a deep breath and then get back to the type of hockey they were playing in the early minutes of the period. Don't cause battles. Don't get drawn into battles ...........and above all - Don't take penalties.

Sweden came out strong in the early going of the 2nd, while Switzerland appeared cautious and wary. They had spurts during the period but it was stern talking to by their coach that got them back in the game. Up until then the Swedes pretty well had it their way but failed to put any pucks in the net.

Switzerland had a chance at the 9:56 mark after a tripping call on Daniel Sedin but the Swedes mounted a great kill. Then it was Sweden's turn when hooking was called on Switzerland but again it a penalty kill team that kept Sweden off the board. Sweden outplayed the Swiss in this period..........hope the 3rd belongs to the Swiss.

Score remains 2 - 1 for Sweden end of 2nd

A 26 year old home ice curse is lifted as Sweden wins the Gold Medal. 5 - 1 final.

Switzerland came into the final with a 9 and 0 record and were the favored team as many questions surrounded the Swedish team. The addition of the Sedin twins to the line-up answered them quickly. Henrik scored two goals in this game - one an empty netter late in the 3rd that was reminiscent of the one he scored to advance his team to the final round.

Congratulations to Team Sweden. Well done.

Team Switzerland will wear the Silver which is in itself a huge accomplishment for this team. It is the furthest this team has ever come in any international hockey game..........VERY WELL DONE. They will most definitely be a team to watch in the future. Welcome to the World Stage of Hockey. As much as I like to see my country bring home medals, I was glad to see these two teams in the final.........it is great for international hockey and the future of the IIHF. Great Championship. Thanks to all the teams for some fabulous hockey.