2013 CFL Season

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Though the season openers are still a couple of months away, the CFL draft is set to take place on Monday, May 6th. All the info you need on the draft is available on the TSN website @ Prospect Central | CFL.ca | Official Site of the Canadian Football League

This is a special year for Rider fans as Saskatchewan will be hosting the Grey Cup - Yahoo! With the addition of Geroy Simon to our team last year, I am expecting to see a really solid receiving core led by our great QB, Darian Durant. First game for the Riders is set for July 5th...........I can hardly wait.

Rock on Riders............looking forward to a great year guys!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Interesting situation in the pre-season game tonight between the Esks and Lions as former back-up QB for the latter, faces his old roomie and best bud on a different side of the gridiron. So far, Mike has bragging rights.

The Esks lead the Lions by 9 points at half-time though not w/o some serious luck. Nicest play of the game so far was a 50-yd pass from Reilly to Kary Koch in the end zone. Koch's focus had to be total as he had two Lions right on top of him but managed to catch and secure the ball. Reilly evaded two defenders to allow himself room for the missile - all round great football play.

Lots of newbies still adjusting to their positions and responsibilities. One of the worst plays of the game so far came on a pass from Reilly which saw two of his receivers crash into each other neither of them managing to catch the ball. It was kind of funny actually. Kavis was shown shaking his head but not w/o the hint of a smile on his face.

Here we go - 3rd Q coming up.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Interesting situation in the pre-season game tonight between the Esks and Lions as former back-up QB for the latter, faces his old roomie and best bud on a different side of the gridiron. So far, Mike has bragging rights.

The Esks lead the Lions by 9 points at half-time though not w/o some serious luck. Nicest play of the game so far was a 50-yd pass from Reilly to Kary Koch in the end zone. Koch's focus had to be total as he had two Lions right on top of him but managed to catch and secure the ball. Reilly evaded two defenders to allow himself room for the missile - all round great football play.

Lots of newbies still adjusting to their positions and responsibilities. One of the worst plays of the game so far came on a pass from Reilly which saw two of his receivers crash into each other neither of them managing to catch the ball. It was kind of funny actually. Kavis was shown shaking his head but not w/o the hint of a smile on his face.

He
[/re we go - 3rd Q coming up.
QUTE]

i've got it on too mowich, just started watching before half time, seems there is lots of ironing out
to do, but that is what these games are all about.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

He
[/re we go - 3rd Q coming up.
QUTE]

i've got it on too mowich, just started watching before half time, seems there is lots of ironing out
to do, but that is what these games are all about.

This drive we are watching right now is the best in the game so far by the Lions, certainly the most sustained. Wouldn't be surprised to see them in the end zone.

Eskimos are killing themselves with penalties.

TD BC - big woo hoos!

Holy Smoke, talloola.............did you see that - what a fantastic play by Reilly and Koch - looks like those two have some great chemistry working for them.

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
This drive we are watching right now is the best in the game so far by the Lions, certainly the most sustained. Wouldn't be surprised to see them in the end zone.

Eskimos are killing themselves with penalties.

TD BC - big woo hoos!

Holy Smoke, talloola.............did you see that - what a fantastic play by Reilly and Koch - looks like those two have some great chemistry working for them.

i'm listening 90% of the time, as I'm on the computer as well. I'm researching flight times from pr.george
to vanc'r to comox. My choc. lab puppy will be flying about sept 1 or 2nd, so Im just sitting here making
notes of the best flight so that he won't be sitting in vancouver waiting to change planes for very long.

nothing like being an early planner, but thats me.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Awesome! is this your first pooch from a breeder?

sorry for the delay in replying. No, I have bought puppies before from breeders, and
I was a breeder of shelties for a few years, then labradors for years. My last lab from
my breedings passed on a year ago, bought another one, and now I'm buying a second one.

we are lab people, field trials, show ring etc., but sort of retired, just doing field
work for the enjoyment of teaching the dogs, and the outdoors, and excercise.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
watching Montreal-Winnipeg with that new stadium

looks real good

but for some reason TSN does not show the cheerleaders!

Not a bad game to start the season, gopher. Pretty awesome new stadium for the Bombers and their fans. Lots of miscues and penalties by both sides but also many great pass receptions. Really glad to see Buck made it through an entire game in one piece - seems he may have learned a thing or two about protecting himself. Calvillo got sacked 4 times much to his chagrin. Washington's 80-yard kick-off return for a TD was one of the coolest plays of the game. The fans got their money's worth though not the win.

Final score- 38 to 33 for the Als

Hamilton vs T.O. - 4pm PST/7pm EST
BC vs Calgary - 7pm PST/10pm EST

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Not a bad game to start the season, gopher. Pretty awesome new stadium for the Bombers and their fans. Lots of miscues and penalties by both sides but also many great pass receptions. Really glad to see Buck made it through an entire game in one piece - seems he may have learned a thing or two about protecting himself. Calvillo got sacked 4 times much to his chagrin. Washington's 80-yard kick-off return for a TD was one of the coolest plays of the game. The fans got their money's worth though not the win.

Final score- 38 to 33 for the Als

Hamilton vs T.O. - 4pm PST/7pm EST
BC vs Calgary - 7pm PST/10pm EST

how are things with geroy, mowich, is he ready to go, or still laid up.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
how are things with geroy, mowich, is he ready to go, or still laid up.

Geroy won't be in the opener tonight, talloola........still out with an 'undisclosed injury' - darn it. :-( Really looking forward to watching him play in the Green and White.

31 to25 at the half in the Hamilton vs Toronto game. Over 500 yards of combined offense so far. 104 kick-off return by Lamar for the Ti-Cats.........beat Washington's return last night by 4 yards. Tuzzie is having a great night for the Cats. Both QBs are throwing well - lots of multi-yard passes and great catches. If this keeps up we'll have a fantastic opener in TO too.

GO TI-CATS, GO.............ROCK THE STADIUM GUYS!

39 to 34 for the Argos over the Ti-Cats. Fabulous aerial game. Over 600 yards of total offense. Very little ground game by either team. Swayze Waters was taken out of the game after the initial kick-off in the opening 2nd half - he came back very late in the 4th to kick a convert but had to be carried off the field by his line-mates. A variety of players took over the kickin duties for TO including Spencer Watt who after scoring a TD followed up by kicking the convert then the kick-off to the Cats.

The BC vs Calgary game is just underway.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
It was only a football game, but in a city in need of something to cheer for, their football team came through in grand fashion. Prior to the game, Cornish promised he would donate $10 for every yard he gained against the Lions - he got 172 yards on the ground and another 20 in the air. The Stampeders made the Lions look ordinary last night. They won on the ground - Jon Cornish accounted for over half of the yardage gained - and they won in the air. They kept up the pressure - Charleston Hughes sacked Lulay 3 times and for the most part they played a very disciplined game unlike the Lions who gave up yardage on way too many penalties.

The Lions had more than penalties to worry about last night as errant snaps from their centers cost them. Matt Normans' snap bounced off Travis' chest and into the hands of a Calgary defender - the Stamps took full advantage scoring a TD on the turnover. Later, Tim Cronk snapped one over the head of the bearded wonder Hugh O'Neil who was forced to kick the ball out of his end zone for another Calgary point.

The Stamps led the Lions 31 to 6 going into half-time and they never surrendered the lead. The Lions were able to respond in the second half but it was too little and far too late as Calgary went on to win the game 44 to 32. Well done Stampeders.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
My Riders won their first game of the season but not w/o some controversy. Dwight Anderson took 2 - count them two - objectionable conduct penalties late in the 3rd Q - not for fighting or a nasty hit but because he was trash talking an Edmonton coach on the sideline. In spite of his line-mates trying their best to calm him down, he continued to argue and was visibly disruptive on the sidelines. Had I been there, I would have cold-cocked the SOB. He tries anything like that again, and he better be history. The last thing the team needs is some idiot with an agenda of their own distracting them from what really counts - winning football games. There, now I feel better.

Now back to the game. Sask scored on their opening drive and their next possession to lead 14 to zip in the 1rst Q. Admittedly, it was not w/o some help from the Eskimos D who had several cases of nervous nellies jumping early and calling down procedure penalties on themselves. Kory Sheets was the recipient of the first Durant pass for a TD and Taj Smith got the second.

The Saskatchewan defence went to work each and every time Edmonton got the ball. The Chickman, Keith Shologan and Ben Heenan along with their teammates harried, harrassed and sacked Eskimo QB Mike Reilly throughout the game. He was intercepted twice and the Eskimos turned the ball over twice - Sask got 14 pts on the TOs. One of the interceptions came on the last play of the 2nd Q as Reilly, backed up near his goal line scrambled to get away from the Sask defenders and threw an errant pass which was intercepted by Sask's Renauld Williams who promptly ran it into the end zone to put the Riders ahead 22 to 1.

Ryan Getzlaf lunged over the goal line for another Sask TD around the 11:04 mark in the 3rd and the Riders led 20 to 1. Sam Hurl forced an Edmonton TO at the midway mark of the 3rd. Kory Sheets took the ball to the 5 yard line and Scott McHenry put another 6 on the board for the Riders. Sask had just scored a total of 21 points in 5 minutes. Score: 36 to 1.

Late in the 3rd the Eskimos were able to put three on the board courtesy of a Grant Shaw FG - their only other point came off a long boot to the end zone. After Sask was forced to concede a two pointer, the Eskimos only trailed by 30 pts.

Diamond Ferri intercepted another Reilly pass then suffered a tremendous hit by the Esks O'Donnell which saw Ferri woozily leaving the field for the dressing rooms - not w/o a goofy grin on his face. The TO resulted in a 24-yard FG by Chris Milo and Sask led 39 to 6 early in the 4th Q.

Finally at 6:36 in the 4th, Freddie Stamps got 6 on the board for the Esks though the following attempt at a two-point convert went for naught when Weldon Brown intercepted the pass in the end zone and ran it out. He was called for objectionable conduct when seen to bounce the ball off the back of an Edmonton defender.

Grant Shaw was able to up the Edmonton scoring with two FGs very late in the 4th.

Final score: 39 to 18

Oh..............and Rob Baggs actually caught and held onto the ball.......will wonders never cease.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
My Riders won their first game of the season but not w/o some controversy. Dwight Anderson took 2 - count them two - objectionable conduct penalties late in the 3rd Q - not for fighting or a nasty hit but because he was trash talking an Edmonton coach on the sideline. In spite of his line-mates trying their best to calm him down, he continued to argue and was visibly disruptive on the sidelines. Had I been there, I would have cold-cocked the SOB. He tries anything like that again, and he better be history. The last thing the team needs is some idiot with an agenda of their own distracting them from what really counts - winning football games. There, now I feel better.

Now back to the game. Sask scored on their opening drive and their next possession to lead 14 to zip in the 1rst Q. Admittedly, it was not w/o some help from the Eskimos D who had several cases of nervous nellies jumping early and calling down procedure penalties on themselves. Kory Sheets was the recipient of the first Durant pass for a TD and Taj Smith got the second.

The Saskatchewan defence went to work each and every time Edmonton got the ball. The Chickman, Keith Shologan and Ben Heenan along with their teammates harried, harrassed and sacked Eskimo QB Mike Reilly throughout the game. He was intercepted twice and the Eskimos turned the ball over twice - Sask got 14 pts on the TOs. One of the interceptions came on the last play of the 2nd Q as Reilly, backed up near his goal line scrambled to get away from the Sask defenders and threw an errant pass which was intercepted by Sask's Renauld Williams who promptly ran it into the end zone to put the Riders ahead 22 to 1.

Ryan Getzlaf lunged over the goal line for another Sask TD around the 11:04 mark in the 3rd and the Riders led 20 to 1. Sam Hurl forced an Edmonton TO at the midway mark of the 3rd. Kory Sheets took the ball to the 5 yard line and Scott McHenry put another 6 on the board for the Riders. Sask had just scored a total of 21 points in 5 minutes. Score: 36 to 1.

Late in the 3rd the Eskimos were able to put three on the board courtesy of a Grant Shaw FG - their only other point came off a long boot to the end zone. After Sask was forced to concede a two pointer, the Eskimos only trailed by 30 pts.

Diamond Ferri intercepted another Reilly pass then suffered a tremendous hit by the Esks O'Donnell which saw Ferri woozily leaving the field for the dressing rooms - not w/o a goofy grin on his face. The TO resulted in a 24-yard FG by Chris Milo and Sask led 39 to 6 early in the 4th Q.

Finally at 6:36 in the 4th, Freddie Stamps got 6 on the board for the Esks though the following attempt at a two-point convert went for naught when Weldon Brown intercepted the pass in the end zone and ran it out. He was called for objectionable conduct when seen to bounce the ball off the back of an Edmonton defender.

Grant Shaw was able to up the Edmonton scoring with two FGs very late in the 4th.

Final score: 39 to 18

Oh..............and Rob Baggs actually caught and held onto the ball.......will wonders never cease.

are both brothers named ryan, mowich, lol, sorry just teasing, I know who you meant, couldn't resist.
what is the brothers name, can't remember.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
are both brothers named ryan, mowich, lol, sorry just teasing, I know who you meant, couldn't resist.
what is the brothers name, can't remember.

OOPs..........my bad................good catch, talloola.............ours (Rider's) is Chris - not Ryan. :roll::lol:

Guess I am still a bit in hockey mode. LOL!