Brian Burke is Kicking *** !!!!!

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
I don't like the man at all but he has (arguably) done a lot for hockey-he also has the money to crucify whoever posted that **** about his personal life-the money and the will.

Brian Burke sues online commenters, claims defamation
[Ex-Toronto Maple Leafs GM says reputation damaged by affair rumours

Brian Burke now works as a part-time scout for the Anaheim Ducks.

Former Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke has filed a lawsuit with B.C. Supreme Court, saying he was defamed in online comments accusing him of having an extra-marital affair with a sports reporter.

Burke alleges the online comments published by 18 people, whose identities are unknown to him, are untrue.

The statements, which the court documents say were widely circulated on social media, claim that Burke was fired as the president and general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs because what the comments say was a sexual relationship with Rogers Sportsnet reporter Hazel Mae.

"Contrary to popular belief, the reason for Burke's firing was not his willingness to pull off the Roberto Luongo trade..." says one of the comments noted in the court documents. "Well it didn't take long for Brian Burke and Hazel Mae to hook up. In the summer of 2012, Sportsnet removed her from the glass desk because she wouldn't fit, insisting that she stand while on air."

The online postings went on to suggest that Mae was pregnant, and that the "lucky dad" is Burke.

Burke's lawyer releases statement

In a statement released on Friday, Burke's lawyer Peter Gall said the comments, allegedly made under pseudonyms such as "Slobberface" and "Mowerman," are false and defamatory, and that they have hurt both Burke's and Mae's families.

"Brian has decided that it is time to stop people who post comments on the Internet from thinking they can fabricate wild stories with impunity," Gall said. "Brian is determined to find the authors of the lie about him and those who have circulated the lie."

The court documents say Burke is suing for losses and damages to his reputation. His lawyer is also seeking to have each of the 18 defendants restrained from publishing the statements on the Internet.

None of the claims have been proven in court, and a statement of defence has not been filed.

Burke, who is married to CTV News Channel anchor Jennifer Burke, was fired as the general manager of the Leafs in January. The former Vancouver Canucks general manager is now the part-time scout for the Anaheim Ducks.

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
I don't like the man at all but he has (arguably) done a lot for hockey-he also has the money to crucify whoever posted that **** about his personal life-the money and the will.

Our society is so screwed up. To think it is cool to put a story out there about someone that has no basis in fact is just wrong! To put it out there speaks volumes about that persons self worth and self asteem. Then when scum bag people in the media get paid to write this trash, without having to be able to prove what they say, print or post; I guess the little insecure creeps in our society find it cool to emulate.

I heard that he ran a brothel in Vegas.

Lame comment.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
And for anyone interested in what the woman he's not sleeping with looks like:

hazel mae is a well known sports reporter, and has been for many years, and the picture you have posted,
I would think is quite old. She was reporting while pregnant not so long ago, she still looks very attractive, but has matured some, since motherhood, no longer looking like the 20 year which, it
seems she was in the picture.

She must be in her mid to late 30s by now.

Our society is so screwed up. To think it is cool to put a story out there about someone that has no basis in fact is just wrong! To put it out there speaks volumes about that persons self worth and self asteem. Then when scum bag people in the media get paid to write this trash, without having to be able to prove what they say, print or post; I guess the little insecure creeps in our society find it cool to emulate.

I don't remember hearing any media report this story, seems it only came from the internet, but the news
of the law suit is from media. I'm certainly not a fan of media, I criticize them all the time, but don't
think they reported what the internet people accused him of, until 'after' the
news of burke's law suit.

Lame comment.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Not a fan either, Bill but hiding behind the internet and posting unsubstantiated garbage is the mark of a moral coward. IMO