2013 women's world hockey championships

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Canada just defeated Switzerland 13 - 0
In an earlier game Canada beat the U.S. in a shoot out.

I just heard about this tournament fifteen minutes ago. I didn't see either of these games. They
were both on the tube.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

I just heard about this tournament fifteen minutes ago. I didn't see either of these games. They
were both on the tube.

yes, tsn is showing them.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

were both on the tube.

Watched both these games. The game against the US was not one of our best but the team managed to tie it in the last minutes of the third forcing an OT. Nothing was settled in OT and it came to the shoot-out. Jennifer Wakefield scored the goal that gave our Canadians the win.

The game against the Swiss which was played without our Captain Hayley Wickenheiser and assistant captain Caroline Ouellette both out with injuries was a blow-out. The game began slowly and the Swiss had some chances to score but once Canada got a couple on the board, it was the Canadians all the way. The Swiss goalie stopped 54 shots and was named player of the match for the Swiss - a well-deserved honor.

Marie-Philip Poulin scored 4 goals for Team Canada, the first time a Canadian has done so since 1994. Rock on Marie.

Our next game is against Finland on Friday. Check TSN listings for the time.

GO CANADA GO :canada:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Thanks for the game summary Mowich. Were both Wickenheiser and Ouelette injured in the game against the U.S.?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Thanks for the game summary Mowich. Were both Wickenheiser and Ouelette injured in the game against the U.S.?

You are most welcome, juan. Hayley and Caroline were both injured during the U.S. game though little is being said about their injuries or how they acquired them. It was not immediately obvious during the game either.

The timing of the hockey games just happened to fall either between the Ford Curling or after thus allowing me watch them. Canada tops the board in scoring leaders with Poulin first and Wakefield second. The US is next with 3rd and 4th spots then the Canadians have 5th, 6th, 9th and 10th spots.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You are most welcome, juan. Hayley and Caroline were both injured during the U.S. game though little is being said about their injuries or how they acquired them. It was not immediately obvious during the game either.

Interesting that both the captain and the assistant captain are taken out of the game with injuries.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Interesting that both the captain and the assistant captain are taken out of the game with injuries.

From what I have been reading, Caroline might have been good to go but the coach decided to hold her back one more game and give some of the newer ladies a chance. The Swiss have never even come close to beating Canada at the World's and were struggling so far in the tourney.

Their absence provided a real challenge to the team. One that they met with grit and determination. It did give the newcomers a chance to shine...........and shine they did. Four of those new members are Bram Bailey - forward; Laura Fortino, Courtney Birchard and Lauriane Rougeau - defence. These four young ladies already have international experience having played the U.S. team for the Gold Medal in last year's World Championship. They had a crushing loss to the U.S. in the preliminary round but were able to take the medal round to OT for the win. It was Canada's first in Women's Hockey since 2007.

GO LADIES! GO TEAM CANADA! :canada:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Team USA is on the ice right now in Ottawa for their game against the Swiss. Team Canada will still be w/o their Captain Hayley Wickenheiser but assistant Cap Caroline Ouellette will be back for the ladies game against the Fins later on today.

GO TEAM CANADA GO!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I stumbled on this by accident the Canada America game it was a good game close
and exciting

The US just got two quick PP goals - the Swiss need to be more disciplined as this is their third penalty of the 1rst period and you can't be that lax against such a great team as the Americans.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The US won their game against the Swiss today. Currently Team Canada is on the ice against the Fins. After a bit of a slow start, the Canadians have managed to out-shoot the Fins 19 to 5 and put 3 goals on the board. They will take the 3 point lead into the second period.

GO TEAM CANADA! :canada:

Fun fact: There are more than 90,000 young girls involved in hockey in Canada today. From the looks of the packed stands in Ottawa, quite a few of them are in attendance. Rock on Fans!

Megan Agosta put another on the board for Canada in the dieing minutes of the 2nd P. Canada has pretty well had their way with the Fins so far.

4 - 0 at the end of the 2nd.

GO TEAM CANADA, GO! :canada:

Megan Agosta just put another one on the board for Canada who now lead 5 to 0 in the 3rd.

Sarah Vallencourt just put another one in the net.

6 to 0 for Canada

Jenn Wakefield just got one and as I was posting this Megan Agosta got her hat-trick.

Canada leads 8 to 0 and I would say they have the game well in hand.

Fans in Ottawa set a world record for attendance at a single Women's World hockey event beating out the previous record set NY's day in 2010. Rock on fans.

No one saw this huge loss coming for the Fins as they had played so well especially against the Americans but Canada was not to be denied today. Another shut-out win for our gals 8 to zip. ROCK ON LADIES!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Canada topped Pool A with 8 points while the Russians topped Pool B with 9 at the IIHF World Women's Hockey tournament. The two teams will play each other tonight while the U.S., in second place to Canada will play Finland in the semi-finals.

Hayley Wickenheiser will be in the line-up for Canada tonight though she is still in pain from a previous back injury.

Game time on TSN is 4:30 PST

GO LADIES GO! ROCK THE ICE TEAM CANADA! :canada:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Russia came through Pool B without a loss to their name and entered the semi-final against Canada a much improved team from the last time they were in the World's. However, as the game progressed it is clear they have some work to do before they gain the same super power status of the Canadians and Americans.

Canada ruled the ice for the majority of the game pinning the Russian ladies deep in their zone for much of it. Good as the Canadians were though it was looking as if they couldn't buy a goal. Russian goalie Anna Prugova shut the door on 16 of the Canadians shots before Hayley Irwin winged one in with 41 seconds left in the 1rst period.

But the gate had opened and early in the 2nd P, the Canadians got two goals in less than two minutes off the sticks of Natalie Spooner and Marie Philip Poulin to lead 3 to 0. Team Canada clearly outskated the Russians. They were also much better on the forecheck, passing and puck control.

Jennifer Wakefield would put another up for Canada before Svetlana Tkachyova got one by Shannon on a Russian PP. It was the only goal they would score against the Canadians. On the next Russian PP, Jayna Hefford would get her second short-handed goal of the tourney to put Canada ahead 5 to 1. Marie Philip Poulin woud add another of her own midway through the 2nd to close out the period with Team Canada comfortably in the lead going into the 3rd.

Russia changed goalies for the start of the 3rd but her replacement still allowed Canada in for two more. Megan Agosta scored at the 17:44 mark and Rebecca Johnson only let 22 seconds go by before getting one of her own. The game was clearly over by that point and though Canada continued to press the Russian ladies it was more formality than necessity. Final score 8 to 1.

It was another clear win for Team Canada, masterful in execution. If I have any remaining questions they would be concerning goal-tending. Not for lack of skill or ability - more that Shannon Szabados was never really tested during the prelims, nor was she in this game. Shannon only faced 16 shots in the game against the Russians. I would have liked to see her face a few more shots along the way if for nothing else than to prepare her for the blitz she will face tomorrow playing the Americans.

Hayley Wickenheiser played all her regular shifts until Canada clearly had an unbeatable lead when she finally saw less ice-time. Hayley looked as if she was still in some pain when interviewed at the first intermission.

Great win by our ladies and gives them a real push going into the Gold Medal game tomorrow against their archrival - The Americans. :p

TSN is broadcasting the Gold Medal game tomorrow at 4:30 PST/7:30 EST. The Bronze Medal game will be on TSN at 9:30 PST/12:30 EST tomorrow.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Congratulations to the US Women's Hockey Team on their Gold Medal win yesterday. They played the better game and deserve to take home the trophy.

It would have been nice to see Team Canada play the way they did during the prelims but they did not. Gone was the great forechecking, passing and defence so obvious throughout the tourney. Had our ladies played this way in the semi, it might well have been Russia the Americans faced in the final. Not our best day, for sure.

If other teams don't start raising their level of play in order to make it to the final, Canada and the US might just as well agree to meet each year and exchange the trophy.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Congratulations to the US Women's Hockey Team on their Gold Medal win yesterday. They played the better game and deserve to take home the trophy.

It would have been nice to see Team Canada play the way they did during the prelims but they did not. Gone was the great forechecking, passing and defence so obvious throughout the tourney. Had our ladies played this way in the semi, it might well have been Russia the Americans faced in the final. Not our best day, for sure.

If other teams don't start raising their level of play in order to make it to the final, Canada and the US might just as well agree to meet each year and exchange the trophy.

I thought the Russians were very quick against Canada even if they didn't score a lot of goals. The Olympics are in Russia
next year........Maybe the Russians are hiding in the bush.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I thought the Russians were very quick against Canada even if they didn't score a lot of goals. The Olympics are in Russia
next year........Maybe the Russians are hiding in the bush.

[/FONT]

I have to disagree juan. The Canadians spent a good portion of the game in the Russian zone and once they had a few goals up on them the Russians seemed to lose focus - just the way I saw the game. I have read elsewhere that the Russians knew they wouldn't beat Canada - one reason they didn't put their best goalie in net - and were saving their best for the Bronze Medal game. You could be right about them hiding in the bush though.

Gotta say that Phil's sister is one fabulous hockey player - wonder if she gives him any advice about his game. :smile: