Team Canada Rockin' the Ford World Men's Curling Championship

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

From left to right; Brad Jacobs - Skip; Ryan Fry - Third; EJ Harnden - Second; Ryan Harnden - Lead. The photo was taken at the 2013 Brier where the Northern Ontario rink won the right to wear the red jersey and represent Canada at the World's.

And so far, they are doing a bang up job. Sitting alone atop the leader board, they have won 4 straight draws. Perhaps their biggest test came last night as they faced two-time World Champions, Team Scotland. Canadian curling fans were looking forward to the match-up as a true measure of our guys skills. They weren't disappointed. After faltering slightly in the first two ends, the team scored 2 in the third and hardly looked back. By the end of the 8th it was clear that Canada was in control so it wasn't a surprise to see hand shakes all around at the end of the 9th as guys took the match with a decisive 9 to 4 win that saw fans on their feet for a standing ovation.

This afternoon Team Canada played Switzerland, again winning a victory with a score of 7 to 2 and another game that didn't go to 10 ends. Tonight the will face Team USA who currently sit at 1 and 3.

GO TEAM CANADA GO! - ROCK THE ICE GUYS :canada:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Curling fans are beginning to wonder if there are any shots the Canadians can't make. Double take-outs, triple take-outs and draws so precise they leave commentators speechless. If there are any we have yet to see them.

The game began with a blank in the first end then Brad went to work in the 2nd. On his last shot facing an empty house with a single Canadian rock just outside the ring, Brad came down with a beauty that clipped his rock sending it and his thrown rock into the ring to score a double and the Canadians never really looked back. Team Canada held the U.S. to a single in the 3rd, posted a single of their own in the 4th, forced the U.S. to another single in the 5th, then they blew the house wide open with a score of 4 in the 6th that saw the U.S. pull out of the game early as they realized they had no answer for the Canadian team who took the match 7 to 2. It was the second early ending for our Canadians.

Today they play the Czechs who have a 2 and 3 record then later today they meet Norway who come into the match with a 3 and 2 record.

ROCK ON TEAM CANADA! :canada:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
My wife is a huge curling fan. We had on the match against Scotland. It was quite impressive. Canada had every shot they needed. The wow moment was when they hit the Scotland stone to hit their stone to take out the shot Scotland stone. I think in that end it forced Scotland to take 1 and give up last rock which Canada used to close the door on them next end.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Have you ever considered doing sports for your community newspaper?

No, actually I hadn't petros. I have written a column about our local community for the 100 Mile Free Press though. Thanks for the compliment. :smile:

My wife is a huge curling fan. We had on the match against Scotland. It was quite impressive. Canada had every shot they needed. The wow moment was when they hit the Scotland stone to hit their stone to take out the shot Scotland stone. I think in that end it forced Scotland to take 1 and give up last rock which Canada used to close the door on them next end.

That match against Scotland was well played, Ski. Our guys did well to win though Davie and Tom were not on top of their game and that helped the team. There have been a few 'wow' moments by the Canadians this tourney. Beautiful set-up shots by Ryan Harnden; spectacular take-outs by his brother EJ; precise draws and take-outs by both the Third and the Skip. No lack of talent on our Canadian team, for sure.

Too bad your wife isn't on the forum. Love chatting about curling. Thanks for the reply.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm 'home' right now, for my Dad's 60th birthday.

To celebrate, we bought him full event tickets, to the 2014 Tim Horton's Brier in Kamloops. He teared up when he opened it, and its timing with the Worlds being on tv, couldn't have been better if we'd planned it. He's been like a kid on Christmas morning about the whole thing. I've never watched so much curling in my life, as I have in the last 48

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I'm 'home' right now, for my Dad's 60th birthday.

To celebrate, we bought him full event tickets, to the 2014 Tim Horton's Brier in Kamloops. He teared up when he opened it, and its timing with the Worlds being on tv, couldn't have been better if we'd planned it. He's been like a kid on Christmas morning about the whole thing. I've never watched so much curling in my life, as I have in the last 48

Oh Karrie, I bet your Dad is over the moon. What a wonderful gift. Good thing you got them early. There is only seating for 5000 for an event that can easily draw 10,000. Glad to hear you've been able to see some draws. I am so proud of our guys. They take their hits and come back strong and dedicated. They played so well against Norway tonight after losing so badly to the Czechs earlier in the day.

GO TEAM CANADA GO! :canada:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
My only complaint is that I really, honestly, would love to see 'play to the end', not 'play to the win'.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
It was a bittersweet day for the Canadians at the Fords today. The bitterness came in their game against the Czechs.

They were handed their first loss by the team from the Czech Republic. After blanking the first, getting 2 in the 2nd then holding the Czechs to a single in the 3rd, Canada only managed a single of their own in the 4th to lead 3 to 1. The Czechs got 2 in the 5th to tie, stole a single in the 6th to lead. Canada came back in the 7th but only managed a single point to again tie the game. They limited the Czechs to a single in the 8th but in the 9th, Brad missed a double take-out and the Czech team got another steal and a lead of 2 points going into the 10th end. The Canadians needed two to tie, three to win but it was not to be. With some fabulous shot making the Czechs ran Team Canada out of rocks for the win. Big congrats to the Czechs, they really picked up their game in the latter half and outplayed Canada.

Questions immediately arose about the loss by Canada. Meh, I think the loss is good for the team – better now than later in the tourney. This loss will make the game against Norway this evening that much more interesting.

And that is exactly what happened.

The Canadians managed a deuce in the 1rst against the strong play of the Norwegian team. A miss on his last rock by Brad Jacobs ended in a deuce for Norway in the 2nd. The guys were back but not all the way. Good solid play by our guys and a missed shot by Norwegian Skip Thomas Ulsrud in the 3rd had Canada up by two leading 4 to 2. Norway blanked the 4th to carry the hammer into the 5th end. Great defence by the Canadians resulted in only a single by Norway who now trailed by 1. A heavy last draw by Brad Jacobs gave Norway a steal of 2 in the 6th and a 1 point lead.

Thomas missed an important take-out with his last shot leaving the Canadians with two near the button and a chance at 3 and Brad was absolutely perfect. Canada up 7 to 5 at the end of the 7th.

In the 8th, Norway came right back to score their deuce after another soft shot by Brad.

All the players wear mikes during the draws and viewers are often privy to what they are saying. It was clear from the beginning that Team Canada was looking for a blank to take the hammer to the 10th end. Fortunately that was not to be. After a couple of really bad misses by Norway, Canada put 3 more points on the board going into the final end with the lead.

The 10th was simply a bit of housekeeping by the Canadians - just make them go away - which they did to defeat Norway 10 to 7 in a really well played game by both teams.

And that was the sweetness.

A loss by Scotland tonight means that for now, Canada is alone top of the leader board with a 6 and 1 record. Scotland follows next at 5 and 2.

The team did well to come back after the loss. They still need some fine tuning but their ability to fight through the bad shots and still put points on the board was front and center in tonight's match against Norway. Well done, fellows.

Team Canada will play Japan tomorrow morning then Russia in the afternoon.

GO TEAM CANADA - ROCK THAT ICE GUYS! :canada:

My only complaint is that I really, honestly, would love to see 'play to the end', not 'play to the win'.

Actually makes more sense when you think about it. :smile:

Winning is great. It is what tourneys like these are all about. And not to take anything away from winning but......for me it is about sportsmanship, preparedness, skill, knowledge of rocks, ice and curl and most of all - belief. It is so exhilarating to watch a team - any team - when they are in the zone. When double take-outs result in 3 opponents rocks disappearing. The level of skill it takes to play in the Fords is beyond the comprehension of non-curling fans. But for those of us who love the sport, it what makes it that much more exciting.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
No, actually I hadn't petros. I have written a column about our local community for the 100 Mile Free Press though. Thanks for the compliment. :smile:
Do more. I'm expecting an article on Grey Cup on my desk by 26/11/13 or you're fired.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Do more. I'm expecting an article on Grey Cup on my desk by 26/11/13 or you're fired.

How about just on the forum..........or did you want to edit it first? :smile: I will, of course, be posting again on the CFL once the season gets underway...........which can't happen soon enough for me. :smile:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
How about just on the forum..........or did you want to edit it first? :smile: I will, of course, be posting again on the CFL once the season gets underway...........which can't happen soon enough for me. :smile:

How bout you and Taloola starting a hockey/football/curling/ forum paper.......................I'd read it and I don't even curl or play hockey............You two ladies make it sound right excitin !!:canada:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Another up and down day for our Canadians at the Ford World Men's Curling Championship on Wednesday.

The first draw of the day saw the Canadians playing the Japanese team and it was not a pretty game for our guys. Both Brad and Ryan Fry were off in spite of some beauty set-up shots by both Ryan Harnden and his brother EJ. The rocks and ice reading were a big problem for Brad throughout the match. To give the Canadians credit they never let up on the Japanese and gave their best to the end as it came down to a single shot to decide the game winner. The Japanese played a superb game against us and deserve full credit for the win.

The Canadians struggled again in the afternoon as they took on Russia. It has often been noted that teams doing poorly during a tourney somehow manage to up their abilities when playing Canada. This was somewhat true of the Japanese team who had been slowly improving their record of wins during the tourney but was especially true of the Russian team. The Russians came into the match with a 1 and 7 record but put that fact behind them as they played their best game of the tourney to date.

Once again, Canada had to dig deep to come up with some finesse shots just to stay in the game. Both Ryan and EJ worked hard to give their Skip a chance as they set guards perfectly end after end. EJ and Ryan Fry made some tricky take-outs leaving the Russians little to work with at times. Brad's shots in the first four or five ends were hit and miss. He had trouble judging both weight and the amount of curl. He was overheard saying to Ryan Fry, at one point, ' you guys are so worried about my out-turn' which was true - luckily he had just made a good shot - so there were smiles on both their faces.

Russia tied the game in the 8th end - 5 to 5 after coming back from being down 2 but Brad had been delivering better skip rocks as the game progressed and with a lot of help from the front end, managed to get his deuce in the 9th. Russia's luck and skill ran out in the 10th as a lovely shot by Brad with his last left them with a take-out shot for the win - and the Russian skip misjudged his weight crashing his rock to roll out for a steal of 1 and a win for Team Canada.

The team had last night and this morning off which will give them a chance to recoup, get some rest and put the past behind them. What counts now is the next draw they play , then the one after that - nothing more.

From comments made by a TSN host yesterday, I understand that Ryan Fry, EJ and Brad have not been feeling 100% physically. I can only imagine that the strain and stress of the competition is wearing on them too. That said, they have faced pressure before. As many curling fans know, the Brier is probably the premier curling event. The Worlds are fun to watch but the really great shots, end after end, are to be found at the Brier, IMHO. :smile: This team took the Brier by storm. They have the ability to call on the strengths needed to pull off the money shots. I hope they all got a good rest, had a good talk, some time alone and are ready to take on Denmark this afternoon.

The Danish team come in with a 6 and 3 record. After Scotland's win over China today, they now sit top of the board at 8 and 2. Canada currently sits at 7 and 2 but with a win today could once again tie.

GO TEAM CANADA GO! ROCK THE ICE GUYS AND HAVE SOME FUN! :canada:

How bout you and Taloola starting a hockey/football/curling/ forum paper.......................I'd read it and I don't even curl or play hockey............You two ladies make it sound right excitin !!:canada:
[/FONT]

I don't know Nug...........honestly what I write now is a labor of love. Were I too commit to a steady dose of it........the bloom might come off the rose, so to speak. I will still be posting on the CFL and MY Riders. :lol: I would have written about the Women World's Hockey but when I posted about the Junior World's there was very little interest. And while I do love writing, it takes time to put a decent sentences together, check the spelling (though I do have spellcheck - it can't read my mind yet), and all the while do my best to make what I write interesting.

I really enjoy reading talloola's posts on hockey - especially her insights into the Canucks - and her comments on the CFL.

Thank you for the compliment, Nug...........you sweetie. :smile:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The Canadians have but one chance left to enter the 1 – 2 play-offs after losing to Denmark today in their second to last game of round robin play. Winning means a bye while the #3 and #4 teams play for a chance at the medal round. Losing means going that same long route themselves – 3 games to make it to the Gold Medal playing the top teams in the tourney. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

Today's match was a game of hits and misses for the Canadians and to a lesser extent the Danes. Single points for the team with hammer were the order of the day until the 9th end when Denmark scored the first deuce of the game to lead 5 to 3. In the 10th with hammer, Canada had the end well set-up only to see a couple of great shots by the Danish Skip. Brad came up short on his first stone and Denmark won by running Canada out of stones.

I’ve run out of suggestions on how the team can improve. There was a real lack of communication between the front end and the Skip today. Brushers shouldn’t have to be asking where the Skip wants the stone as it approaches the house. Brad was noticeably snippy at times much different than the Brad Jacobs we saw earlier in the tournament. That Brad Jacobs had a game plan knew how to execute it no matter what shots the opponents made and had the entire team communicating on every shot.

Canadian curling fans are dearly hoping to see the latter Brad Jacobs turn up tonight. The front end can only do so much and they have faithfully and surely done their job end after end. But the malaise is starting to affect them too and unless something is done to stop it in its tracks, our hopes for the team will diminish even further.

BUCK UP BRAD! GO TEAM GO. BELIEVE IN EACH OTHER. :canada:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Thank you for the compliment, Nug...........you sweetie. :icon_smile:"""

Gaddam rite I am.

But, know where you're coming from.

Worked on the school paper many years ago, same same same same.

Lost the verve.

Don't you cause you is good.!!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Thank you for the compliment, Nug...........you sweetie. :icon_smile:"""

Gaddam rite I am.

But, know where you're coming from.

Worked on the school paper many years ago, same same same same.

Lost the verve.

Don't you cause you is good.!!

Hopefully with the intervention of the Universe, my next post will be a glowing review of Team Canada's win over Sweden. I've got butterflies for this one.

GO GUYS. PLAY YOUR HEARTS OUT! :canada:

Last edited:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
It all came down to a chance in a million take-out. A shot that even had Nik Edin shaking his head.........but it was all the Canadians had left. This was it - a chance at first place or a drop to fourth.

Team Canada entered the draw looking confident and relaxed and prior to the start were seen to be joking and chatting with the Swedish team who they know well having played them in previous events.

Sweden opened with the hammer and last rock but they had to battle all the way for their first deuce of the game. The 2nd draw saw Canada with the hammer making some great set-up shots only to have them effectively taken out with stunning shots by the Swedes. Both Brad's rocks were money for the first time in over 3 draws and he seemed to have regained his mojo. Canada tied the end with a deuce of their own.

By the 3rd end it was looking to be a Battle Royal all the way. Little misses by both teams still saw the stones ending in good positions in the house. Nik had to dig deep for a couple of real finesse shots just to get his next deuce. Again Team Canada had played a real solid end only to see the points go up for Sweden. They must have been wondering what else they could do to beat this team.

Every rock the Canadians threw in the 4th was perfect leaving Nik Edin with a tricky draw instead of his signature take-out shot and he hadn't been stellar on draws so far. It was just as the Canadians had hoped knowing that leaving him a take-out shot could mean the difference between scoring or giving up a steal. Nik missed, going deep on his last after Brad was solid gold on his first setting up a possible deuce for Canada. After the miss by Nik, Brad had to make a very tricky draw through three guards and he made it perfectly to put 3 on the board for Canada. The crowd went wild. My heart leapt for joy and I knew the boys were back in form.

The 5th end, played well by both teams but just a tad better by the Swedes had them putting another deuce on the board for a 1 point lead going into the break. It was beginning to seem as if the elevated play by the Canadians also saw the same for the Swedes. One could hardly fault either for their calls, reading of the ice or weight of the stones.

Back on the ice for the 6th, and with hammer the Canadians had the house set-up perfectly for a possible deuce only have that chance taken away by yet another outstanding take-out by Swedish Skip Niklas Edin and Canada was forced to take a single for the tie.

I don't know how many times I heard the TSN hosts state that Nik's shots had a 50/50 chance of being made - but made they were, everyone of them highlight of the night shots and key shots in their ends.

Team Canada never wavered and never stopped giving it their best and for that I give the guys much credit. Brad's numbers went from 72% in the last draw to 91% in this one - a great recovery for the skip.

The Swedes were held to a single in the 7th end as were the Canadians in the 8th. Then Sweden were able to put a deuce on the board in the 9th taking a 2 point lead into the 10th end.

Team Canada needed a deuce to tie and force an 11th end or a triple to win............and that's when it all came down to that final risky shot for it all.

The difference was only inches for the scoring stones but those inches were on the side of the Swedes and they took the draw 11 to 7.

It was a heart-breaker for sure. Team Canada will now have to battle their way up from 4th where they sit as a result of losing their prior draw in the afternoon.

Scotland will take on the Swedish team in the 1 - 2 Page Play-off later today. Tomorrow Team Canada will play the Danish team in a do or die match which will see the winner playing either Scotland or Denmark for a shot at Gold. The loser will be left to play for Bronze.

Team Northern Ontario came back from sitting 4th at the Brier to take the win. They have been here before. They know what they have to do to advance in the play-offs. I hope they are healthy, well rested and confident as they enter the play-offs tomorrow. Congrats on getting this far guys. Keep your heads up and brooms down. You can do this.

GO TEAM CANADA - GO! :canada:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
True Canadian Grit

Faced with a shot at a spot in the final or a drop to the Bronze medal game, our Canadian Men’s curling team chose the former.

They opened their drive to the final this morning when they met Denmark for the quarter-final. The Danes are a great young team with fantastic take-out ability and a good read of rocks and ice to call the correct shots.

Quarter-final Draw

Canada managed to hold Denmark who had hammer in the 1rst end to a draw for a single despite several good set-ups by the Danes. The Canadians had a few misses but overall played a solid end.

With the hammer in the 2nd, Canada set the end up well, saw some rocks taken out by the Danes but Brad’s skip rocks were solid and they put 2 on the board.

It was a much different end for the Canadians in the 3rd who had some shaky shots while the Danes played a pretty solid end. Brad’s last rock was too soft giving Denmark a shot at a triple score but got lucky when the Danish skip missed on his last and only managed a deuce to lead the draw by 1.

The Canadians blanked the 4th and 5th ends. I kept thinking okay guys, keep doing that until you get it right and they did in the 6th end putting 2 on the board to go ahead by 1.

Denmark was facing 4 Canadian rocks on their last shot in the 7th end. The Canadians had had an answer for all Denmark’s shots in this end. The Danes did well to get a single and tie the score 4 – 4.

You could see the confidence building in the Canadians as the ends came and went and by the 8th, it looked as if Team Canada may have their mojo working again. Both Brad’s shot were money in the bank and 2 went up for Canada.

Just when things were looking so good, Brad missed wide on his last and Denmark with the hammer in the 9th was able to come back with a deuce for another tie game.

The one saving grace in the 9th had been the fact that if the Canadians could make sure the Danes didn’t blank the end, they still had a chance with hammer and last rock to win in the 10th.

And they did! The key shot of the end was an outstanding triple take-out by Ryan Fry that left Canada sitting three in the house. The Danes battled hard at taking out the Canadian rocks but Brad was solid gold on both his shots and the game was over.

In an interview after the game Brad said;

"When Fry made that shot in 10, that was the loudest cheer we've ever had," said Jacobs. "That gave us all chills. When he did that, we really wanted to close that game out for the crowd."

How did Jacobs react to Fry's shot?

"It was, like, 'thank you.' That just got us out of big trouble," said Jacobs. "I don't know if he wanted to play that shot -- but we had to play that shot, and he just threw it perfect. We called it perfect and that was the shot of the game right there."

http://www.tsn.ca/curling/story/?id=420063

Team Canada made a few mistakes and Brad was not 100% on all his shots but the win gives them the confidence they need to play Scotland.

Semi-final Draw

You could almost feel the difference in Team Canada as they walked onto the ice this afternoon in a showdown with Team Scotland and the dreaded Davie Murdoch – oh he of the impossible shots and 2-time World Champion. Before the draw got underway, Scotland announced a line-up change which had the crowd buzzing and the TSN hosts scratching their heads. Third, Tom Brewster would sit this one out and an alternate would come in. Tom had not been playing well in the last two draws and his numbers were down – but it was still a tough call.

It is not unusual for a team to play an alternate. You often see teams with a multi-point advantage, rest one of the players and give the alternate a chance. It is also done when a player in the line-up falls ill. But it is really unusual to see a Third – the guy who calls the shots in the house when the Skip rocks are thrown, being replaced. Besides bringing in the alternate, Second Scott Andrews was moved up to Third position.

From the very first end when Scotland had the hammer by virtue of finishing higher in the standings than Canada, it was quite apparent that the Team Canada we had seen early in round robin play was back.

Guard after guard, take-out after take-out, draw after draw the Canadians hardly gave an inch. By the end of the 5th end and with having held the Scots to yet another single, one started to feel the tide turning.

And turn it did – big time in the 6th end when every shot by Canada was gold and Scotland missed a couple of really important ones. Ryan Fry helped his skip with two great take-outs, Scotland missed on their attempts and Brad sailed into the house with his last for a score of 3 huge points.

TSN announcers kept saying the feeling in the house was electric as fans on hand for the game felt in their bones that Canada had this one in the bag.

The Canadians forced Scotland to blank in the 7th, then stole one in the 8th for a 6 – 2 lead going into the 9th. Scotland was fast running out of ends in which to score.

Canada allowed Scotland 1 in the 9th and had the hammer coming home. The 10th was more a formality than necessity as Team Canada just ran Team Scotland out of rocks to take the draw 6 to 3 and advance to the Gold Medal Game.

WELL DONE TEAM CANADA - YOU GUYS ROCKED THE ICE!
:canada:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Team Scotland was favored to win coming into the Bronze Medal game but odds were that Team Denmark wouldn’t make it a cake-walk. Thus as Denmark was forced to blank end after end following a deuce in the 1rst by Scotland, fans began to wonder if Rasmus and his rink had peaked a bit early.

After sitting out the semi-final, Tom Brewster was back in the line-up and his position as Third for Scotland. He just might have been the difference maker here today as the team’s Second struggled and missed many of his shots while Tom’s shots were much better than in prior draws.

It was in the 5th end and going into the break that the Danes would finally get their deuce to tie the match.

24 year old Rasmus Stjerne, the Skip of Team Denmark is new to the Ford World Championship but I doubt this is the last we will see of him. Besides being a crack take-out artist, he has a great ability to read the ice and his shot calling is top rank. It was his team that beat Team Canada in the last game of round robin dropping the Canadians down to 4th place.

Neither team brought their best game to the 6th end but a well-thrown rock by Davie Murdoch with his last gave then another deuce and a 2 pt lead.

The 7th end had the Danes back with hammer bent on a deuce of their own. They managed to be sitting shot rock, under cover after Davie Murdoch missed on his initial take-out and rolled too far on his last. Rasmus sent a beauty down the ice to score two for Denmark.

With shot rocks underway in the 8th, Rasmus had a fabulous double take-out leaving one lonely Scot rock in the house and it looked like the Danes might limit the damage to a single in the end. In a great draw landing deep in the house, Davie got his first in to sit two. After Rasmus’ last crashed on their own rock, Davie was faced with a tricky shot for a triple. The line calling of Tom Brewster and great brushing by the front end brought Davie’s stone into the house for a score of 3.

And that as they say should have been that. When a team goes ahead by 3 points with only two ends left to play and knowing they have hammer in the 10th, it can be all but impossible for the opposing team to get three of their own especially at this level. For the Scots now it was simply a game of eliminating the opponent’s rocks.

Some sloppy play and missed line calling in the 9th still saw the Scots sitting three nestled around the back button, Denmark sitting top button as Rasmus got set for his last throw. The call was for the rock to come down the ice, slip through a narrow hole through two guards, tip a Scot rock in the 12 foot then curl into the button for a soft take-out on the 3 Scot rocks. You could have heard a pin drop in the arena as Rasmus set himself in the hack. The brushers were on the stone as it left his hand but they took it down the ice, it squeaked through the hole, kissed the Scot stone curling down to nudge all three Scot rocks out of the scoring area to sit two. It was a highlight reel shot and the best take-out of the draw by anyone. The Danes now needed one for the tie, two for the win.

Rasmus with his last shot in the 10th was hoping to leave Davie with a hard draw in the 10th and final end. Unfortunately he missed wide and long leaving Scotland with a fairly easy hit for a single. Davie took his time, the brushers brought him down the ice smoothly and the hit was made for the win.

Congratulations to Scotland on their Bronze Medal and to Denmark for their great play during the Championship. Well done.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Team Canada won Silver at the Ford Men’s World Championship of Curling. Well done guys. I am really proud of you and all you have accomplished in your journey to and through the Fords. You are fine representatives of our country.

There were many hits and misses by both sides in the draw but when the final rock was thrown it was Team Sweden who executed the right shots at the right time. They got an early lead on the Canadians and held it into the final end in spite of some truly wonderful shots by our guys. I heartily congratulate Sweden on their win. They played the better game and deserve the Gold. Well done to them. This was a huge accomplishment for Sweden who haven’t had a world title in 9 years. It was also the first time that the same team has won both the World's and the European Championship in the same season.

I have read comments in other forums about Canada starting a professional Curling team as many countries do these days. Sweden for one and Team Scotland for another. Team Sweden spent the last 6 to 7 months here in Canada, curling. They entered events around the country or spent time practicing. Before coming to Canada they had won the European Championship. They are professional curlers. Did it give them an edge? Maybe - but they too were guilty of some spectacularly bad shots in the final which just goes to show that on any given day even the best can fall short.

That said, I believe that what truly makes our Canadian curlers great is that they are amateurs but they rise above that status to play with what amounts to genius, event after event. This was the our team’s first World appearance and to have won their way past all the other nations in the tourney including Scotland and bring home the Silver is no dishonor. Rather, it makes this victory all the sweeter.

CONGRATULATIONS TEAM CANADA ON YOUR SILVER MEDAL WIN

:canada:

Next up in my sports world - The Masters!