Hockey! (This site being Canadian and all)

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
a bench clearing group fight is long gone from the nhl many years ago, a very heavy penalty for anyone
leaving the bench to join a fight, and anyone interferring with a fight will be penalized for
the third man in.

two men fighting is not a gang fight at all.

I don't like the staged fights, two players who make agreement to fight, wait till face off then drop
their gloves and go at it.

a spontaneous break out in the heat of the battle also happens, not a lot, but does happen, I can accept
that, but prefer no fighting at all.

hockey is a great sport, I love it, and have since I was about 8 years old.

what is your connection to the sport, a real hockey enthusiast, a player, or a
person standing on the outside looking in, who really doesn't know or understand
the sport, discuss.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Used to play hockey as a youth but decided it was just a civilized gladiator sport. Haven't paid attention to it since the 60s. Have watched a few games since but it just verified my opinion of it as correct.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Used to play hockey as a youth but decided it was just a civilized gladiator sport. Haven't paid attention to it since the 60s. Have watched a few games since but it just verified my opinion of it as correct.

contact sports are contact sports, not for everyone, hockey, football, lacrosse, austrailan football,
fighting are in some not others, still a very rough sport, lots of hitting, makes the game very difficult
to play, consequently, the players can't achieve what they want easily, as in some sports.

those who claim that is 'all' there is, aren't seeing at all.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
contact sports are contact sports, not for everyone, hockey, football, lacrosse, austrailan football,
fighting are in some not others, still a very rough sport, lots of hitting, makes the game very difficult
to play, consequently, the players can't achieve what they want easily, as in some sports.

those who claim that is 'all' there is, aren't seeing at all.

You forgot sex.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Clean up the dirty hits, get rid of the fighting and play hockey. Why do teams have a fighter - he is not a good hockey player so why is he there. For peoples entertainment. If that is the entertainment they want then go to a boxing match.
I prefer watching a good game. Good fast plays, passing, clean hits, great plays.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Greater knowledge. Broader base upon which to form opinions.

Ultimately, enlightenment. Coz then I get a cool robe.

When you post a thread it is common courtesy to be somewhat involved. Now make your point(s), questions, thoughts. It contributes to the thread that you started.

You may not be used to this being on other forums but that is what happens here.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
When you post a thread it is common courtesy to be somewhat involved. Now make your point(s), questions, thoughts. It contributes to the thread that you started.

You may not be used to this being on other forums but that is what happens here.
Well, first let me disavow any extensive knowledge of hockey. I like the sport, I follow the Capitals, but we don't have the hockey infrastructure in my area to follow it below the NHL level.

It seems to me that the NHL has done a great job over the last couple of decades in bringing down the level of pointless, stupid fighting. I recall that 20, maybe 25 years back the NHL cut rosters by one man, specifically to get rid of the "torpedo," a low-skilled player whose role was to hurt opposing team members. That and increased enforcement has improved the game, in my humble and not-very-well-informed opinion.

I would be interested in finding out from people here with much more knowledge and history than I have when the fighting started. Was it always a part of hockey, from back in the unorganized days? Was is always inherent in a contact sport with tempers flaring, or was there an element of showmanship in it at some time? I'd like to hear more opinions on whether the current level of fighting is acceptable or not, and what measures might improve things. Or, if some folk think that way, if the sport is over-regulated and they shouldn't be so strict on fighting.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
How exactly did you conjure that up?

Probably because it sounds scrappy.

That's the thing about newbies. Also it's common in trolling, lol.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Well, first let me disavow any extensive knowledge of hockey. I like the sport, I follow the Capitals, but we don't have the hockey infrastructure in my area to follow it below the NHL level.

It seems to me that the NHL has done a great job over the last couple of decades in bringing down the level of pointless, stupid fighting. I recall that 20, maybe 25 years back the NHL cut rosters by one man, specifically to get rid of the "torpedo," a low-skilled player whose role was to hurt opposing team members. That and increased enforcement has improved the game, in my humble and not-very-well-informed opinion.

I would be interested in finding out from people here with much more knowledge and history than I have when the fighting started. Was it always a part of hockey, from back in the unorganized days? Was is always inherent in a contact sport with tempers flaring, or was there an element of showmanship in it at some time? I'd like to hear more opinions on whether the current level of fighting is acceptable or not, and what measures might improve things. Or, if some folk think that way, if the sport is over-regulated and they shouldn't be so strict on fighting.
Well partake from the fountain of opinion.