Soccer-The New Crooked Sport

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
I don't follow soccer it's not a real sport/just too queer IMO but I have heard of so-called match fixing-turns out it's here too and Big Time Crime !!

CSA cuts ties with Canadian Soccer League

Secretary General of Interpol Ronald Kenneth Noble gestures after the Interpol conference on match-fixing on Jan. 17 in Rome. Noble said that "hundreds of billions of euros per year” are being generated by match-fixing.

Canada's soccer landscape has just suffered a seismic shift - and like most of the earthquakes that hit this country, it's one that few will have even noticed.

Less than five months after a CBC News report showed that an international match-fixing syndicate had set its sights on the Canadian Soccer League (CSL), CBC has learned that the Canadian Soccer Association has told the CSL it will no longer sanction the league.

Sources within the CSA, speaking on the condition of anonymity, confirmed that a number of factors had contributed to their decision to sever ties with the CSL -- including the admission the CSA isn't equipped to tackle the domestic match-fixing problem.

The move comes just a week after Interpol hosted the Integrity in Sport conference in New York, intended to educate FIFA and CONCACAF on the growing match-fixing threat. Both CSA and CSL officials were in attendance.

"Match manipulation in football must be tackled in the strongest possible way and we are glad that CONCACAF is taking a proactive approach on this subject," Serge Dumortier, Senior Security Manager at FIFA told CONCACAF members this week. "We must take all the steps necessary to safeguard the integrity of our sport."

During the two-day conference, Interpol put on several workshops for CONCACAF members and spoke extensively on education and prevention. This included disclosing the nearly unfathomable amount of money that has been bet on the CSL since 2010.

'Many-headed dragon'

According to CSA and CONCACAF sources, Interpol told those in attendance that nearly $100 million had passed through legitimate betting houses, to be placed on Canadian Soccer League matches, the past three seasons. They held the CSL up as an example of how even little out-of-the-way leagues were being targeted in a major way.

Interpol stressed to those in attendance that not all of that money would have been associated with match-fixing but given recent revelations surrounding the CSL, "the number has sent chills through the law enforcement community."

Interpol issued a similar warning in Rome Jan. 17, when Secretary General Ronald Noble said that, "hundreds of billions of euros per year" were being generated by match-fixing. "Match-fixing is clearly a many-headed dragon that we must slay with a co-ordinated national and international effort."

Back home, the CSA's decision to restructure will cause some major upheavals - including some that may affect Toronto FC and the Montreal Impact.

The CSL now has several options. The league can apply for sanctioning with the Ontario Soccer Association (OSA). The CSL can dissolve entirely, allowing its individual teams to apply for sanctioning in the Ontario Soccer League (OSL), or the semi-professional Ontario League One. Or the league can choose to operate as an unsanctioned, rogue league.

The OSA is currently in the process of approving Ontario League One for full-time semi-professional status. OSA president Ron Smale said that it was too early to make a decision on what they would do if the CSL applied for similar status in Ontario.

"It's a decision that would have to go through the board but it's far too early to say at this point," Smale said.

Not ideal for TFC, Impact

None of these options will be ideal for two of Canada's MLS teams. Both Toronto FC and the Montreal Impact had their academy teams compete in the CSL last season.

Under FIFA regulations, neither academy team would be able to place their players in an unsanctioned league. Any player associated with an unsanctioned competition isn't eligible to play in sanctioned leagues like MLS and could even face heavy fines if they do.

Toronto FC academy director, Thomas Rongen, said that TFC has a plan in place but wouldn't indicate where their youth teams would play in 2013.

"We feel very strong about being part of the Canadian soccer culture and we feel very strongly about staying in Canada," Rongen said. "I know there will be a professional alternative a year or two down the line, if the CSL isn't to be there anymore, if it is to fall. But it's been a good league for our players as it has allowed them to play against men, not youth players, every weekend."

In the short term, if Toronto FC Academy is to stay in Canada's system that will likely mean joining the OSL-Elite league - a senior Men's setup.

The Montreal Impact is currently playing some of their youth teams in the USSF development academy league, based in the U.S. They could not be reached for comment.

Another ripple in the CSA's decision to no longer sanction the CSL, is that the long-awaited Easton report - a study intended to determine the feasibility of a Canadian professional league - is expected to be widely released Friday.

"The Easton report puts forth the idea of creating a semi-professional soccer league that would be very similar to what junior hockey has accomplished with their structure, where you have regional leagues across the country and overarching governing body that hosts a national championship each year," CSA president Victor Montagliani said.

"This (report) is a way forward for semi-professional soccer in this country. And a way forward for us to start identifying some of the problems are our core."

Several requests for comment from the CSL went unreturned.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Let us get past the belief system we have Figure Skating, Soccer, Boxing, Wrestling,
Bike Races, even members of the Baseball fraternity all of them issues with cheating
drugs and God knows what else. Soccer is on the list but none of t his is new its just
part of the saga that has been hidden away and now in the modern era its front page.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I was really impressed how the Canadian women's soccer team lost, with the assistance of a referee. Put a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

Not really a soccer fan anyway, but that was terrible.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I was really impressed how the Canadian women's soccer team lost, with the assistance of a referee. Put a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

Not really a soccer fan anyway, but that was terrible.
Yes and to use a quote from another current thread: "you reap what you sew" that ref ruined her career over it too. I can't quite figure out what transpired there but it would appear there had been some kind of previous "talk" about how things should go at some level.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I don't follow soccer it's not a real sport/just too queer
IMO

Says somebody from a country in which ice hockey and lacrosse are popular.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
On Monday night, Manchester United won a record 20th English league title and a record 13th Premier League title (the Premier League was established as England's top division in 1992). It was their first title since 2011. Their arch-rivals Manchester City won the title last year for the first time since 1968.

Appropriately, United's No20, Robin Van Persie, sealed their 20th title by scoring all three goals in United's 3-0 win against strugglers Aston Villa.

Remarkably, United's veteran midfielder, 39-year-old Ryan Giggs, has played in all of those 13 Premier League wins. He is the most decorated player in English football history. After United became the English champions for a record 20th time on Monday night, United manager Sir Alex Ferguson affectionately called him a "freak" who will carry on playing for them until he's 41.

Giggs is also the only player to score in EVERY Premier League season since it started in 1992.

Despite their win, United have yet to receive the Premier League trophy. When they do receive it they are to go on an open-topped bus tour of Manchester to show off their trophy, as Manchester City did last year when they won it for the first time since 1968.

Manchester United are the Champions of England for a record 20th time. In 2009, they won their 18th league title, equalling Liverpool's record of most English league titles. With another two titles since then, United now hold the record. Here are all of their title wins:

First Division: 1908, 1911, 1952, 1956, 1957 1965, 1967

Premier League (established in 1992 as England's new top division): 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013

Champions again: Manchester United celebrate winning an English record 20th title on Monday night after a 3-0 victory over struggling Aston Villa at Old Trafford. It was, however, only the third time United won the title at their home ground.

Shower time: Defender Rio Ferdinand sprays the champagne in the dressing room as striker Javier Hernandez and midfielder Michael Carrick watch on as they enjoy winning the club's 20th title

I'll drink to that! Boss Sir Alex Ferguson led the celebrations as Manchester United celebrated winning the Barclays Premier League on Monday

Out with a bang: Robin van Persie's second goal against Aston Villa was a joy to behold and set United on course

Goal machine: Robin van Persie holds his No 20 shirt aloft in the changing room in celebration of Manchester United's 20th top-flight title. He scored all three goals in United 3-0 victory over Aston Villa which clinched them the title on Monday night. The Dutchman is currently the Premier League's top scorer this season, with 24 goals so far.

Champions: The scoreboard at Old Trafford is changed in double quick time to reflect United's title success

Never in doubt: United fans hold up flags and scarves before the match against Aston Villa

Armless fun: United's French defender Patrice Evra mocked Liverpool striker Luis Suarez, who racially abused Evra in 2009, at full time by biting into a fake arm. This is in reference to Suarez biting Chelsea defender Ivanovic's arm on Sunday night, an incident which today led to Suarez getting a 10 match ban

Having fun? Evra poses with Shinji Kagawa and Ryan Giggs and the magic hand

Awesome foursome: Rio Ferdinand took to Twitter to post this picture of himself and his teammates

Celebrations: Two young women queue to enter a Manchester bar favoured by the United players...

... which United defender Chris Smalling (right) headed to later on to celebrate the title victory

Having fun: Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand tweets a picture of the players and friends toasting their championship win in a Manchester bar

Too much: A young woman who joined in with Manchester United's celebrations on Monday night lay stricken on the pavement having been out drinking with the players

Last edited:

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
The English Premier League provides for entertaining soccer. Manchester United is now deemed to be the world's most valuable Sports Franchise (really a Global Brand).. with an estimated 650 million fans worldwide.. and a value well in excess of $2 billion U.S.. It is owned by the American Glazer family.

But they are out of the Champions League .. the top Club competition in the World.. which will likely come down to a match between Bayern Munich and Real Madrid.. which are worth a few bucks themselves.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The English Premier League provides for entertaining soccer. Manchester United is now deemed to be the worlds most valuable Sports Franchise (really a Global Brand).. with an estimated 650 million fans worldwide.. and a value well in excess of $2 billion U.S..

But they are out of the Champions League .. the top Club competition in the World.. which will likely come down to a match between Bayern Munich and Real Madrid.. which are worth a few bucks themselves.

I watched a documentary called "Tribe" the other night about a former Royal Marine called Bruce Parry who visits primitive tribes around the world and lives with them as one of them for a few months.

There was one tribe he visited in Tanzania and one of the men - a crocodile hunter - was wearing a Manchester United shirt.

Parry did another documentary called "Amazon" in which he travels the length of the world's longest river from source to sea. Even when Parry met a primitive tribe in the Peruvian jungle he came across a tribe member wearing a Manchester United shirt.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I should state from the outset that I find soccer to be the most boring sport of any
team sport on the planet. Chess makes more sense. We have refs in short pants
running around handing out yellow and red cards for offences on the field. this is
a wimpy aspect of the game. There has to be a smaller field, fewer players and
and a lot more checking and hitting to make it better
The offside rule is nuts as well.
I find it boring as all get out. There would be more interest for me in Canadian
Professional Bingo. Now we are supposed to be surprised the sport might be
crooked too. I for one am not surprised at all

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I should state from the outset that I find soccer to be the most boring sport of any
team sport on the planet. Chess makes more sense. We have refs in short pants
running around handing out yellow and red cards for offences on the field. this is
a wimpy aspect of the game. There has to be a smaller field, fewer players and
and a lot more checking and hitting to make it better
The offside rule is nuts as well.
I find it boring as all get out. There would be more interest for me in Canadian
Professional Bingo. Now we are supposed to be surprised the sport might be
crooked too. I for one am not surprised at all

You find it boring because you don't understand the sport. Personally I find baseball boring as all get out and north American football a waste of time. One has over paid men hitting a ball with a stick and then running in a circle and the other has over paid and over weight men padded beyond belief running into each other and patting each other on the a$$ for some unknown reason.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Anyone who calls soccer wimpy has never played competitive soccer. I've been playing for years and I gte beat up as bad as my hockey buddies. Soccer is crooked mostly because its global. Hockey is Canada, the US, a couple of Scandinavian countries. American/Canadian football don't really exist outside NA. Baseball--meh. Basketball, same thing. Since these are national or very limited international sports played by NA/Northern European countries, it's easy to keep a lid on things. Then you get soccer where you get all the African nations and the Middle East and the Eastern Europeans--parts of the world where corruption is endemic. And then you get outcomes like the World Cup being held in Qatar.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Even after i'd given up almost all team sports... except an occasional pick up hockey game.. every now and again i found myself in a soccer match.. and was always amazed at how much muscular effort it took... i was always stiff for days afterwards.. and how much FUN it was. I'd also end up in corporate softball games as well, now and again.. but didn't get anywhere near the enjoyment or the exercize out them.

Last edited: