2012 - 2013 IIHF Junior Hockey

Mowich
One of my favorite times of the season when the international Junior games finally get underway. Canada played its first pre-tournie game against the Fins today and did not do well. They spent too much time in the penalty box, Subban was not stellar in goal and in general the team looked like it needs a bit more time to meld. The Fins won 3 to 2.

The US is currently playing Sweden in the 2nd period of their pre-tournie game and the US just got a go-ahead goal to make the score 2 to 1.

The full schedule is available at the website below.

HOME/NEWS - 2013 IIHF ICE HOCKEY JUNIOR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP (external - login to view)

talloola
We'll watch the tournament, but I have to be honest, hockey isn't something I am even thinking about
these days.

Maybe the jrs will get me back into it, we'll see.

#juan
+2
#3  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

We'll watch the tournament, but I have to be honest, hockey isn't something I am even thinking about
these days.

Maybe the jrs will get me back into it, we'll see.

It usually works for me. I have trouble even thinking about the current negotiations between the NHLPA and the owners.
A bunch of millionaires trying to get richer. The Jrs are the future players in the NHL and the World Junior Championships
is the best hocke around right now. The Jrs have a certain honesty in their play that NHLers seem to have lost.

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

It usually works for me. I have trouble even thinking about the current negotiations between the NHLPA and the owners.
A bunch of millionaires trying to get richer. The Jrs are the future players in the NHL and the World Junior Championships
is the best hocke around right now. The Jrs have a certain honesty in their play that NHLers seem to have lost.

Untouched by money and fame, the World's Juniors provide me with a chance to watch hockey without all the surrounding bruhaha. I enjoy watching all the teams in the tournie though I do cheer loudest for our boys.

talloola

I don't agree about the honesty in the play remark, I love the NHL, the way it is played in the past
few years, not interested in their negotiations, don't bother about it, and I am not in hockey mode,
but I will watch the jr tourney, or at least some of it.

#juan
+1

I don't agree about the honesty in the play remark, I love the NHL, the way it is played in the past
few years, not interested in their negotiations, don't bother about it, and I am not in hockey mode,
but I will watch the jr tourney, or at least some of it.

If you want to see honesty in play or lack of it.....watch an NHL all star game....Phoniest game on ice...

Toro
I <3 wjhc.

gopher
I well remember what a great tourney this was last year. Hopefully, it will be just as exciting if not better. Hockey is, to me, much more fun without the violence and unsportsman like behavior exhibited by the pros. But to each his/her own.

talloola
+1

If you want to see honesty in play or lack of it.....watch an NHL all star game....Phoniest game on ice...

the problem is that people expect a real game, its not meant to be that way, it is a gathering, it is
for the benefit of the host city. If you are expecting a real game, don't watch it.

That is the mistake many make.

If you think about it, as an owner of a player, one doesn't want their player injured in exhibition play,
and if it was played that way, many owners would not allow their players to attend.

Its not a serious game, and its not suppose to be a serious game, it is for fun, for the kids watching
at the rink, and for the players, owners, managers and others to celebrate the league, get together
sign a million autographs, make live appearances for the kids.

Ever since I clued in to that fact, I have thoroughly enjoyed the celebration of the allstars, in
the way it is meant.

After all the years you have watched, you should have figured it out by now too.

Mowich
As the Wendy's girl says...............now that's better!

Better offence, some fantastic puck-handling, and a few nifty moves..........a bit sloppy on changes and momentary lapses in defence, but our kids came away with a 9 to 3 win over Germany in what was, for all accounts, a much better played game than the pre-tourney sorties. The line of Nugent-Hopkins, Huberdeau and Scheifele - called the 'lock-out line' by Bob MacKenzie - are so smooth, so polished and so effective when they are clicking, that they are magic to watch. Malcolm Subban let a couple of iffy ones in then made a high-light reel save and several great blocks.

All that and only 4 penalties - two of which were kind of iffy - but whose complaining, the lack of discipline that seemed to haunt the team in the pre-tournament games all but vanished yesterday - making both fans and coaches very happy. And to ice the cake, 8 different players scored goals in the win.

Keep up the great work Team Canada. Go, kids, go!

gopher
I enjoyed today's USA win over Germany. But tomorrow we play the Russians and that's always bad news. Did you guys see the antics used by the Russians against Slovakia? Lots of dirty plays and rough stuff. Totally inexcusable in my book.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

I enjoyed today's USA win over Germany. But tomorrow we play the Russians and that's always bad news. Did you guys see the antics used by the Russians against Slovakia? Lots of dirty plays and rough stuff. Totally inexcusable in my book.

Canada 6 Slovakia 3
Canada took far too many penalties against the Slovakia team. Part of it was poor refereeing but part was lack of
discipline on the part of the Canadian players.

IdRatherBeSkiing
So whose the brains who put Canada, USA and Russia in one group?

gopher
Russia > USA 2-1

Good game but that Russian goalie was too awesome. We had a real legit shot at winning it but he was too much.

Chev
[QUOTE=talloola;1690271]the problem is that people expect a real game, its not meant to be that way, it is a gathering, it is
for the benefit of the host city. If you are expecting a real game, don't watch it.

If you think about it, as an owner of a player, one doesn't want their player injured in exhibition play,
and if it was played that way, many owners would not allow their players to attend.

Its not a serious game, and its not suppose to be a serious game, it is for fun, for the kids watching
at the rink, and for the players, owners, managers and others to celebrate the league, get together

Ever since I clued in to that fact, I have thoroughly enjoyed the celebration of the allstars, in
the way it is meant.
"talloola (external - login to view) … Its not a serious game, and its not suppose to be a serious game, it is for fun, ….Ever since I clued in to that fact,…".. Curious, how many years did it take you to clue into that fact?

(Hee, hee) I figured that out the first time I ever saw even a portion of an NHL all star game. I never believed/thought all the named ‘all-stars’ are actually ‘all-stars’. It is definitely for fun, and for fans. The entire NHL all star week/weekend is for fun.

Last edited by Chev; Dec 29th, 2012 at 05:23 AM..Reason: mistype

Mowich

Canada 6 Slovakia 3
Canada took far too many penalties against the Slovakia team. Part of it was poor refereeing but part was lack of
discipline on the part of the Canadian players.

I've been watching all the games so far and the reffing really sucks - not just when our kids play but for all the teams. Missed calls, iffy calls, bad calls - the list goes on. However, our kids really do seem to take more than their share and I am hoping it will not come back to bite them. Yesterday we had two of our best penalty killers in the stands and were very lucky to pull off the win. Glad to see Mark Scheifele get the Best Player award - he was fully engaged for the game.

talloola
[QUOTE=Chev;1692800][QUOTE=talloola;1690271]the problem is that people expect a real game, its not meant to be that way, it is a gathering, it is

the way it is meant.
"talloola (external - login to view) … Its not a serious game, and its not suppose to be a serious game, it is for fun, ….Ever since I clued in to that fact,…".. Curious, how many years did it take you to clue into that fact?

(Hee, hee) I figured that out the first time I ever saw even a portion of an NHL all star game. I never believed/thought all the named ‘all-stars’ are actually ‘all-stars’. It is definitely for fun, and for fans. The entire NHL all star week/weekend is for fun.

when we were much younger,I listened to much whining every time the game came around, but changed my
views as time went along, and have enjoyed and realized for years that it is a 'celebration' not a
real game, and it is 'all' the teams participating, so of course its not the top allstars at all, but
a sharing of players for the good of each team.

I enjoy it very much, it is fun.

When one actually pauses and thinks about 'that' game being a real, competetive, serious game it is
ridiculous, and wouldn't be fun any more, and injuries would occur, which hampers that particular team,
which has to play after that, in real league games.

They do change the format from time to time, and that is OK, doesn't matter if many just don't 'get it'.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

I've been watching all the games so far and the reffing really sucks - not just when our kids play but for all the teams. Missed calls, iffy calls, bad calls - the list goes on. However, our kids really do seem to take more than their share and I am hoping it will not come back to bite them. Yesterday we had two of our best penalty killers in the stands and were very lucky to pull off the win. Glad to see Mark Scheifele get the Best Player award - he was fully engaged for the game.

I thought the Canadians showed us an absolute clinic in puck control and puck possession in the third period. Nugent Hopkins
had another great game (three points to go with the five points he got in the first game) He plays like Gretsky used to play when he was 17.

Mowich

I thought the Canadians showed us an absolute clinic in puck control and puck possession in the third period. Nugent Hopkins
had another great game (three points to go with the five points he got in the first game) He plays like Gretsky used to play when he was 17.

I heartily concur, juan. Watching Ryan, Jon and Mark handle the puck so easily with such synchronicity is wonderful to behold. I get such a kick out the announcer that keeps telling us about the 'nifty' moves...........like the one MacKinnon made at the side of the net - no goal but great puck control shoving it between the feet of the Slovak kid.

Also following the Spengler Cup - can't get enough of hockey it seems. Friborg is ahead of Mannheim 3 to 2 in the 3rd. Friborg has played the better game so far. Oh they just got a PP goal. 4 to 2 now.

Mowich
Not a great 3rd period by our kids and seeing Nugent-Hopkins and Hubredeau sitting together in the penalty box giving the US a PP in the last minute plus of the game with a chance for tie and OT, was not the most impressive sight of the night. Not being able to score on a long 5 on 3 was equally disappointing. Scott Harrington and Dougie Hamilton deserve kudos for their defensive efforts.

That said, the 2 - 1 win over the US puts our kids at first place in our division - a point ahead of the Russians. The US did not look puck-hungry at all and, IMHO, did not play a consistently strong game. They had their chances - more shots on goal - but Malcolm Subban denied them all but the one which came on a PP. It was Subban's best game of the tourney so far boosting his save percentage from .893 to .973. The US were also guilty of taking really bad penalties. Captain Jake McCabe and forward Ryan Hartman both drew game misconducts.

Nugent-Hopkins and Ryan Strome scored for the Canadians. Jacob Trouba got the lone US goal.

Canada vs Russia on New Year's Eve

talloola
we'll watch that one, 5:30 a.m. I believe. Haven't caught a game yet, just highlights from all

games.

Mowich

we'll watch that one, 5:30 a.m. I believe. Haven't caught a game yet, just highlights from all

games.

5:30 a.m. it is talloola. It is also being re-broadcast at 9 a.m. and then later at 4:30.

Watching the Spengler Cup right now. Canada is ahead 3 to 1 with less than a minute to play in the 2nd. Patrick Kane scored the latest goal for Canada. Spezza has one and I missed who got the other goal. Corey Schneider is in goal for Fribourg. Dubnyk for Canada.

#juan

5:30 a.m. it is talloola. It is also being re-broadcast at 9 a.m. and then later at 4:30.

Watching the Spengler Cup right now. Canada is ahead 3 to 1 with less than a minute to play in the 2nd. Patrick Kane scored the latest goal for Canada. Spezza has one and I missed who got the other goal. Corey Schneider is in goal for Fribourg. Dubnyk for Canada.

It was a good game....ended up 5 to 1 for Canada. I felt a little sorry for Cory Schnieder but most of the goals were on shots
I thought he should have stopped...........What do I know???

gopher
missed the USA-Canada game

anyone know when the replay is on?

Mowich
Talk about 'standing on guard' for Canada! Our kids via Jenner, Ritchie and Danault did it in a big way today. Happy New Year to our Canadian Team - top of the standings. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - tops in scoring. Malcolm Subban, though not as busy as he could have been, was great in goal again letting in only one goal by the Russians!

Was not really impressed with the Russians in this game, don't know whether it was because our kids were just that much better or that the Russians couldn't seem to get their act together at times. Huge lack of discipline by the Russians led to two PP goals by our kids during a 5-minute major. The last period was owned by the Canadians.

The empty net goal was simply icing on the cake.

ROCK ON CANADIAN JUNIORS! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

missed the USA-Canada game

anyone know when the replay is on?

You might have to go online and see if you can find a replay there, gopher. TSN replays the games twice on the same day as the live game but I don't know about any rewinds after that as the tourney is still on.

talloola
good game, but I hope the coach drills it into their heads that the game was much closer than the score

indicated, as the two goals scored in the first period were on a 5 minute major penalty, so without

that penalty it is possible that the score could have been 1-0 russia end of the first.

if they meet russia again, they better be ready, cause 5 on 5, the game was very even, at least the

parts I watched, although I didn't see entire game, kept falling asleep again cause it was the early

time, so maybe I missed some things.

Mowich

good game, but I hope the coach drills it into their heads that the game was much closer than the score

indicated, as the two goals scored in the first period were on a 5 minute major penalty, so without

that penalty it is possible that the score could have been 1-0 russia end of the first.

if they meet russia again, they better be ready, cause 5 on 5, the game was very even, at least the

parts I watched, although I didn't see entire game, kept falling asleep again cause it was the early

time, so maybe I missed some things.

It might have been an entirely different game had the Russians not given up those early goals, talloola. The Canadians were overall the better team on the night but the Russians had many chances - just nothing to show for them, Malcolm Subban was mostly responsible for that. I missed the live game so without turning on the news or going on the net, I sat down at 9:00 and watched the entire game without a clue to the outcome.

Canada just won the Spengler Cup again - first time since 2007. Much to celebrate tonight and a Very Happy New Year to you.

talloola

It might have been an entirely different game had the Russians not given up those early goals, talloola. The Canadians were overall the better team on the night but the Russians had many chances - just nothing to show for them, Malcolm Subban was mostly responsible for that. I missed the live game so without turning on the news or going on the net, I sat down at 9:00 and watched the entire game without a clue to the outcome.

Canada just won the Spengler Cup again - first time since 2007. Much to celebrate tonight and a Very Happy New Year to you.

yeah, we watched that game. so wierd to see patrick kane and big joe thornton playing for switzerland, was
very confusing for a while.

good for canada.

happy new year to you

gopher
+1
Missed the replay of USA-Canada but did watch today's match of Canada-Russia. Jon Drouin well deserved the MVP for his control of the game. That stupid major penalty really screwed it for the Russians and that's how Canada scored 2 PPG's. Earlier, I watched half of the USA win over Slovakia 9-3. Looks like we still have a chance for the finals. Got my fingers crossed.

BTW, I was in a chat room and several folks agreed with me that IIHF is the best brand of hockey there is. We just don't like the fighting and want to see a game won on skill only. No brutality. That's why I don't miss the NHL but to each his/her own.

Mowich

Missed the replay of USA-Canada but did watch today's match of Canada-Russia. Jon Drouin well deserved the MVP for his control of the game. That stupid major penalty really screwed it for the Russians and that's how Canada scored 2 PPG's. Earlier, I watched half of the USA win over Slovakia 9-3. Looks like we still have a chance for the finals. Got my fingers crossed.

Hey gopher..........do you get TSN on the net? They tend to keep vids of prior games on their sight especially ones of interest to Candadians...........might be worth a look. I missed the US vs Slovakia game - sounds like they had all their pucks together for that one. Hope Seth Jones and Miller got involved.

As to the Canadian vs Russian game - no one gives a team of the caliber that is the Canadian team a 5 minute gift and not know that their chances of coming out on the other end down at least one are almost guaranteed. Two was simply showing the Russians that we meant business. The Canadians rocked on offense. They rocked on defense. They rocked on goal. They played, what for them, was a pretty clean game. They handled the puck with skill, finesse and determination. They most effectively shut down Yakopov and Gregorich. In short, they were the better team on the night. What the future holds is yet to be detemined.......but I would say these Canadian kids have all they need to go all the way.

Quote:

BTW, I was in a chat room and several folks agreed with me that IIHF is the best brand of hockey there is. We just don't like the fighting and want to see a game won on skill only. No brutality. That's why I don't miss the NHL but to each his/her own.

I was saying to a fellow hockey fan the other day, that I don't care if the league settles this year or not anymore. I have been watching hockey in one form or another every since the lock-out first loomed. And I agree with you folks on the chat room, IIHF hockey truly rocks. You know the under-17 is coming up on Friday.........and the women's hockey is still ahead in the NY......we've got all kinds of great hockey.