2012 - 2013 IIHF Junior Hockey

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
One of my favorite times of the season when the international Junior games finally get underway. Canada played its first pre-tournie game against the Fins today and did not do well. They spent too much time in the penalty box, Subban was not stellar in goal and in general the team looked like it needs a bit more time to meld. The Fins won 3 to 2.

The US is currently playing Sweden in the 2nd period of their pre-tournie game and the US just got a go-ahead goal to make the score 2 to 1.

The full schedule is available at the website below.

HOME/NEWS - 2013 IIHF ICE HOCKEY JUNIOR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
We'll watch the tournament, but I have to be honest, hockey isn't something I am even thinking about
these days.

Maybe the jrs will get me back into it, we'll see.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
We'll watch the tournament, but I have to be honest, hockey isn't something I am even thinking about
these days.

Maybe the jrs will get me back into it, we'll see.

It usually works for me. I have trouble even thinking about the current negotiations between the NHLPA and the owners.
A bunch of millionaires trying to get richer. The Jrs are the future players in the NHL and the World Junior Championships
is the best hocke around right now. The Jrs have a certain honesty in their play that NHLers seem to have lost.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
It usually works for me. I have trouble even thinking about the current negotiations between the NHLPA and the owners.
A bunch of millionaires trying to get richer. The Jrs are the future players in the NHL and the World Junior Championships
is the best hocke around right now. The Jrs have a certain honesty in their play that NHLers seem to have lost.

Untouched by money and fame, the World's Juniors provide me with a chance to watch hockey without all the surrounding bruhaha. I enjoy watching all the teams in the tournie though I do cheer loudest for our boys. :smile:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

I don't agree about the honesty in the play remark, I love the NHL, the way it is played in the past
few years, not interested in their negotiations, don't bother about it, and I am not in hockey mode,
but I will watch the jr tourney, or at least some of it.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I don't agree about the honesty in the play remark, I love the NHL, the way it is played in the past
few years, not interested in their negotiations, don't bother about it, and I am not in hockey mode,
but I will watch the jr tourney, or at least some of it.

If you want to see honesty in play or lack of it.....watch an NHL all star game....Phoniest game on ice...:roll:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I well remember what a great tourney this was last year. Hopefully, it will be just as exciting if not better. Hockey is, to me, much more fun without the violence and unsportsman like behavior exhibited by the pros. But to each his/her own.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
If you want to see honesty in play or lack of it.....watch an NHL all star game....Phoniest game on ice...:roll:

the problem is that people expect a real game, its not meant to be that way, it is a gathering, it is
for the benefit of the host city. If you are expecting a real game, don't watch it.

That is the mistake many make.

If you think about it, as an owner of a player, one doesn't want their player injured in exhibition play,
and if it was played that way, many owners would not allow their players to attend.

Its not a serious game, and its not suppose to be a serious game, it is for fun, for the kids watching
at the rink, and for the players, owners, managers and others to celebrate the league, get together
sign a million autographs, make live appearances for the kids.

Ever since I clued in to that fact, I have thoroughly enjoyed the celebration of the allstars, in
the way it is meant.

After all the years you have watched, you should have figured it out by now too.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
As the Wendy's girl says...............now that's better! :smile:

Better offence, some fantastic puck-handling, and a few nifty moves..........a bit sloppy on changes and momentary lapses in defence, but our kids came away with a 9 to 3 win over Germany in what was, for all accounts, a much better played game than the pre-tourney sorties. The line of Nugent-Hopkins, Huberdeau and Scheifele - called the 'lock-out line' by Bob MacKenzie - are so smooth, so polished and so effective when they are clicking, that they are magic to watch. Malcolm Subban let a couple of iffy ones in then made a high-light reel save and several great blocks.

All that and only 4 penalties - two of which were kind of iffy - but whose complaining, the lack of discipline that seemed to haunt the team in the pre-tournament games all but vanished yesterday - making both fans and coaches very happy. And to ice the cake, 8 different players scored goals in the win.

Keep up the great work Team Canada. Go, kids, go! :canada:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I enjoyed today's USA win over Germany. But tomorrow we play the Russians and that's always bad news. Did you guys see the antics used by the Russians against Slovakia? Lots of dirty plays and rough stuff. Totally inexcusable in my book.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I enjoyed today's USA win over Germany. But tomorrow we play the Russians and that's always bad news. Did you guys see the antics used by the Russians against Slovakia? Lots of dirty plays and rough stuff. Totally inexcusable in my book.

Canada 6 Slovakia 3
Canada took far too many penalties against the Slovakia team. Part of it was poor refereeing but part was lack of
discipline on the part of the Canadian players.

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
the problem is that people expect a real game, its not meant to be that way, it is a gathering, it is
for the benefit of the host city. If you are expecting a real game, don't watch it.

If you think about it, as an owner of a player, one doesn't want their player injured in exhibition play,
and if it was played that way, many owners would not allow their players to attend.

Its not a serious game, and its not suppose to be a serious game, it is for fun, for the kids watching
at the rink, and for the players, owners, managers and others to celebrate the league, get together

Ever since I clued in to that fact, I have thoroughly enjoyed the celebration of the allstars, in
the way it is meant.
"talloola … Its not a serious game, and its not suppose to be a serious game, it is for fun, ….Ever since I clued in to that fact,…".. Curious, how many years did it take you to clue into that fact?

(Hee, hee) I figured that out the first time I ever saw even a portion of an NHL all star game. I never believed/thought all the named ‘all-stars’ are actually ‘all-stars’. It is definitely for fun, and for fans. The entire NHL all star week/weekend is for fun.

Last edited:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Canada 6 Slovakia 3
Canada took far too many penalties against the Slovakia team. Part of it was poor refereeing but part was lack of
discipline on the part of the Canadian players.

I've been watching all the games so far and the reffing really sucks - not just when our kids play but for all the teams. Missed calls, iffy calls, bad calls - the list goes on. However, our kids really do seem to take more than their share and I am hoping it will not come back to bite them. Yesterday we had two of our best penalty killers in the stands and were very lucky to pull off the win. Glad to see Mark Scheifele get the Best Player award - he was fully engaged for the game.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

the way it is meant.
"talloola … Its not a serious game, and its not suppose to be a serious game, it is for fun, ….Ever since I clued in to that fact,…".. Curious, how many years did it take you to clue into that fact?

(Hee, hee) I figured that out the first time I ever saw even a portion of an NHL all star game. I never believed/thought all the named ‘all-stars’ are actually ‘all-stars’. It is definitely for fun, and for fans. The entire NHL all star week/weekend is for fun.

when we were much younger,I listened to much whining every time the game came around, but changed my
views as time went along, and have enjoyed and realized for years that it is a 'celebration' not a
real game, and it is 'all' the teams participating, so of course its not the top allstars at all, but
a sharing of players for the good of each team.

I enjoy it very much, it is fun.

When one actually pauses and thinks about 'that' game being a real, competetive, serious game it is
ridiculous, and wouldn't be fun any more, and injuries would occur, which hampers that particular team,
which has to play after that, in real league games.

They do change the format from time to time, and that is OK, doesn't matter if many just don't 'get it'.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I've been watching all the games so far and the reffing really sucks - not just when our kids play but for all the teams. Missed calls, iffy calls, bad calls - the list goes on. However, our kids really do seem to take more than their share and I am hoping it will not come back to bite them. Yesterday we had two of our best penalty killers in the stands and were very lucky to pull off the win. Glad to see Mark Scheifele get the Best Player award - he was fully engaged for the game.

I thought the Canadians showed us an absolute clinic in puck control and puck possession in the third period. Nugent Hopkins
had another great game (three points to go with the five points he got in the first game) He plays like Gretsky used to play when he was 17.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I thought the Canadians showed us an absolute clinic in puck control and puck possession in the third period. Nugent Hopkins
had another great game (three points to go with the five points he got in the first game) He plays like Gretsky used to play when he was 17.

I heartily concur, juan. Watching Ryan, Jon and Mark handle the puck so easily with such synchronicity is wonderful to behold. I get such a kick out the announcer that keeps telling us about the 'nifty' moves...........like the one MacKinnon made at the side of the net - no goal but great puck control shoving it between the feet of the Slovak kid.

Also following the Spengler Cup - can't get enough of hockey it seems. Friborg is ahead of Mannheim 3 to 2 in the 3rd. Friborg has played the better game so far. Oh they just got a PP goal. 4 to 2 now.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Not a great 3rd period by our kids and seeing Nugent-Hopkins and Hubredeau sitting together in the penalty box giving the US a PP in the last minute plus of the game with a chance for tie and OT, was not the most impressive sight of the night. Not being able to score on a long 5 on 3 was equally disappointing. Scott Harrington and Dougie Hamilton deserve kudos for their defensive efforts.

That said, the 2 - 1 win over the US puts our kids at first place in our division - a point ahead of the Russians. The US did not look puck-hungry at all and, IMHO, did not play a consistently strong game. They had their chances - more shots on goal - but Malcolm Subban denied them all but the one which came on a PP. It was Subban's best game of the tourney so far boosting his save percentage from .893 to .973. The US were also guilty of taking really bad penalties. Captain Jake McCabe and forward Ryan Hartman both drew game misconducts.

Nugent-Hopkins and Ryan Strome scored for the Canadians. Jacob Trouba got the lone US goal.

Canada vs Russia on New Year's Eve