2012 ryder cup

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
anyone else looking forward to the ryder cup like I am?

medinah country club, chicago ill

friday, sat and sunday, September 28,29,30.

I've followed the lead up to friday all week, so exciting, can't begin to suggest what team
is the stronger.

Of course the u.s. is at home, so that will be in their favour.

the u.s. against all of europe

I tend to cheer for the europeans, not because I don't like the u.s. team, I do, but my roots
are irish/english, and that does it for me.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I tend to cheer for the europeans, not because I don't like the u.s. team, I do, but my roots are irish/english, and that does it for me.

Those are both valid reasons for me. I was born in London and find the Americans, in most sports, to be just a bit to cockey & arrogant and sometimes positively unsportsmanlike at all so I just have to root for the other guys whoever it might be.

As for the actual matches I couldn't say. I used to follow golf closely and played a pretty darn good game when I was younger. Before marriage and raising a bunch of kids I carried a 2 handicap. I hate to say it but all the guys I used to watch are on the senior tour now. :-(

I would imagine the premier singles match will be Tiger vs Mcilroy then maybe Mikelson vs Westwood. The thing with golf is anyone can beat anyone over 18 holes, especially at that level. I just hope they play it close, nothing like the pressure cooker of the last group or 2 on Sunday fighting for the win on the 18th.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
anyone else looking forward to the ryder cup like I am?

medinah country club, chicago ill

friday, sat and sunday, September 28,29,30.

I've followed the lead up to friday all week, so exciting, can't begin to suggest what team
is the stronger.

Of course the u.s. is at home, so that will be in their favour.

the u.s. against all of europe

I tend to cheer for the europeans, not because I don't like the u.s. team, I do, but my roots

The only times I won't be watching will be when the telecast conflicts with the CFL games this weekend, talloola. Other than that I have been watching the practice sessions and interviews for a couple of days now. Go Rory! :smile:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Get out! I am shocked!

Those are both valid reasons for me. I was born in London and find the Americans, in most sports, to be just a bit to cockey & arrogant and sometimes positively unsportsmanlike at all so I just have to root for the other guys whoever it might be.

You TOO! Good Heavens!

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
There is usually one player from the bottom half of the field, for lack of a better term, who surprises everyone. Has that amazing weekend and slays some giants. Anyone want to pick who it is this time....

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I just hope the fans in chicago have much more class than those in boston at brookline, which even
embarrassed some of the american team.

I think a lesson was learned from that display, and the tournament has had more sportsmanship since
then.

I like all of the players as individuals on both teams, and will watch for all of them to play well.

I want the europeans to be the victors when the dust settles.

I watched 'The war on the shore' this week, where bernard langer missed the short put to lose the
championship to the americans.

There was a lot of anamosity during that tournament, which started before anyone even hit a ball.

A clip of many shots during ryder cups were shown to the players before it started, and it was
100% u.s. players, and the europeans were obviously left out on purpose.
Then when raymond floyd gave his pre-game speech he mentioned that the us team were the best players
in the world, again not mentioning anything positive about the europeans, so a bad taste was left
in the mouths of the europeans immediately, and it didn't stop there.

Sevi was criticized for 'clearing his throat' a few times during an american's swing, so it did turn into a bit of a war.

I don't expect to see anything of the sort now, all who are part of the tournament will not behave
that way now, the game has become classier.

Many of the europeans live in the u.s. now, and are much more familiar to all spectators, so the
atmosphere will be loud but enjoyable, (except of course for the idiots drinking too much, who
suddenly get stupid.)
Luke Donald, englishman, has lived in chicago for 15 years, the only one who can
say he is playing at home.

opening ceremonies this afternoon about 5 oclock. I think that is eastern time.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I remember Langer missing that putt. It was devastating to his career. I also remember how the US media played it up as a massive victory when in reality that was the last group on the 17th to decide the winner.

I also remember Brookline. Embarrassing! Totally shameful and embarrassing!

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Traditionally the European fans aren't a basket of roses either. It comes with the territory.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Traditionally the European fans aren't a basket of roses either. It comes with the territory.

I don't have a problem with supporting your side. Be load and raucous as you like in between shots. In Brookline the noise was present while the Euros were trying to play. Even when some US players and captains asked the idiots to stop, which was a class act, they kept jeering and taunting during every Euro shot.

This is golf....a gentleman's game. If you want to act like that as a fan go to a hockey game or UFC. You need to respect the sport and its rules/ettique.

There is usually one player from the bottom half of the field, for lack of a better term, who surprises everyone. Has that amazing weekend and slays some giants. Anyone want to pick who it is this time....
I'm picking Justin Rose. I remember him contending for the British Open as a 17 year old amateur. I think he might be the guy to pair with Mcilroy against the US top duo.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I remember Langer missing that putt. It was devastating to his career. I also remember how the US media played it up as a massive victory when in reality that was the last group on the 17th to decide the winner.

I also remember Brookline. Embarrassing! Totally shameful and embarrassing!

Dude... that was the biggest comeback ever in the Ryder Cup if I remember.

What was embarrassing was the Europeans blowing such a big lead.

Yes I know... Americans aren't supposed to cheer and be excited. We all must be humble and bow our heads in victory and defeat.

It was sour grapes... that is all.

No kidding. The bottom line was the Europeans lost on the final day in a big way. It was like the Red Sox winning 4 in a row against the Yankees after being down 3-0 in the 2004 ALCS.

Again sour grapes.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Dude... that was the biggest comeback ever in the Ryder Cup if I remember.

What was embarrassing was the Europeans blowing such a big lead.

Yes I know... Americans aren't supposed to cheer and be excited. We all must be humble and bow our heads in victory and defeat.

It was sour grapes... that is all.

No kidding. The bottom line was the Europeans lost on the final day in a big way. It was like the Red Sox winning 4 in a row against the Yankees after being down 3-0 in the 2004 ALCS.

Again sour grapes.

You are confusing 2 events. Langer missed the putt at Kiawah. It was 4 years later at Brookline the crowd was unruly and unsportsmanlike.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
You are confusing 2 events. Langer missed the putt at Kiawah. It was 4 years later at Brookline the crowd was unruly and unsportsmanlike.

Am I?

1999 Ryder Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A snippet...

"It was nevertheless the largest come-from-behind victory in Ryder Cup history, and it is widely regarded as one of the most impressive come-from-behind victories in recent sports history."

Sour grapes. The Europeans needed just four points to win going into the second day and lost. They got their knickers twisted because they were upset. So Europeans did what they do best... whine.

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

thats right, and we shouldn't be in denial of who did what, the americans shouldn't be supported when
they act like asses, and same goes for the other side, no sour grapes, they can all win or lose anytime,
but it is how it happens that is important.

the americans totally lost composure when leonard sunk that putt, completely forgot and ignored the
fact that jose-maria was standing there waiting to putt, and the wives running all over the place
acting like groupies while he was waiting to putt was so tacky.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I think it will be an interesting tournament, especially with the Woods - McIlroy rivalry. Any of course I will support the Europeans, as I can't stand Woods.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
thats right, and we shouldn't be in denial of who did what, the americans shouldn't be supported when
they act like asses, and same goes for the other side, no sour grapes, they can all win or lose anytime,
but it is how it happens that is important.

the americans totally lost composure when leonard sunk that putt, completely forgot and ignored the
fact that jose-maria was standing there waiting to putt, and the wives running all over the place
acting like groupies while he was waiting to putt was so tacky.

I wasn't confusing two events. I was spot on. 1999 Brookline was the biggest comeback in Ryder Cup History. The Europeans blew a huge lead and they vented at the fans for celebrating.

It was sour grapes. Everyone gets p***ed when we win and even more p***ed when we celebrate.

OH WAIT! Can I say they weren't TRUE U.S Golf Fans like the rioters in Vancouver weren't TRUE Canucks fans? LMAO.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I wasn't confusing two events. I was spot on. 1999 Brookline was the biggest comeback in Ryder Cup History. The Europeans blew a huge lead and they vented at the fans for celebrating.

It was sour grapes. Everyone gets p***ed when we win and even more p***ed when we celebrate.

OH WAIT! Can I say they weren't TRUE U.S Golf Fans like the rioters in Vancouver weren't TRUE Canucks fans? LMAO.

As I said earlier that you ignored, it is not the crowd cheering and celebrating that was the issue. Throw a friken yoga party alongside the fairest for all I care about that. It is the fact fans were heckling and making noise while the Euros were trying to play and of course the deal Taloola mentions where the whole team and entourage stormed the green while Olazabal still had to putt. I know they were excited but it wasn't over yet.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
As I said earlier that you ignored, it is not the crowd cheering and celebrating that was the issue. Throw a friken yoga party alongside the fairest for all I care about that. It is the fact fans were heckling and making noise while the Euros were trying to play and of course the deal Taloola mentions where the whole team and entourage stormed the green while Olazabal still had to putt. I know they were excited but it wasn't over yet.

Yeah I know they whined incessantly about Americans making noises... of course after they were on the wrong side of the biggest Ryder Cup Comeback in history. They were humiliated.

Sour Grapes.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

you're right on the second count - lol

if you go into 2012 ryder cup web site, the pairings are announced.