2012 CFL Season

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The CFL pre-season kicks off this Wednesday with a double-header that will see Toronto in Hamilton followed by the Riders who will travel to Vancouver for a meeting with the Lions.

Four of the pre-season games will be televised by TSN. The schedule for these games follows.

TSN and TSN2's CFL pre-season broadcast schedule is as follows:

• Wednesday, June 13 – Toronto @ Hamilton at 7 p.m. ET on TSN
  • Wednesday, June 13 – Saskatchewan @ B.C. at 10 p.m. ET on TSN
  • Friday, June 15 – Edmonton @ Calgary at 9 p.m. ET on TSN2
  • Wednesday, June 20 – Hamilton @ Winnipeg at 8 p.m. ET on TSN2

GO RIDERS, GO!

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
lions will be glad hockey finished tonight, as there would have been a game 7 on wednesday interferring

with the pre season football.

I think the lions have a few small injuries right now, but apparantly not serious or long term, but

could affect pre season games.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
SUITOR: VETERAN EAST QB'S FACE YOUNG GUNS IN WEST

Suitor: Veteran East QB's face young guns in West

Years ago there was a television series called Kung Fu which took place in the Old West, and was a story about a Shaolin Monk called Caine. In the opening sequence a young Caine nicknamed "Grasshopper," would look up to his master and try and snatch a pebble from his hand. If he was successful, it was time for him to lead. If he wasn't, he would have to stay in the village for more tutoring.At the risk of dating myself, I bring this up because there is a very interesting match up that has developed at the quarterback position between the East and the West divisions in the CFL this year.

In the East you have the masters. Veterans led by Anthony Calvillo in Montreal, who along with Henry Burris in Hamilton, Ricky Ray in Toronto and Buck Pierce in Winnipeg, have a combined 606 starts under their belts. Compare that to the "Grasshoppers" in the West, the likes of Travis Lulay in B.C., Darian Durant in Saskatchewan, Drew Tate in Calgary, and Steven Jyles in Edmonton (we will go with Jyles at this point even though that may not be a done deal just yet) who have started a total of 106 games combined. That is a difference of 500 more starts for the veterans in the East versus the young guns in the West.

A further examination of the numbers really shows just how much more experience the QB's in the East have over their young counterparts.

For instance, Anthony Calvillo alone has 154 wins as a starting quarterback, which is exactly 103 wins more than the West combined.The average age in the East is 34.5 years old with all four starters over the age of thirty, compared to the combined average age of the West at 28.3 with all four starters south of thirty. That 6.2 year difference may not seem like a lot, but when you throw in the fact that the Eastern quarterbacks have thrown for 790 more touchdowns, and have passed for about 127 kilometers more than the West, you get the idea of just how much of a discrepancy there is between the two divisions with regards to experience.

Over their careers the Eastern veterans combined have completed exactly 10,368 more passes in live game action, than the Western division starters.

However, before the numbers lead anyone to assume that the overwhelming edge in experience automatically means that the East will dominate this year, remember that the reigning Most Outstanding Player of the league, who led the Lions to a Grey Cup championship, is one of those Western young guns in Travis Lulay. Despite the fact that Lulay has just 27 total starts in his career, which is 226 less than league leader Anthony Calvillo, he was just 403 yards behind the Als vet, and closing fast at the end of the regular season last year. You could say based on last year that Lulay has a pebble in his pocket already.

It should also be pointed out that Darian Durant in Saskatchewan may have just 57 starts in his career, but in his first two seasons as a starter led the Riders to the Grey Cup game both years. The more experienced Calvillo won the match up in both of those years vs. Durant, and you could make the argument that the edge in experience was a factor in those wins. However, as we look forward to the 2012 season that experience doesn't necessarily guarantee success. For every athlete there is a small window where youth and experience mesh perfectly, however, that window can close quickly where there becomes a fine line between being experienced and being, "over the hill."

The masters in the East say they feel great physically, and can't wait to kick things off. The grasshoppers in the West say they have fresh legs, and are ready to take a run at the Cup.

So as we get ready to kick off the 2012 regular season the question is, will the grasshoppers in the West snatch the pebble from the masters in the East, or will it be back to the village for more tutoring?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
BY: Rod Pedersen
Voice of the Riders

They blew up the team and didn't even tell us.

The fact dawned on me early last week while hosting my radio show and chatting with Leader Post football writer Ian Hamilton. After gutting nearly every position on the field and replacing more than half of the coaching staff, the Saskatchewan Roughriders blew up their franchise from last year without notifying us of their intentions.

After a 5-13 season in 2011, who could blame them?

No kids, these aren't your Mom and Dad's Saskatchewan Roughriders. Let's recap:
All back-up quarterbacks behind Darian Durant were set free leaving four QBs with no CFL experience to battle it out in training camp for two spots.

• Three starters on the offensive line (LT Alex Gauthier, LG Gene Makowsky and C Marc Parenteau) all left for various reasons and were replaced by LG Brendon Labatte and C Dominic Picard in free agency. The Left Tackle spot, the "blindside", will be fought for in camp.

• The franchise's second all-time leading rusher, Wes Cates, was released in the off-season leaving former NFLers Kory Sheets and Louis Rankin along with incumbent Brandon West to fight for the starting job.

• Popular slotback Andy Fantuz was allowed to walk in free agency and no one seemed to care.

• Three-quarters of the defensive line will be new. Only DT Keith Shologan remains but you may have heard of Odell Willis, the controversial rush end who came over in a trade with Winnipeg this winter.
ALL three linebacker spots are open with the departures of Jerrell Freeman, Barrin Simpson and Sean Lucas in the off-season.

• The defensive secondary is the only spot which could be unchanged with all five starters from last year's final game back for another year.

• And who could forget about the coaching staff? Greg Marshall and Ken Miller split the role of head coach last year but both are out of the game this season. Rookie head coach Corey Chamblin, who turned 35 last week, has assembled an all-star cast on his staff. TSN's Matt Dunigan said it reads like a "Who's Who" of the CFL including Khari Jones, Jason Tucker and Barron Miles. But don't be fooled; the coordinators (Bob Dyce on offense and Richie Hall on defense) are holdovers from last year providing continuity and stability.

So there you go. They thought they could sneak it by us but we're too wise! For whatever reason teams in all sports at all levels are deathly afraid of the term "rebuild" and perhaps why you've never heard that term used by GM Brendan Taman over the past six months.

But what would you call it?

...........................................................................................................................................................................

So, it seems that the team we will be watching this year will bear little comparison to last year's. What the outcome of the changes will be and how it will effect the Rider's chances at a Grey Cup this year will be played out in the coming season. Fans of the Riders can only hope that this 'new' team will indeed be able to get the job done. I do like the new coach and have high hopes that Corey Chamblin can do the job but then I liked Marshall too - while he lasted. It will be up to the players, as it always is, to respond to his leadership by winning games.

The pre-season is the time when we get to see the new guys on the teams and many veteran players on both sides of tonight's games will either on the side-lines or at home.

GO, RIDERS, GO!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I would have to say any Rider team would be an improvement over last year but it would be extremely lucky for them to beat anybody else from the west with such a revamped roster.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I would have to say any Rider team would be an improvement over last year but it would be extremely lucky for them to beat anybody else from the west with such a revamped roster.

Well if last night's 'efforts' are an example of things to come, you could very well be right, IRBS. Actually, non-effort might be a better phrase to use. The Riders sucked and BC looked like the Grey Cup Champs they are. Even BC's second string looked better. The only bright spots in the night for Sask were Cory Sheets (new guy) and back-up QB Drew Willy, the latter actually managed to get a TD for Sask - too little too late as it turned out. Don't know what's up with Darian but last night's outing was nothing to write home about.

44 -10 BC over Sask

On another note, the TO vs Hamilton game was at least close and gave us an opportunity to see the battle between Rickie Ray and Hank Burris as it continues in the East. Both teams played good games and I look forward to watching Hamilton continue to improve during the coming season.

29 -24 TO over Hamilton

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The CFL regular season got under way this past week and though not a Lion's fan I have to mention how very happy I am for Geroy Simon and his record accomplishment.............always liked Geroy and was glad he was able to set the record in the first game of the regular season.

For a take on the teams, pro and con, here is an article by Chris Schultz.

SCHULTZ: IT IS ONLY ONE GAME OF CFL FOOTBALL BUT...

Chris Schultz
7/2/2012

It is only one game of CFL football but the Saskatchewan Roughriders look great; very composed, polished and mature. Toward the end of Friday's game quarterback Darian Durant was peacemaker as the inevitable tempers began to rise between players. That's a great indication of leadership as Durant is not worried about a fight, he is concerned that if it explodes into a brawl, he will lose a starter to suspension next week, like his starting right tackle Chris Patrick who was in an altercation late in the game. That's a key indicator that the focus is on winning, not personal vendettas. The Riders were impressive in Week 1.

(Also thought that Shultzie should have mentioned Corey Sheets who is a new receiver for the Riders and well worth watching in the coming weeks.)

It is only one game of CFL football but Calgary's Drew Tate was more than effective, he was exceptional. My last memory of Tate was the Western Semifinal against the Edmonton Eskimos when he was taken out at half-time. Fast forward to the present situation and performance and Drew Tate is here to stay. The most significant observation was his confrontation; if he felt you were at fault for a particular play failing, he let you know and told you to your face. It's okay to do in Week 1 but it becomes an aggravation by Week 5. Head coach John Hufnagel and offensive coordinator Dave Dickenson have done a superior job of getting Tate ready to play. He can compete with any CFL quarterback.

(Ah yes, Drew Tate of the goofy hair and the great arm........I thought he was a bit antsy but marked it down to opening season jitters. The real player of the game for me was Canadian Jon Cornish...........that guy has legs that never stop.)

It is only one game of CFL football but the Eskimos are still an unknown to me. Quarterback Steven Jyles could have put the game out of reach but didn't and allowed the Argos a shot at a late comeback. Running back Hugh Charles has to break more tackles but you can see they have a lot of solid players. Edmonton is going to be be able to keep games close and win or lose in the fourth quarter, depending on the kicking game. And as awkward as it was to see Ray in blue, it was equally disappointing not to see him in green. Edmonton is good, but they are not great yet.

(I am still having trouble seeing Ray in the Blue and White of TO..........just seems so wrong somehow. Hope he can get his game back though.)

It is only one game of CFL football but the B.C. Lions have picked up exactly from where they left off last year. The most impressive aspect of football for the Lions was not the quarterback, receivers or any ball handler. It was Adam Bighill at middle linebacker, who has explosive closing speed, excels in key pre- and post-snap reads, and at 5 10", 240lbs, is a punishing, consistent tackler. I did not think much of Bighill last year covering kicks but I do now and he is a replacement for Solomon Elimimian.

(Would have been nice of Shultz to give Geroy a nod.)

It is only one game of CFL football but the Winnipeg Blue Bombers have a tough and critical decision to make. It has been my experience that as much as skill and ability, an employer wants dependability; show up on time and do your job all the time to the best of your ability. Right now, Buck Pierce is not dependable because he can't stay healthy. If you can't stay on the field, you can't improve and if you don't improve you become a liability, not an asset. Now , everyone respects Buck Pierce, but, it may be time for Alex Brink to play quarterback. I cannot overstate the value of people working with people over time to create excellence, and more than any other position, quarterback needs to develop a feel for the players around him. Again, not a criticism of Buck Pierce, but it is time for Alex Brink.

(As I have mentioned in the past, I give full credit to Buck for his gutsy play but sooner or later he is going to end up with mush for brains if he doesn't quit trying to run the darn ball. I believe that Alex Brink is going to be the QB that the Bombers need.)

It is only one game of CFL football but the Hamilton Tiger-Cats have to get it together fast. A key in handling adversity is to stay calm and think, not react with emotion. This is one of the most important weeks for the Ticats as they must conclude what went wrong and how to fix it. I saw only two positive aspects of football in Week 1: Chevon Walker in the running game and the excellance of Chris Williams as a multi-purpose player. Everything else was reason for concern.

(Seeing Hank in the Black and Gold of the Ti-Cats doesn't bother me at all...........I fell off him when he began to act out last year. Would much rather see Quenton Porter in as QB for the Cats.)

It is only one game of CFL football but the Toronto Argonauts are going to be just fine. Now I know that 'just fine' is not good enough but sometimes you have to create 'just fine' before you see 'pure excellence'. The return game was solid, the offence improved as the game in Edmonton progressed and on defence, they only allowed 19 points. That will continue to improve as long as the starting 12 stay healthy. A dropped touchdown pass, a touchdown called back and 19 penalties are all controllable aspects of football.

(I agree with Schultz on the chances for TO, as long as Rickie can get his mojo back.)

It is only one game of CFL football but the Montreal Alouettes should be very concerned. I did not see this one coming and was shocked to read that Calgary had 30 first downs to Montreal's 11. I was shocked because dominance in first downs is dominance of play. It is tough to accumulate that many first downs in 3-down football. This is more of a big-play league as compared to a grinding time-of-possesion league. First question in Montreal is, do they have the talent to play this style of this defence?

(Agreed, Schultzie..............Anthony looked off the mark so many times I was really beginning to think Mark Trestman should have replaced him in the 2nd half...........maybe Tony's days are finally numbered.......but then he is Tony and one cannot count him out until the last whistle is blown on this season. And, I thought the Calgary defence was exceptional.)

My kudos to Corey Sheets, Weston Dressler and Darian Durant on the great Rider win.

GO, RIDERS, GO.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The Riders will hold their own this season will they win the Cup? No
but the will build a serious team with longevity and that is the real
goal. I hope they beat the Lions at least once and I would like to see
anyone take the cup from BC Cannot stand the Lions, anybody but
the Lions is good for me.
Riders will come way up in the standing though and yes they had to do
something in face of last years unfortunate season.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

grrrrrr, meow, scritch, hiss. lol

oh by the way, wally sends his love.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

I'm taking this season week-by-week, DG.................if we can stay consistent and win some games, I'll be happy. What with a new coach in Cory Chamblin and a shake-up in the team itself, we have a lot to focus on in this season.

I figured it was really important that Darian came out as well as he did in the season opener - for him, the team and us fans. He needed to get his feet back on the ground and the win was a great confidence booster.

I appreciate every single team in the CFL especially as our league has so few of them. The Lions deserve every kudo they get as does any team that had a rookie as QB and went on to win the Cup.

Durant headlines Week 1 Players of the Week

CFL.ca Staff

TORONTO -- Darian Durant, JC Sherritt, Grant Shaw and Jon Cornish were named the Gibson's Finest CFL Players of the Week for Week 1, the Canadian Football League announced today.

The four players were chosen by a panel of judges including: former Canadian Football League players Matt Dunigan and Duane Forde, now of TSN, and Pierre Vercheval of RDS.

After leading the Roughriders to an 43-16 opening night win over the Tiger-Cats, QB Darian Durant has been named the Offensive Player of the Week. Durant completed 25 of his 34 passes for 390 yards and four touchdown passes.

He currently leads all quarterbacks in both categories.

The 29-year old also made an impact on the ground, running for 33 yards and five carries.

Last season’s West Division Most Outstanding Rookie nominee JC Sherritt earns Top Defensive Player honours following Edmonton’s win over the Argonauts at Commonwealth Stadium.

The sophomore registered a game-high 11 tackles, good enough for tops in the West Division, and second overall in the league.

He also forced one fumble.

Sherritt’s teammate, kicker Grant Shaw, is the Special Teams Player of the Week following his perfect performance against his former team.

Shaw, acquired by the Eskimos in the trade that sent Ricky Ray to Toronto, connected on all four of his field goals and tacked on one single for 13 points.

New Westminster, B.C. native Jon Cornish is the Canadian Player of the Week, following his impressive play against the Alouettes on Canada Day.

Cornish was a key contributor in the Stampeders’ 38-10 win over Montreal, rushing for 86 yards and two touchdowns on 18 carries.

Week 2
Game Time Schedules – all times are PST

Friday - Winnipeg @ Montreal 4pm on TSN
Friday - Hamilton @ BC 7pm on TSN
Saturday – Calgary @ Toronto Noon on TSN
Sunday - Edmonton @ Saskatchewan 4pm on TSN

This is Glen Suitors take on Week 1 in the CFL

It doesn’t take much for Riders fans to be excited for football at Mosaic Stadium, but given the recent circumstances, Sunday’s home opener against the Eskimos couldn’t possibly come sooner.

The Riders put a difficult 2011 behind them with last weekend’s impressive 43 – 16 road win over the Ti-Cats, and now they’ll hope to carry that success to their home province in a battle between two 1 – 0 teams.

Darian Durant threw for 390 yards with four touchdowns and no turnovers, while adding 33 yards on the ground. Weston Dressler had an unforgettable night on the receiving end, with 13 receptions for 180 yards to go with three touchdowns.

The offensive outburst was a major relief for Riderville, which suffered through a five-win season in 2011, including an uncharacteristic 3 – 6 at home.

Just as the Riders turned heads in Week 1, the Esks continue to fly under the radar despite a 19 – 15 win over former quarterback Ricky Ray and his Toronto Argos.

Steven Jyles showed plenty of confidence in managing the Esks offence, and despite it being his first game, he looked more at home than he ever did during his 2011 stint with Toronto.

Jyles protected the ball against a very aggressive Argos defence, and it’ll take another similar performance against the Riders if the Esks want to open their 2012 road schedule with a win.

The most impressive part of the Esks’ first win came on the defensive side of the football, where they prevented Ray from throwing downfield while also frustrating star running back Cory Boyd throughout the game. Boyd was held to just 57 total yards on 18 touches, despite having 10 receptions.

And finally but most importantly we saw a little history in Week 1 when the Lions Geroy Simon passed Milt Stegall and became the all-time leading receiver in CFL history. Much has been said about why Simon is as good, and as consistent as he has been though out the years, but rather than go over all his strengths as a receiver and person again, there was something else interesting about the night he broke the record.

Simon was inundated by family, media and fan requests on game day. He was juggling upwards of twenty five family members that were there to support him, and was making sure that they had everything they needed, including sideline passes for his son and father.

Right up to about an hour before kickoff he was posing for pictures with fans, most of which were little kids that understood the significance of the night and wanted a picture with their hero. And if that wasn't overwhelming enough, was asked, and complied with virtually every media request he got, including television interviews before the game, at half time, and even during the game.

Simon proved that it is possible to be a great ambassador of the game and take care of all media responsibilities, and the fans, and still stay focused on the job at hand and the game. Simon after changing his game day routine more drastically that it had ever been changed before, or will again, had 105 receiving yards, helped his team win, and made CFL history.

Glen Suitor for TSN

ROCK ON RIDERS!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

A lot of Alouette fans will be closely watching their QB in today’s game. Tony did not have an auspicious opening season game and the boo-birds were quick to beak off about the possibility that the Great Cavillo’s time may have come. Having been a long time fan of Anthony’s, I too questioned his inability to move the ball or connect with his receivers in the Als outing against the Stampeders last week. However, I doubt that we have seen the last of Tony. Everyone can have a bad game and that is what I put it down too. So it will be really interesting to see what the Bomber defense can do tonight and if Tony can get his mojo working.

Alouettes, Bombers both seeking first win in CFL East Division clash

By: Bill Beacon, The Canadian Press
Posted: 07/5/2012 6:13 PM

MONTREAL - Montreal Alouettes linebacker Shea Emry doesn't mind having only four days off before Friday night's game against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in Montreal.

The short turnaround will help him forget the team's 38-10 season-opening loss in Calgary on Canada Day.

''Last week there were too many mental errors,'' the Vancouver native said. ''It wasn't the Alouette football we've been used to in the past.

"I'm just glad it's a short week so we get to move on faster.''

Emry committed the game's most talked-about mistake in the second quarter when he was penalized for hitting Stampeders quarterback Drew Tate while Tate was on the ground, giving the Stampeders a first down on the Alouettes 17-yard line. Calgary quickly scored a touchdown to open up an 18-point lead.

The CFL fined Emry for the hit on Wednesday.

Emry declined to talk about the hit on Thursday, saying he's now focused on stopping Winnipeg quarterback Buck Pierce on Friday (TSN, 7 p.m. ET).

''It gives me a chance to redeem myself, within the rules,'' Emry said, adding that he's put last week's mistake behind him.

"This week it's Buck Pierce, who makes a lot of plays with his legs. He can get out of a lot of difficult situations. It's just for us to make sure we contain him and make some plays on the ball.''

The Blue Bombers dropped their season opener 33-16 to the B.C. Lions in a Grey Cup rematch in Vancouver on June 29. Pierce left that game with a leg injury in the second quarter after completing only three of nine passes for 11 yards. Although backup Alex Brink went 12-for-26 for 121 yards and two touchdowns in relief, Pierce is still slated to start against Montreal.

It's unclear whether the oft-injured Pierce will last the whole game, so Emry said the Alouettes are ready for either quarterback.

''Alex Brink's a great quarterback too,'' he said. ''He's made a lot of plays.

"The main thing on our plate is making plays on those guys, whoever is back there.''

There were also questions about Montreal's soon-to-be 40-year-old quarterback Anthony Calvillo after he was held to 16 completions for 174 yards and only one touchdown by Calgary. He also threw two interceptions, after giving up only eight in all of 2011.

The Alouettes defence was expected to take time to gel after several off-season roster changes. But the offence, almost entirely intact, also looked disjointed against Calgary.

It will be tested by Winnipeg's aggressive defence, which played a key role in the Bombers' East Division title last season.

''The toughest thing at the start of the year is that you have to deal with all their blitzes,'' said Calvillo. ''They don't try to confuse you much. They're just very good at what they do. And they play a lot of man-to-man.''

The Montreal defence tightened up in the second half against Calgary, forcing three turnovers. The Alouettes hope to carry that momentum into Friday night, but they will do it without defensive back Dwight Anderson, who broke his finger in practice on Wednesday. Coach Marc Trestman said Anderson will be out of action for a couple of weeks.

Montreal was already missing defensive end John Bowman and also lost rookie end Murrell Marques for two to four weeks with a shoulder injury.

The Bombers made an adjustment on offence, replacing rookie centre Chris Kowalczuk with Justin Sorensen.

The game will be special for Alouettes safety Kyries Hebert, who played for Winnipeg in 2006 and 2007 before jumping to the NFL's Cincinnati Bengals. The 31-year-old spent 2010 in Hamilton but didn't play at all last season.

Hebert still has some old friends in Winnipeg, but said it will be all business against Pierce on Friday.

''I hope for great health for Buck Pierce,'' said Hebert. ''But any chance I get for anyone carrying the ball in blue and gold, they're going to get hit. That's our mentality here.''

VANCOUVER - Last week, receiver Geroy Simon was looking to put his name in the CFL's history books.

This week, he and the rest of the B.C. Lions are looking for redemption against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on Friday night.

Watch the game live on TSN at 10pm et/7pm pt.

Simon set the CFL's all-time receiving record in B.C.'s season-opening win over Winnipeg. But he and his teammates are dissatisfied with recent efforts against Hamilton.

The Ticats have won four of the past five-regular-season meetings between the teams dating to 2009. Including playoffs, the Southern Ontario squad is 4-2 against B.C. in the same time span.

"We're looking to play better against these guys," said Simon after a walk-through Thursday at B.C. Place Stadium. "We haven't played particularly well the last couple of years. They've had our number, so we're looking to turn the tide and get a victory."

Simon is looking forward to a more normal game after being the centre of attention before and after eclipsing retired Bomber great Milt Stegall's record. Most of Simon's friends and family have gone home following the history-setting night, when he caught five passes for 105 yards in the Grey Cup rematch to reach 15,192 yards for his career.

Two friends are coming in from Winnipeg for Friday's contest, when the Lions will pay him a longer tribute during a special half-time ceremony. But Simon expects to be able to concentrate better against Hamilton.

"Things are back to normal," he said. "I'm feeling good. I'm ready to go. Hardly no distractions, so I'm ready to rock and roll."

But the Lions have not been able to produce much in the way of a melody against Tiger-Cats lately. Hamilton went 2-0 against the Lions last season, beating them 39-31 in July. The loss was the fourth of five straight season-opening setbacks for the Lions.

B.C. soon turned its fortunes around, winning 11 of its next 12 games en route to the sixth Grey Cup in franchise history. But the Lions have still not solved the Ticats' puzzle.

The lone loss in the late-season surge was to Hamilton — in the form of a 42-10 whitewashing. No other team has beaten B.C. since then Simon, who routinely amasses more than 100 receiving yards per game, has been limited to double-digit yardage in the past six games, five in the regular season and one in the playoffs, between the clubs.

"I think I've played okay," said Simon, who was held to 42 yards in their last meeting, in October. "I could have have played better. I got a couple big hits on me last year, in the last game we played in Hamilton. But last year was last year. I'm looking to gain on the momentum that we achieved last week."

B.C. tailback Andrew Harris also hopes to pick up on the momentum of last week and late last season, when he emerged as a starter en route to being named top Canadian in the Grey Cup. But he is also looking for some redemption against Hamilton.
Last season, he was still a backup in the first game in July and did not play much in a 39-31 loss, managing a respectable 13 yards on two carries. In the second game, he was sidelined with a shoulder injury in the second quarter after gaining 40 yards on just three carries.

"I'm just hoping to get a full game and, at the end of the game, two points," said Harris.

Rookie B.C. offensive guard Matt Norman is also looking to redeem himself after struggling in his CFL debut. He started against the Bombers but played spariningly in the second half.

"It's a fast, big, strong league," he said. "You're playing against smart football players. Obviously, there's going to be a learning curve, which there is to anything. So I'm just going to keep plugging away."

New Lions coach Mike Benevides, who was around for the previous losses as an assistant, hopes B.C. has learned a few lessons from their most recent encounters with Hamilton. He said the Lions must get out to a much better and more aggressive start than they did previously. Benevides attributes the Lions' struggles with the Ticats to several factors, not the least of which is familiarity.

Several ex-Lions wearing yellow and black have come back to haunt B.C. Most have gone, but hard-hitting linebackers Jamall Johnson and Markeith Knowlton remain.

Quarterback Travis Lulay expects the duo to be part of constant pressure that he will face from a difficult Hamiton defence. He also wants the Lions to cut down on their penalties after seeing four first downs nullified by infractions against Winnipeg.

The Ticats are also looking for redemption after losing 43-16 to Saskatchewan in their season opener under new coach George Cortez. But Benevides and Lulay contend, as with their 33-13 win over Winnipeg, the game was much closer than the score indicated.

"They're stung a little bit about how the first week went, and we know how this is, to come off a loss and come back after the first half of last season," said Lulay. "This an important week for them, so we know we'll get a great effort from them."

Notes: Lions offensive guard Jon Hameister-Ries, who missed two practices this week because of lingering effects of a knee injury suffered in training camp, will be a game-time decision. Fellow B.C. guard Dean Valli (knee). ... The B.C. Place roof will be open. The Lions have pledged to let fans know the roof's status earlier so that they can dress accordingly. ... Knowlton will return to Hamilton's starting lineup after being used as a backup last week.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I really get a kick out of the early games of the regular season where anything can happen and often does. From fumble recoveries to spectacular punt returns and interceptions for TDs.

Anthony Calvillo silenced his critics in the first quarter of the Als game against the Bombers and went on to have 31 of 39 completions for 443 yards, 3 TD passes and no interceptions - no dust on Calvillo. As good as Tony was, it was Brandon Whittaker who has fans talking - Whittaker managed 11 catches for 137 yards and a career-high 3 TDs as the Als got their first win of the year with a 41 to 30 win over the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

The Bombers on the other hand had a hard time finishing when within sight of the goal line. Buck Pierce was back in after suffering an injury in last week's season opener. Pierce threw 18 completions for 255 yards. One of the most exciting plays during the game came on a goal-line stand by the Bombers that saw the Als needing five tries, helped by an offside Bomber penalty, to get the ball in the end zone.

The BC Lions were looking for redemption against the Ti-Cats and it came with the play of Shawn Gore and Tim Brown who really stood out for the Lions. Gore got 2 TDs on the night and Brown ran for 296 yards - one being an 81 yard punt return, finishing the night with 157 yards on punt returns and 139 on kick-offs. Travis Lulay completed 17 of 31 passes for a total of 178 yards.

Burris was less than outstanding on the night, looking discombobulated and unable to make completions. He was pulled late in the 2nd and Quinton Porter came in to finish the half. Burris was back in the 3rd Q and finished the game with 5 TD passes. Chevon Walker had a spectacular punt return for the Ti-Cats, dancing his way down-field as he managed to evade at times as many as 5 BC defenders - it was a thing of beauty. Seems like the CFL has a few exciting punt returners this year and Chevon is definitely one to watch. The game was never a run-away for either team but BC held on to take the game 39 to 36.

Saturday's game saw the Boatmen at home to the Calgary Stampeders in yet another less than sell-out crowd - where are all the fans this year? Drew Tate suffered a serious shoulder injury early in the 1rst and was taken to the dressing room. He returned to the sidelines to cheer his team on but will be out for a few weeks with a separated shoulder. Kevin Glen came in for Tate and finished with 15 of 19 completions for 172 yards and 2 TDs, unfortunately he also threw 2 interceptions and fumbled a pass to Jon Cornish that saw TO recovering the ball.

It wasn't only Tony who was hoping to spark his game as Rickie Ray had something to prove to the fans. He did so in regular RR fashion, throwing for a total of 407 yards and 2 TDs. But it was a crucial completion to Andre'Durie, setting up Noel Prefontaine for the game winning FG with no time left on the clock. It was Scott Milanovich's first CFL win as a head coach - Rock on Scott. The Argos offence came to the fore with 518 yards total compared to 257 for Calgary and on the ground, the Argos also outscored the Stamps with 118 running yards as opposed to only 57 for Calgary. Though it was a close game the Argos got the win with a 39 to 36 final score.

One of the highlights for Calgary was a spectacular run by Larry Taylor after a missed Prefontaine FG. Taylor took the ball deep in the Stamps end zone and sprinted 125 yards for a Calgary TD. Eric Fraser also had a great 61-yard interception return for a Calgary TD.

The final game this week will see the Riders at home to greet the Edmonton Eskimos. Hope the Rider fans show the rest of the league what team support is all about. Game time is 4pm, PST on TSN.

ROCK ON RIDERS! GO, GUYS, GO!

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Attendance in BC and Toronto are dwindling. They need to get more kids out (and families). Tickets should be free for anyone under 14-ish (in those markets). Make it reasonable for parents to bring families and help grow the future fan base.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Maybe the Rider game plan was to try out the offence last week and the defence this week at home - whatever it was the latter certainly ruled the field in the Eskimo vs Rider game yesterday, for both teams as it turned out.

It was until 2:12 of the 4th Q that fans in Mosaic had a good reason to leap from their seats wildly cheering as Kory Sheets exploded for a 34 catch and run that he took right into the Eskimo end zone. Until that moment, it was a defensive slug-fest all the way. The Riders took top spot in the sack standings with 6 on the night. The Esks were no slouch in that department either, getting to Darian 4 times for a combined 10 sacks on the night - a great night for Food Banks.

Until Kory made his run, the score for most of the night was 7 - 1 for Sask. The Riders got on the board first with a 32-yard FG by Chris Milo who also kicked 2 56-yard punts and finished the game with an easy 17 yard FG to seal the deal. The Esks only point of the night came on a conceded single.

The Riders weren't quite ready to call it a night though. Craig Butler intercepted a Steven Jyles pass to put the Riders in FG range then Weston added another 8 yards to ensure the kick was good and the Riders went on the win the game 17 to 1.

The record-breaking crowd at Mosaic gave both Sheets and Butler standing Os then did the same for the entire team as the final seconds wound down on the clock.

If there were any questions about how our defence would respond this year, they are quickly being answered with the outstanding play of Odell Willis - a huge gain for the team this year.

Though there was little offence in the game, Darian managed to find Dressler, Bagg, Getzlaf and Harper for catches while Kory and Weston handled the ground game.

Steven Jyles was pulled in favor of Kerry Joseph on the Esks 6th possession of the game but faired no better than the team's starter. Jyles returned for the 3rd Q but was injured late in the 4th and Joseph got the call. One bright note on the night for the Esks was the defensive play JC Skerritt who was responsible for at least 2 of the Esks QB sacks.

ROCK ON RIDERS! WAY TO GO TEAM!

Attendance in BC and Toronto are dwindling. They need to get more kids out (and families). Tickets should be free for anyone under 14-ish (in those markets). Make it reasonable for parents to bring families and help grow the future fan base.

Well, Kres...........once again it was Rider fans who put all others in the league to shame as they filled Mosaic to capacity for the Riders first home game.

17-1 Babycakes!

You betcha, petros........................2 in a row but we can't get cocky. The offence was hardly in evidence last night but have to say the defence was absolutely outstanding!!!

By the by, I sure like that new Big Screen in Mosaic!

[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

You betcha, petros........................2 in a row but we can't get cocky. The offence was hardly in evidence last night but have to say the defence was absolutely outstanding!!!

By the by, I sure like that new Big Screen in Mosaic!

Yup there were deficiencies but it was a good win. I like that Sheets guy, Cates was okay but this guy has more.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Yup there were deficiencies but it was a good win. I like that Sheets guy, Cates was okay but this guy has more.
[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]

I first noticed Kory during the pre-season games when his speed and agility caught my attention. I also like the way he has of straight-arming defenders to give himself the extra yards. I believe he's a keeper especially if he is able to learn a few good blocks along the way when needed. I liked Wes too but Kory has something a bit extra to bring to the Riders.

So far, I am really pleasantly surprised with our new head coach Cory Chamblin. After the debacle of the Marshall melt down, I was truly wondering where the Riders would find a coach that could meld the team into the winners we know they can be. It's only 2 games but my hopes are actually rising.

ROCK ON RIDERVILLE!