Don Cherry on Sidney Crosby Whining

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Crosby has always had the reputation of being a bit of a whiner.

That said, people like to hate on any player with extraordinary talent, in Cherry's NHL you're not supposed to be talented, you're supposed to hit people and play with life-threatening injuries.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Bobby Orr was hated too. Any player at the level is hated for any reason or even no reason.

I agree with Cherry, Crosby is a whiner.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
God, Wayne Gretsky was said to be a whiner. Sidney Crosby is called a whiner. Bobby Orr was called a whiner. All the "superstars got the odd little extra spear over and above what was normal and they complained about it. This apparently made them whiners. I don't remember anybody ever calling Gordie Howe a Whiner because anyone who took physical liberties with Howe stood a dood chance if getting a mouthful of his elbow, or his stick

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I remember gretzky being called a whiner too, and mario lemieux as well, as there was so much clutching and grabbing back then that they complained to the officials, as I guess they thought that could bring attention to the situation.

Do we assume that everytime crosby talks to the officials he is whining, I don't think so, he is the captain and can question different aspects of the game, eg. where a faceoff should be taken etc.
I notice other captains and alternates doing the same, and surprisingly the other day apparantly crosby did admit that when he was new in the league he did whine.

But as was stated, all of these players mentioned are the best players on their teams, because if hortichuk and others like him whined, the official would tell him to f**k off.