Canadian Erin Mielzynski wins FIS Cup World Slalom Race

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
41 years after Betsy Clifford last won a cup in 1971, the drought has been broken.

"Erin Mielzynski, a former world championship level water skier, made alpine skiing history Sunday by becoming the first Canadian woman since Betsy Clifford in 1971 to win an FIS World Cup slalom race.

The 21-year-old from Guelph, Ont., finished with a two-run, combined time of one minute, 53.59 seconds at the event in Ofterschwang, Germany. She had the fifth fastest time in the first run, a 56.47 clocking and found her speed at the bottom of her second run to secure the win.

"It's been my dream since I was little. It's a little slice of heaven right now," Mielzynski said on a conference call. "I don't want the day to end, it's surreal."

More at:

Read more: Mielzynski ends 41-year winless streak for Canadian women

Well done, Erin! :canada:

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Kathy Kreiner won the Olympic Gold in the Slalom in 1976 Olympics, during the heyday of Canadian Skiing with the powerful men's Downhill team. But congrats to Erin.. its promising for a great career a her age. ;)

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Kathy Kreiner won the Olympic Gold in the Slalom in 1976 Olympics, during the heyday of Canadian Skiing with the powerful men's Downhill team. But congrats to Erin.. its promising for a great career a her age. ;)

True, but this is the FIS Cup not the Olympics, we are talking about right now and Betsy was the last person to win it. :smile: