Rory Mcllroy - #1 Ranked Golfer in the World

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
At just 22 years of age, Rory just became the second youngest player in the history of the sport to become the number 1 ranked player in the world. He finished the Honda Classic today at -12, 2 points ahead of Woods and Gillis.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I'm so glad for him, great young golfer, hope he stays there for awhile, at the top.

The final round was really exciting, talloola. Woods started the day 9 strokes behind Rory but found his metal and began a great drive. He played the front nine in four which put him within a shot off the lead with a birdie/eagle finish. Tiger ended the day tied for second, closing with a 62 - his lowest final round in 17 years on the PGA tour.

Great to see Rory doing so well as he is an excellent ambassador for the sport - low-key, self-effacing and not above laughing at himself. Well done Rory.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The final round was really exciting, talloola. Woods started the day 9 strokes behind Rory but found his metal and began a great drive. He played the front nine in four which put him within a shot off the lead with a birdie/eagle finish. Tiger ended the day tied for second, closing with a 62 - his lowest final round in 17 years on the PGA tour.

Great to see Rory doing so well as he is an excellent ambassador for the sport - low-key, self-effacing and not above laughing at himself. Well done Rory.

Yes, it was very exciting, for both of them, and I was very impressed with the coolness of rory as
he finished the round, knowing tiger was just two behind, even got another birdie, and also a
great up and down out of the sand to keep that 2 shot lead, and get the win.

impressive

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It was nice to see Tiger come to life. I hope he too can carry on like that. Would love to see those two battle it out for some majors.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
It was nice to see Tiger come to life. I hope he too can carry on like that. Would love to see those two battle it out for some majors.

For sure, Kreskin........it really added to the tension and excitement when he kept making shot after shot as he climbed the leader board. Well done by Tiger and I also hope this is just the beginning of some great meetings between he and Rory.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Woods is will be 36 this year.. which even in Golf is a time when careers wind down. But i still see some signs of the old brilliance.. just not the consistency. I'm hoping for one last steady push on his part to match or beat Jack Nicklaus' record of 18 Majors (Woods has 14).. but that seems remote at this point. Mcllroy just seems very steady for his age, but really not brilliant.. i doubt he'll have a Tiger or Nicklaus like career.. but it could be good grudge match for the next year or two with Woods

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Woods is will be 36 this year.. which even in Golf is a time when careers wind down. But i still see some signs of the old brilliance.. just not the consistency. I'm hoping for one last steady push on his part to match or beat Jack Nicklaus' record of 18 Majors (Woods has 14).. but that seems remote at this point. Mcllroy just seems very steady for his age, but really not brilliant.. i doubt he'll have a Tiger or Nicklaus like career.. but it could be good grudge match for the next year or two with Woods

Well, coldstream, being that he is only 22 years old, I will reserve judgement on whether his career will match or break Tiger or Jack's. I am just happy for the sport to see such a wonderful young man emerge on the scene.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Well, coldstream, being that he is only 22 years old, I will reserve judgement on whether his career will match or break Tiger or Jack's. I am just happy for the sport to see such a wonderful young man emerge on the scene.

Yeah fair enough.. i don't want to handicap him at this stage. I'd just note that i see a great deal of excellence and strong work ethic with his game. What i saw with Nicklaus and Woods, though, was an intensity and obsession with perfection that made them the generational icons that they were. They just oozed it. My guess is Rory will pick up a handful of majors over the next decade, which in this era is a Hall of Fame career... if it turns out he matches Nicklaus/Woods.. well i'll eat my words. :)

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Yeah fair enough.. i don't want to handicap him at this stage. I'd just note that i see a great deal of excellence and strong work ethic with his game. What i saw with Nicklaus and Woods, though, was an intensity and obsession with perfection that made them the generational icons that they were. They just oozed it. My guess is Rory will pick up a handful of majors over the next decade, which in this era is a Hall of Fame career... if it turns out he matches Nicklaus/Woods.. well i'll eat my words. :)

all athletes have their own type of intensity and focus. McIlroy is irish and carries with him a personality
which represents his culture and also generation, and I notice in the young american/canadian golfers
a more casual and relaxed way of handling themselves, and I see the young generations as more confident
and less fearful, and raring to tackle anything in front of them.

Also, I see hundreds of top golfers now, compared to a handful many years ago, even in tigers time, there were many fewer than now.

These new golfers can hit the ball a country mile, (accurately), and they can all thank tiger for the
big surge forward, as so many kids took up the game because of him, and of course 'everything' gets better
with time, as we see in all sports.

At such a young age, McIlroy has a maturity beyond his years, but underneath is the heart of a tiger, and
that is apparent when we watch him.
I don't want to see another personality just like tiger, I like McIlroy's style, a little more relaxing
to watch, his swing is effortless and relaxed, and I hope he doesn't go through a thousand golf swing
changes like tiger did, that seemed quite over the top to me, and each time he did it, he took a big
step backward, then had to start over again, and all the coaching changes as well, I think there was far
too much input into tiger's game from outside.
Jack Nicklaus had one coach thru all of his career, and he also had a great mind
for the game, and focused like no other, he was tough with steady nerves, and
approached each tournament with a definent plan, and never seemed to be swayed
from his plan, and he was not as emotional as tiger.

Last edited:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Rory started the day at the WGC Cadillac Championship several strokes behind the leader but with birdie after birdie and an eagle on his last hole has now climbed to just two strokes behind the leader. Tiger is also having a good day and is now two strokes behind Rory.

GO, RORY, GO!

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Rory started the day at the WGC Cadillac Championship several strokes behind the leader but with birdie after birdie and an eagle on his last hole has now climbed to just two strokes behind the leader. Tiger is also having a good day and is now two strokes behind Rory.

GO, RORY, GO!

looks like watson and bradley will be the final twosome tomorrow.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Bubba Watson has the best name in golf. Plus he can pound it a mile. You have to pound it to be called Bubba.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Bubba Watson has the best name in golf. Plus he can pound it a mile. You have to pound it to be called Bubba.

yeah I hate that name, but I now have lots of respect for him. I told my daughter some time ago that no one
named 'Bubba' should be allowed on the pga tour, but I take it back. He's great.
Could that name be short for something else. lets see, bubbalucious, bubbabubbadingdong.?????

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
yeah I hate that name, but I now have lots of respect for him. I told my daughter some time ago that no one
named 'Bubba' should be allowed on the pga tour, but I take it back. He's great.
Could that name be short for something else. lets see, bubbalucious, bubbabubbadingdong.?????
I don't know what it stands for.

Ever watched his footwork when he drives the ball? He steps into it like Happy Gilmour. Almost comes out of his shoes. But he manages to control the rest of his body. It's amazing.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I don't know what it stands for.

Ever watched his footwork when he drives the ball? He steps into it like Happy Gilmour. Almost comes out of his shoes. But he manages to control the rest of his body. It's amazing.

yes I did notice it today, as they pointed it out as well, but he will save his knee on that leg, as it
doesn't get twisted like the rest of the golfers.

that is what happened to my knee from golfing, then I tried to do what he does, and it helped, now
I have no knee pain at all.

On the finish of the swing that left knee really gets locked while the body twists around.
Jack Niklaus suggested allowing that foot to release if you can, he said he does it now because he
is older, and his body isn't as flexible as it use to be.

So, I don't know what harm it can do to let the foot come around too, well, I guess he's proving
that it is OK, who would argue with him, I sure won't.

Maybe if Tiger had done that, he wouldn't have had so much trouble with his knee, although I
don't know which knee was the bad one.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I haven't watched the golf this week, just noticed him in previous events. Makes sense that it really takes the pressure of the knee.

Tiger had problem with the middle leg moving too much. Could be chronic hip problems in his future. ;)

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I haven't watched the golf this week, just noticed him in previous events. Makes sense that it really takes the pressure of the knee.

Tiger had problem with the middle leg moving too much. Could be chronic hip problems in his future. ;)

I have allready gone to bed, so I didn't see what I just read. lol

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
It's Bradley, Watson and Rose at the moment but the lead is changing back and forth quickly. Watson put one in canal. 8O :smile: and is coming off 3 bogeys in a row.

Tiger can't putt to save his life today but Rory is hanging in there though I doubt he will be able to make up the deficit in time to catch the leaders, he's birdie the last two holes to be 4 off the lead right now.

His real name is Gerry.........go figure! Why anyone would go by Bubba when he has a perfectly respectable first name is way beyond me.

Oh me of little faith. Rory is now sitting just one shot back of the leaders. Tiger withdrew from the course with a left leg injury. Watson is now one shot behind Rory. The leader board now looks like this: Rose, McIlroy, Bradley and Watson. Bradley bogied his last hole.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
It's Bradley, Watson and Rose at the moment but the lead is changing back and forth quickly. Watson put one in canal. 8O :smile: and is coming off 3 bogeys in a row.

Tiger can't putt to save his life today but Rory is hanging in there though I doubt he will be able to make up the deficit in time to catch the leaders, he's birdie the last two holes to be 4 off the lead right now.

His real name is Gerry.........go figure! Why anyone would go by Bubba when he has a perfectly respectable first name is way beyond me.

Oh me of little faith. Rory is now sitting just one shot back of the leaders. Tiger withdrew from the course with a left leg injury. Watson is now one shot behind Rory. The leader board now looks like this: Rose, McIlroy, Bradley and Watson. Bradley bogied his last hole.

just watched the end of it all at my daughters place, justin rose won it, had to wait till bubba was finished
though, as he had a put to tie, but didn't quite do it.

good for justin, I like him

normally I would agree with you mowich, but here and now, I think I will go with bubba, even though its
a ridiculous name.

its just amazing how many times we had to watch tiger driving out of the course, just ridiculous.