IIHF Tournament 2011

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
End of 2nd period, Canada ahead of the Fins 5 - 1. The kids have been playing well for the first two periods - controlling the puck well, not too many giveaways, solid penalty killing, some great steals and 5 beautiful goals. The Fins were laid back in the first, came on stronger in the 2nd but still having a hard time keeping control of the puck or getting shots on goal - Canada has had 26 SOG compare to 15 for the Finish team.

The game is live on TSN from Edmonton, Alberta. FB and Twitter fans are being asked to sign in to TSN to put a flag of their location on a map of Canada - lots of fans around the world are tuning in.

GO, CANADA, GO. :canada:

In other hockey news, Canada won the first round of the Spengler Cup in Davos today. 7 to 1 over the Vits.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
8 to 1 final for our guys - wonderful game and Mark Vinsentin came through as our goalie - was a little worried about him, his play against the Swedes was sloppy - he wasn't challenged often but came through when he had too and with some pretty saves.
Mark Stone of the Brandon Wheat Kings got himself a well-earned hat-trick - all goals coming from the same spot - the kid is hot, he also managed an assist today. Congrats to Jonathan Huberdeau for his first goal since back from injury. Devante Smith-Pelly was taken out of the game with a leg injury after blocking a puck - if out, he will be missed for his solid hits and goal scoring ability.

Great way to open the tournie guys and many congratulations - you really looked and played like a 'team' today.

Yeah, Canada! GO, GO, GO. :canada:

I hope they actually take the Gold this year. Its been heartbreak the last couple of years.

I hope they have fun, keep playing as a team, stay out of the box as much as they can, skate well and clean and if they win a medal it will be the icing on the cake. Lots of pressure on these young guys and so far they seem to be handling it pretty well. They need to keep their heads up as they have some stiff competition ahead. So far, they have had it pretty easy. They have the talent and all the ability they need so let's hope they can keep on the path and do a great job for Canada.

GO, CANADA, GO! :canada:

Our next game is Wednesday - 4:30PST against the Czech Republic.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The Finnish goalie plays like Luongo.
you're a brat lol

last game luongo played a great game, but had to take the shine off of his performance by letting in the
2nd goal because he wasn't paying attention, looked kind of pathetic.
that made a big difference because the game would have been tied, and canucks could have won, although
they didn't deserve the win.

I didn't watch the junior game today, but could here it from the other room.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Watched the game online on the FirstRow site. Good match!

While Stone got the hat trick, I gave the MVP to Huberdeau = 4 assists, 1 goal. Great puck control and movement.

There was superb passing by 'nucks, great puck control throughout, aggressive forechecks, and great clearing by defenders. I can't remember the last time I saw defenders who could use the wrist shot from the point so well.

My one objection was the decision to use the first line so far into the game. With Canada clearly ahead, why keep them in the game? The coach took a needless risk of injury or disqualification. Use the third and fourth line instead.

Look forward to more of the series ....

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
you're a brat lol

last game luongo played a great game, but had to take the shine off of his performance by letting in the
2nd goal because he wasn't paying attention, looked kind of pathetic.
that made a big difference because the game would have been tied, and canucks could have won, although
they didn't deserve the win.

I didn't watch the junior game today, but could here it from the other room.
ha ha ( hear it,) just saw my grammar error.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Devante Smith-Pelly was taken out of the game with a leg injury after blocking a puck - if out, he will be missed for his solid hits and goal scoring ability.

He's now done for the remainder of the tournament(4-6 weeks, actually). He has a fractured left foot. :(

My one objection was the decision to use the first line so far into the game. With Canada clearly ahead, why keep them in the game? The coach took a needless risk of injury or disqualification. Use the third and fourth line instead.

I'm glad that they didn't do that. To me, that would be an insult to the Finnish team, and the goal of the Canadian team is to ice the best possible team with the players that they have.:)

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Watched the game online on the FirstRow site. Good match!

Look forward to more of the series ....

if I remember correctly (or maybe I don't) doesn't the number of total goals scored come into play when
they are making decisions about the standings, and it can change the placings or decide ties. So, they
don't let up in any game.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
total goals scored

Unfortunately goal differential does matter in international sporting events. This is why there are so many needless run ups in these games. Coach could have at least taken out the 1st line with 5 or 7 minutes left. After all, we do want to see some measure of sportsmanship and we certainly do not want to risk fights or bad blood in these matches.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Unfortunately goal differential does matter in international sporting events. This is why there are so many needless run ups in these games. Coach could have at least taken out the 1st line with 5 or 7 minutes left. After all, we do want to see some measure of sportsmanship and we certainly do not want to risk fights or bad blood in these matches.
they don't care about sportsmanship or anything else but 'winning', and if it takes 50 goals to do it,
they will, perhaps they should take that rule out alltogether.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
I was in a chat room today discussing this issue. Another poster agreed that keeping your first line in was risky in that an injury or a fight could take place thereby resulting in a disqualification. In fact, D Nathan Beaulieu was disqualified late in today's match with only 1 minute to go. I wonder, will he be allowed to play in the next match??

Canadians easily defeated Czech Republic today 5-0. The match wasn't close. Therefore, why keep those tops players on the ice? Makes no sense. Don't worry about what the Russians do in their Group. Just worry about what you do in yours.

As for my Yanks, it was a pathetic performance against Finland. Finns easily won 4-1. Even tho we took more shots on goal, they were puny at best. And unlike Canada's defenders, Yanks D cannot take long shots from the point which open up the center area for attacking forwards. Furthermore, you could readily see they do not utilize the same strategic game planning Canadians used before they stepped on the ice.

-------------

I should have added above, Canada has a great power play and pk. Great to see that type of approach to ice hockey. Junior A, especially at the international level is the most entertaining brand of ice hockey, I think.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I was in a chat room today discussing this issue. Another poster agreed that keeping your first line in was risky in that an injury or a fight could take place thereby resulting in a disqualification. In fact, D Nathan Beaulieu was disqualified late in today's match with only 1 minute to go. I wonder, will he be allowed to play in the next match??

Canadians easily defeated Czech Republic today 5-0. The match wasn't close. Therefore, why keep those tops players on the ice? Makes no sense. Don't worry about what the Russians do in their Group. Just worry about what you do in yours.

As for my Yanks, it was a pathetic performance against Finland. Finns easily won 4-1. Even tho we took more shots on goal, they were puny at best. And unlike Canada's defenders, Yanks D cannot take long shots from the point which open up the center area for attacking forwards. Furthermore, you could readily see they do not utilize the same strategic game planning Canadians used before they stepped on the ice.

-------------

I should have added above, Canada has a great power play and pk. Great to see that type of approach to ice hockey. Junior A, especially at the international level is the most entertaining brand of ice hockey, I think.
this is major junior hockey, jr A is one level down

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Um....They're Canadians. All our players are top players.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Canada is really bad for not running up the score (or has been in the past). We turn off the jets after getting ahead by 5 or 6. Our competitors keep pouring it on and wind up with a higher blowout. If it comes to tiebreakers, we tend to be disfavoured because of this.

The real issue is the tiebreaking rules. Points differential should not be part of it or changed to perhaps take only games against the top 3 or 4 teams or your biggest win and biggest loss removed from the point count.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

John Gibson helped contribute to the Fin's win by taking a needless penalty leaving his guys short-handed when they desperately needed all five guys on the ice. Bad as the loss was, I am sure the US kids will rebound.

Our Canadians had a great game though they took a few too many penalties for my liking - being good on the kill is not the same as having all your guys on the ice. A bit more discipline is in order.

I am really enjoying watching all the teams play - they are so full of energy. Great tournament so far.

We play Denmark tonight.

GO CANADA, GO! :canada:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
John Gibson helped contribute to the Fin's win by taking a needless penalty leaving his guys short-handed when they desperately needed all five guys on the ice. Bad as the loss was, I am sure the US kids will rebound.

Our Canadians had a great game though they took a few too many penalties for my liking - being good on the kill is not the same as having all your guys on the ice. A bit more discipline is in order.

I am really enjoying watching all the teams play - they are so full of energy. Great tournament so far.

We play Denmark tonight.

GO CANADA, GO! :canada:

When a team we've beaten, beats a team we have yet to play we tend to be overconfident. Denmark should be a win for Canada
but you never know. If the Canadian team plays their best they will probably win but it may not be the rout everybody is expecting.
We'll see.....:roll::smile:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The only thing about the denmark/canada game that will be interesting for me is 'jensen', who will be playing for the danes. He is canucks first round draft pick and had a very very good training camp, and next year
he could possibly make the team.
Other than that, the game has nothing to offer, and canada will probably win by ten.