PRESIDENTS CUP 2011, melbourne, australia

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Already looking forward to The Presidents Cup 2011
by Dean Dyer on May 23, 2010

Last November I shared a fantastic golfing experience with a couple of good mates……..seeing Tiger Woods win the Australian Masters at Kingston Heath Golf Course in Melbourne, Australia. The golf was great, Tiger was iconic (and still a role model!), the weather was perfect, the company was easy and the beer was, well beer. Our days in Melbourne could only have been more perfect if we’d managed to squeeze in a couple of rounds of golf ourselves.

Before the weekend was out we agreed that we’d return to Melbourne for the 2011 Presidents Cup, which is being hosted by the Royal Melbourne Golf Club from 14-20 November. This time we would bring our sticks and find time for a couple of rounds of golf…….or more. Our planned trip to the Presidents Cup came up in conversation while playing golf with one of my travel mates yesterday, and we agreed that we should find out when tickets go on sale so we don’t miss out. A bit premature possibly, given that the tournament is still 18 months away, but you can never be too prepared!

Anyway, while looking for information about the tournament and ticket sales, I came across the official Presidents Cup website, hosted by PGATOUR.com. The site has a heap of great information, including past results, video highlights and of course information about the 2011 Presidents Cup.

The website also shows the current qualification standings for the US and International Teams. Ten members of the 2011 U.S. Team and International Team are selected based on official earnings from the 2009 Wyndham Championship through the 2011 PGA Championship (with money earned in 2011 counting as double). The current standings are shown below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
just watched the draw for the first pairings for tomorrow morning

should be an exciting time, no canadians this time, maybe next time
adam hadwin will be up there, and become a pick, we need a new guy,
and he seems to be the best at the moment for making the pga and
climbing the list of the world golf rankings.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I must say Melbourne has a crap load of sporting events through the year...... Tennis, F1 Racing, Aussie Football, Bike Racing, Horse Racing, Cricket, Rugby, Golf.... and I imagine I'm missing a dozen other events.

Too bad I was never much of a sports fan..... but I can still see a hockey game or go skating if I want to, so it's not all bad :p

Anywho, yeah.... the golf thing is all over the news, though nobody I talk to here seems to care..... yet while nobody seems to care, the news seems to cover every second of Tiger Woods & what he does, almost right down to when he wipes his arse.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
i'm looking forward to the tournament and the beautiful weather down under, would love to be there
watching live.

the atmosphere will be lively and competetive, and both sides are full of great players.

captain for the international team - greg norman

captain for the u.s.a. - fred couples

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
guess i'll finish this tournament off as well, lol

it was fantastic, love the setting and the 'royal melbourne' course is awsome.

the final score, u.s.a. 19, internationals 15, hoped for the internationals but cheered for
all of the individuals.

back in the u.s. next time.

as they say 'down under', cheers mate

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
guess i'll finish this tournament off as well, lol

it was fantastic, love the setting and the 'royal melbourne' course is awsome.

the final score, u.s.a. 19, internationals 15, hoped for the internationals but cheered for
all of the individuals.

back in the u.s. next time.

as they say 'down under', cheers mate

They sure had their share of really bad weather. I kept thinking they could catch pneumonia today with all the rain they had and a couple of days ago the wind was ferocious and played all kinds of havoc with the tee shots. It actually made for some interesting shots though especially those tricky sand trap ones.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
They sure had their share of really bad weather. I kept thinking they could catch pneumonia today with all the rain they had and a couple of days ago the wind was ferocious and played all kinds of havoc with the tee shots. It actually made for some interesting shots though especially those tricky sand trap ones.

weather there was nice today, although still windy. the sportsmanship is phenomenal, and norman and
couples were the best captains, so happy and congenial with everyone on both sides all thru the tournament.
all the players like each other, and it showed.

tiger played very well this tournament, not that many wins, but his ball striking was awsome, just the
putting wasn't there till today.
couples got lots of criticism for picking him, but I think it was a wise choice, and seemed to help tiger
find a reason to improve and get his game back, all of his dumb stuff is in the past now, everyone must
move on, as i'm sure his ex wife has. life goes on.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
weather there was nice today, although still windy. the sportsmanship is phenomenal, and norman and
couples were the best captains, so happy and congenial with everyone on both sides all thru the tournament.
all the players like each other, and it showed.

tiger played very well this tournament, not that many wins, but his ball striking was awsome, just the
putting wasn't there till today.
couples got lots of criticism for picking him, but I think it was a wise choice, and seemed to help tiger
find a reason to improve and get his game back, all of his dumb stuff is in the past now, everyone must
move on, as i'm sure his ex wife has. life goes on.

Sorry talloola, my days meld together sometimes .. must have been yesterday when I was watching that it rained so hard. Yeah, I watch mainly because of Tiger - my Mum was a big fan of Tigers and I know she is still keeping track. :smile:

What ever happened to Rory McElroy? was that his last name? The young Irish lad.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Sorry talloola, my days meld together sometimes .. must have been yesterday when I was watching that it rained so hard. Yeah, I watch mainly because of Tiger - my Mum was a big fan of Tigers and I know she is still keeping track. :smile:

What ever happened to Rory McElroy? was that his last name? The young Irish lad.

the presidents' cup is the u.s. and the internationals (excluding europe), europe is part of the
ryder cup tournament against the u.s.
the two tournaments allows 'all' of the other players who are not u.s to be part
of a tournament against the u.s. every two years, alternating each other.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
the presidents' cup is the u.s. and the internationals (excluding europe), europe is part of the
ryder cup tournament against the u.s.
the two tournaments allows 'all' of the other players who are not u.s to be part
of a tournament against the u.s. every two years, alternating each other.

Gotcha. :smile: Does that explain why Rory isn't there?