Eyes of the Golfing World on Young Rory McLLroy

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
There is something really appealing about young Rory. He has the swagger but he also has a wonderful genuine quality about him. That he combines this with an amazing natural ability to play golf is a gift to the world of golf. The Royal St. Georges Open Championship begins tomorrow.

The course is notorious for its wind that can easily top 40 to 50 mph in addition to its reputation for severe rain storms. It is one of the more entertaining tournaments in terms of the trouble that players can get into due to these weather conditions.

I wish Rory a fair wind.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
They are expecting big winds tomorrow. Luke Donald is number one in the world right now, and of course
mcIlroy right off the big win at the u.s. open is considered a favourite as well.

there are so many real good golfers right now. The europeans have that experience on these courses, and
especially in severe conditions, they have been playing them all of their lives, so I would think they
would be favoured to win in the wind and rain, but who knows, last year louis oostaivin (sp.wrong),
from south africa won the open, and no one is even talking about him.

i'm hoping for one of the young guys, and not one of the good ole boys, eg. mikkelson etc.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
They are expecting big winds tomorrow. Luke Donald is number one in the world right now, and of course
mcIlroy right off the big win at the u.s. open is considered a favourite as well.

there are so many real good golfers right now. The europeans have that experience on these courses, and
especially in severe conditions, they have been playing them all of their lives, so I would think they
would be favoured to win in the wind and rain, but who knows, last year louis oostaivin (sp.wrong),
from south africa won the open, and no one is even talking about him.

i'm hoping for one of the young guys, and not one of the good ole boys, eg. mikkelson etc.

I remember the win by Louis Oosthuizen last year - watched an interview on TSN with him last night. Watching the first round right now. The wind doesn't look too bad at the moment but the skies are very grey and overcast. I agree about one of the young guys winning but I do have a soft for Tom Watson.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I remember the win by Louis Oosthuizen last year - watched an interview on TSN with him last night. Watching the first round right now. The wind doesn't look too bad at the moment but the skies are very grey and overcast. I agree about one of the young guys winning but I do have a soft for Tom Watson.

i'd love to see tom watson win, I don't consider him an ole boy, he is a legend. yes, the wind has
dissapeared, course very calm right now, and that is a bit of an issue with me concerning golf, because
the weather can decide too many things, and the luck is in the draw, especially in 'The Open', and if
there is no wind at all, those courses , 'for them' are quite easy, but of course no one can control any
of that, so be it.

having had one english and one irish parent, I always cheer for one of 'those' guys, at the open, or even in the
u.s. for that matter. So, with mcIlroy, donald, harrington, mcDowall, westwood and others, doing so well in the world right now,(well, paddy has fallen off a bit, but one never knows), I have
good chances for victory.

WHOEVER!

As long it is not the slobbering over the serial adulterer, Tiger Woods.

it has taken the media far too long to stop talking about him all the time, and there are so many great
young golfers, and others out there right now, there is no need to dwell on him, he is just another
golfer who has faded away, but he will be back, and the media will again fall all over themselves
slobbering, and wondering if he will rise to the top again, it has become so very tiring.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
WHOEVER!

As long it is not the slobbering over the serial adulterer, Tiger Woods.

You know, YJ............... I sometimes wonder why you bother to post in a thread where you so obviously have little or no interest.

i'd love to see tom watson win, I don't consider him an ole boy, he is a legend. yes, the wind has
dissapeared, course very calm right now, and that is a bit of an issue with me concerning golf, because
the weather can decide too many things, and the luck is in the draw, especially in 'The Open', and if
there is no wind at all, those courses , 'for them' are quite easy, but of course no one can control any
of that, so be it.

having had one english and one irish parent, I always cheer for one of 'those' guys, at the open, or even in the
u.s. for that matter. So, with mcIlroy, donald, harrington, mcDowall, westwood and others, doing so well in the world right now,(well, paddy has fallen off a bit, but one never knows), I have
good chances for victory.

it has taken the media far too long to stop talking about him all the time, and there are so many great
young golfers, and others out there right now, there is no need to dwell on him, he is just another
golfer who has faded away, but he will be back, and the media will again fall all over themselves
slobbering, and wondering if he will rise to the top again, it has become so very tiring.

Had to go to town today so I missed most of the Open............... will have to check TSN tonight and see the highlights. Wish we could go back to the days when sports announcers simply told up what was happening during whatever type of sport it was that we were interested in, leaving all the commentary aside. Truly, I have no interest in anyone's personal life - not my business. So why the media of today thinks it is any of there's is beyond me. If someone can't maintain a relationship but can still play their sport well - that is all I am interested in hearing about.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
You know, YJ............... I sometimes wonder why you bother to post in a thread where you so obviously have little or no interest.

Had to go to town today so I missed most of the Open............... will have to check TSN tonight and see the highlights. Wish we could go back to the days when sports announcers simply told up what was happening during whatever type of sport it was that we were interested in, leaving all the commentary aside. Truly, I have no interest in anyone's personal life - not my business. So why the media of today thinks it is any of there's is beyond me. If someone can't maintain a relationship but can still play their sport well - that is all I am interested in hearing about.

me too

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Was that a 'me too' to both comments or just yours, talloola. :smile: Okay, so we can catch up on the news of today and compare notes tomorrow.

me too that i'm not interested in the players personal lives, just their sport.

but that stupid media will shove everything the players do down our throats till we gag.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Rory got off to a bit of rough start yesterday, but has come back today with two birdies to go -1 on the day so far. The weather today is windy but the sun is shining and players hope to up their scores as things will change quickly tomorrow with rain being called for in the forecast.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Darren Clarke is sure hanging in there, and if he had of sunk many of those birdie putts today,
he would have put some daylight between he and the rest of the field, but he didn't, so he is
still hanging on to the lead.
Weather was nasty this morning, but not so bad now, and sure makes it easier for the players who
are out there now.
Not that much space between leader and many below him, so tomorrow if the weather is calm and
good golf is played, there are many of them who could get 'hot' and win, its up for grabs.