Is the world ending? Not really.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
How do you think people would react if the world was going to end? Would there be chaos in the streets? Rampant fornication? Or would be people be stoic? I've always thought how we imagine people reacting to the end of the world says a lot about humanity. We normally imagine the chaos and rampant fornication.

I think I'd settle with a good song.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I guess.. Yea, I guess I would try and do all the little 'fun things' I've always enjoyed.. but cram it into one day - assuming we knew ahead of time that the world was going to end.

It would probably be best if we were wiped out in some sort of super nova. Quick and easy.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
i kinda like the rampant fornication thing, myself, but I'm more likely to sit down with my wife, a good book, and a glass of single malt.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
i kinda like the rampant fornication thing, myself, but I'm more likely to sit down with my wife, a good book, and a glass of single malt.

I'm pretty sure the rampant fornication would just be a routine day anyway.

Last edited:

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think the rampant fornication would be a bit anti-climatic. Sex is kinda like ice cream. It's something you want right then and there and afterwards you're like, damn that was good, but it's not lasting. It's just gratification. That's why I'd go with the song. Raises your spirits, everybody can sing along and you get a good communal vibe. Then again, depending on the scale of the rampant fornication, you might get a good communal vibe too.

What book? I don't think I could answer that myself. Tough choice there.

One of my favourite books is Oku no Hosomichi by the Haiku poet Matsuo Basho. That might be something worth going out on.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
What do they mean by world I wonder? The end of their world might be a good thing for the rest of us. Is their something that can be done to help them realize their dream? And the get the hell off the planet.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
mentalfloss were you too blind or too lazy to realize/know that there was a thread about the end times just a few days ago?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
mentalfloss were you too blind or too lazy to realize/know that there was a thread about the end times just a few days ago?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I once hear the when the calendar hit the year one thousand many people sat of roof tops
waiting for Christ to return, some sold their property and prepared for the end. How many
times have we heard this crap. The world is not ending, the world is going through some
changes, but there have always been environmental changes. The fundamentalists from
all religions keep this at the front of everyday living, just like the Bush Administration used
to raise and lower the terrorist rating until people said Oh well and went on with their day.
The other shock is that Christ isn't coming back either so all those Christians for Zion will
be just as dead as the rest of us, if they try to speed up the second coming.