When does life begin?

When does life begin?

• At conception.

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • At birth.

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Whenever the body politic dictates by law.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other answer.

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Life begins before conception. Only life can create new life. If you want to live forever have healthy kids.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Are you so sure it starts at conception? An egg sits in a woman's body, waiting to be fertilized and then to grow into a child. If the egg is dead, fertilization doesn't do a thing. I think it begins with the egg. People say to women that if they changed their lives they would not have their children. Well - I think they would. Depending on how long between "fertilizers", the woman will have the same child, fertilized with different ingredients so to speak.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Are you so sure it starts at conception? An egg sits in a woman's body, waiting to be fertilized and then to grow into a child. If the egg is dead, fertilization doesn't do a thing. I think it begins with the egg. People say to women that if they changed their lives they would not have their children. Well - I think they would. Depending on how long between "fertilizers", the woman will have the same child, fertilized with different ingredients so to speak.

The egg on it's own can not grow into a child. Anymore than the sperm on it's own. Both are needed to create a new life.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
The egg on it's own can not grow into a child. Anymore than the sperm on it's own. Both are needed to create a new life.
Exactly. But it still begins with a live egg that needs fertilizer. ;-)

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Geez, this debate again?

Life - The property or quality that distinguishes living organisms from dead organisms and inanimate matter, manifested in functions such as metabolism, growth, reproduction, and response to stimuli or adaptation to the environment originating from within the organism.
life - definition of life by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

When it comes to a Life that qualifies for Human Rights, then you can choose two of the above answers:

Birth or Whenever the body politic dictates by law

Since both answers are the same, there's your answer..... and considering when it comes to Life relating to Human Rights qualifications, which are set and dictated by the government and law, then the answer is Whenever the body politic dictates by law - Since they dictate both human rights and laws in relation, and their answer is "Birth" which I also agree with.... once again, that's your answer.

Game Over.

You all can argue and debate what your emotions or religion tells you when "Life" starts in regards to all of the above, but it'll all be a waste of time and won't change the reality that the life, when it is towards qualifying for human rights, begins as conception.

Beyond that, a fetus is equivalent to a worm and thus, gets the same level of rights, as it should be.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Ditto....anything before that is dead...but has the potential for life.

an egg and also sperm are very much alive, so the word
dead does not apply in their case, even though they have
to be joined to develope and create an embryo.

Life begins with an egg and sperm joining, and continues with the
development of an embryo, and eventually a fetus growing
into a full term baby.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Geez, this debate again?

life - definition of life by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

When it comes to a Life that qualifies for Human Rights, then you can choose two of the above answers:

Birth or Whenever the body politic dictates by law

Since both answers are the same, there's your answer..... and considering when it comes to Life relating to Human Rights qualifications, which are set and dictated by the government and law, then the answer is Whenever the body politic dictates by law - Since they dictate both human rights and laws in relation, and their answer is "Birth" which I also agree with.... once again, that's your answer.

Game Over.

You all can argue and debate what your emotions or religion tells you when "Life" starts in regards to all of the above, but it'll all be a waste of time and won't change the reality that the life, when it is towards qualifying for human rights, begins as conception.

Beyond that, a fetus is equivalent to a worm and thus, gets the same level of rights, as it should be.

Do you have kids Prax?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Do you have kids Prax?

What do you care if I have children or not, and exactly how does having children or not disqualify or qualify my own opinion and argument over or under anyone else's?

Answer: It doesn't, and your little attempt of logical entrapment of claiming having children or not some how enlightens people into knowing the true answer, simply won't work, because it's simply not true.

And try not to play the game that you weren't heading there, because everybody reading this knows better, otherwise, why would you even bother to ask such an unrelated-to-the-topic question in the first place?

Do you see me coming in here and asking you if you have children?

No, because it's none of my business, much like it's none of your damn business about my personal life, nor does your or my personal life have any relation to the opinions and debates expressed in this debate.

Debate the Post, not the Poster.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Nothing like an abortion thread to bring everyone close. haha.

PRO CHOICE-2010

PRO CHOICE-2010

PRO CHOICE-2010

PRO CHOICE-2010

PRO CHOICE-2010

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Your thoughts.
Within a short period of time after the sperm enters the egg and a genetically unique set of cells is created and starts multiplying.
Or when plants form endosperm and produce fruit.
Or when fungi fragment or a variety of other methods.

Life begins before conception. Only life can create new life. If you want to live forever have healthy kids.

Live asteroids?
Asteroid ice hints at rocky start to life on Earth : Nature News

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario

Indeed. I did not vote in the poll, because it did not have the option I support. That option would be 'we don't know'.

Scientific view is that life is a continuum. Thus both the sperm and egg are alive before conception. Even with death of a human being, his cells can live on forever in a Petri dish.

Arguing as to when life begins is like arguing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. That is a profound question, which we cannot answer. To say that life begins at conception is a religious definition, not a scientific one.

Quite so, VanIsle. Claiming life begins at conception is a religious definition. That is what the Pope and Fundamentalist preachers say, that is not the scientific consensus.

an egg and also sperm are very much alive, so the word
dead does not apply in their case, even though they have
to be joined to develope and create an embryo.

Life begins with an egg and sperm joining, and continues with the
development of an embryo, and eventually a fetus growing
into a full term baby.

Indeed, It would be quite right and proper ot say that embryo or fetus begins at conception. But life begins at conception? That is nonsense.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

A dead egg will not be fertilized...life begins at fertilization.

Indeed. I did not vote in the poll, because it did not have the option I support. That option would be 'we don't know'.

Poll included:

Other answer

I don't know clearly counts as "other answer" considering it's not a listed option...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Speak for yourself, it's very presumptuous to assume that everyone is ignorant. :lol::lol:

Nothing like an abortion thread to bring everyone close. haha.

PRO CHOICE-2010

PRO CHOICE-2010

PRO CHOICE-2010

PRO CHOICE-2010

PRO CHOICE-2010

That is an excellent stance for those who want to sit on the fence.

What do you care if I have children or not, and exactly how does having children or not disqualify or qualify my own opinion and argument over or under anyone else's?

Answer: It doesn't, and your little attempt of logical entrapment of claiming having children or not some how enlightens people into knowing the true answer, simply won't work, because it's simply not true.

And try not to play the game that you weren't heading there, because everybody reading this knows better, otherwise, why would you even bother to ask such an unrelated-to-the-topic question in the first place?

Do you see me coming in here and asking you if you have children?

No, because it's none of my business, much like it's none of your damn business about my personal life, nor does your or my personal life have any relation to the opinions and debates expressed in this debate.

Debate the Post, not the Poster.

Ooooh ooooh touchy touchy.......:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: