Why we are the way we are and what we need to fix.

Siryphas

Mar 15, 2010
Kannapolis
I'm only a young man, this fact never escapes me. But in my short life I've seen more tragic things than many old men might have. Now understand I'm not asking for pity or sympathy, I'm mearly stating this so that you can understand that even though I'm young in age, I've been forced to grow up awhile back.
I've seen that it's people's instinct to be violent, to be angry, and to be cruel. There's the very human urge to be superiour to everyone else, to "Show 'em whose boss" sort of deal. But why? What do we gain in society by being the "boss?" We live in some of the most civilized times and yet war is still waged, religions still fight, and ethnic tensions are extremly high. So this is for people to comment on how they see humanity and their proposed solutions...

Siryphas

Mar 15, 2010
Kannapolis
But isn't it true that sometimes satisfying that certain urge leads to more violence? Isn't it human instinct to 'dominate?' Of course it's not the case with everyone, nothing's the case for everyone. But as far as everyone getting laid more, that sounds like it'd lead to jealousy, rage, rape, and, let's not forget, the spread of disease. (Though I don't mind the idea of getting more tail) ;-)

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
But isn't it true that sometimes satisfying that certain urge leads to more violence? Isn't it human instinct to 'dominate?' Of course it's not the case with everyone, nothing's the case for everyone. But as far as everyone getting laid more, that sounds like it'd lead to jealousy, rage, rape, and, let's not forget, the spread of disease. (Though I don't mind the idea of getting more tail) ;-)
Ohhhhhhh don't cold shower my theory :angryfire:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I'm only a young man, this fact never escapes me. But in my short life I've seen more tragic things than many old men might have. Now understand I'm not asking for pity or sympathy, I'm mearly stating this so that you can understand that even though I'm young in age, I've been forced to grow up awhile back.
I've seen that it's people's instinct to be violent, to be angry, and to be cruel. There's the very human urge to be superiour to everyone else, to "Show 'em whose boss" sort of deal. But why? What do we gain in society by being the "boss?" We live in some of the most civilized times and yet war is still waged, religions still fight, and ethnic tensions are extremly high. So this is for people to comment on how they see humanity and their proposed solutions...
Severe myopia and severely twisted sense of priorities.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I've seen that it's people's instinct to be violent, to be angry, and to be cruel. There's the very human urge to be superiour to everyone else, to "Show 'em whose boss" sort of deal. But why? What do we gain in society by being the "boss?"
We live in some of the most civilized times
and yet war is still waged, religions still fight, and ethnic tensions are extremly high. So this is for people to comment on how they see humanity and their proposed solutions...

I believe that you should reexamine what you think you understand as civilization. A great many others argue, correctly, that we live in very uncivilized times. You have in fact pointed out that war, religion and ethnic tension are still very apparent. I think these times are the apex of human barbarity, possibly never before experienced. What do you understand as civilized?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Oxford's DotEL defines civilisation as "a developed or advanced state of human society." We've made developments in societies. We've also advanced. There are still areas that need work, though. To develop one's viewpoint of humanity on only the barbaric points is imbalanced.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Oxford's DotEL defines civilisation as "a developed or advanced state of human society." We've made developments in societies. We've also advanced. There are still areas that need work, though. To develop one's viewpoint of humanity on only the barbaric points is imbalanced.

Siryphas and AnnaG

Excellent ideas you two are putting up here - I enjoyed reading the topic and wondered what "advanced" state we homosapiens have actually attained.... we have made many wonderful discoveries in science and world knowledge, but have still separations among ourselves as nations, ie: different languages, cultures, religious beliefs, lifestyles, education of the young, world commitment and contribution....and future vision. Even some are comfortable with status quo and have no aspiration to transform into something "better" (whatever that means).

It would seem we have advanced to the point where we must now share and intermingle but in so reaching that stage of development, it necessitates we
cross over into understanding of others and this brings fear and even resentment of others - perhaps leading to war or conquest to attain higher standards or better
methods, but wishing to retain our original selves.

To completely integrate among other members of our world, we would have to change and humans seem to have difficulty in that area of development - as well
as understanding others and giving of ourselves (unless there is some value to be obtained from it).

To put it bluntly - we still kill even those we love - we have a long way to go.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
This subject simultaneously thrills me and sucks the hope out of me. We're such a complex species - capable of the most amazing, unfathomable beauty - no matter what eye is beholding that beauty - whether it's in action or thought...and at the same time, we have within us the ability to commit atrocities the likes of which I'm sure even the denizens of hell shudder to imagine.

It's the human condition and when I let myself get trapped in the contemplation of what makes us the way we are and whether or not there's any hope at all for us, I keep coming back to the realization that all I can do is use the one tool we're given to make the difference in our lives and those whose lives we touch. That tool is choice. Choose wisely; the one who wins at the end isn't the one with the most toys, it's the with the least regrets. IMO

Reactions: Ron in Regina

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
This subject simultaneously thrills me and sucks the hope out of me. We're such a complex species - capable of the most amazing, unfathomable beauty - no matter what eye is beholding that beauty - whether it's in action or thought...and at the same time, we have within us the ability to commit atrocities the likes of which I'm sure even the denizens of hell shudder to imagine.

It's the human condition and when I let myself get trapped in the contemplation of what makes us the way we are and whether or not there's any hope at all for us, I keep coming back to the realization that all I can do is use the one tool we're given to make the difference in our lives and those whose lives we touch. That tool is choice. Choose wisely; the one who wins at the end isn't the one with the most toys, it's the with the least regrets. IMO

You have way too much time on your hands to be thinking that deeply...... come on down to Calgary and I'll give you something else to do.:angel12:

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
You have way too much time on your hands to be thinking that deeply...... come on down to Calgary and I'll give you something else to do.:angel12:

lol I would, but by the time I get there, your wife will have found your post in the quotes thread so I think I'll wait awhile til you're outta the dog house.;-)

Siryphas

Mar 15, 2010
Kannapolis
I'm glad that people actually understand the position we're in as a species. Yes, it does seem that we are afraid of change more than anything. We like routine, we we like stability and security. However, "The only constant is change." It needs to be realized and grasped. Another thing we can't seem to grasp is the fact that even if people are different colours and speak with differnt tounges, they are still in fact Human. To kill a person is the greatest moral sin, and that includes in war. People are so willing to kill rather than negotiate. They figure if they win, they don't have to compromise. But do they ever think of the families? Why not just have our leaders dish it out in a ring? No, they use citizens to murder each other like a sick little game. If we made war hard, maybe they'd quit. We'll go back to sticks and rocks. What's really the use of guns save to kill ourselves? Globalization. That's a word I wish I'd hear more often, the movement to end nationalization and create a global union. You'd think with all of our advancements that'd be an early idea, but apparently not. The world just needs to quit being so racist and opinionated and get the idea, if you want better living conditions, you'll have to tolerate eachother.