Ethics - Morals - Quandaries encountered

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Ethics - Morals - Quandaries encountered -
We all have learned our ethics and morals from a variety of sources - Parents - Experience - Life - Religions - Some are quite ingrained that we can refuse to see - or set compassion to the side -

We have seen in the workplace the preaching and publishing of a companies Ethics and Codes of Behavior - Funny thing is that it does not filter down to managers and employees -

Any experiences you have had or noted well I think this would be a good place to share and JLM needs a new thread.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
When I was In Bosnia - we had a fellow - reformed alcoholic - had not drank in decades - anyway his personal life went to **** - the stress over there was high - As he was my roommate I informed him that he was covered under our medical plan - My boss later that evening came at me upset as hell for telling this person he was entitled to access the plan. He told me it was not my decision to make - I told him that it was not his to deny him of the availability of a plan we paid into - and yes he was found to be legitimate and covered. My boss had a bad habit of deciding who was in favor and who was not according to how his bosses acted towards certain individuals - He had a tendency to speak out loud about firing certain individuals - Great for morale when you are living in a 8 x 20 sea container - A true company man - No wonder he was a Master Corporal for life -

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Dear Goober,
I had a boss who would occasionally tell the truth; he was fired for drinking on the job. He became a successful politician! Confirmation of the old adage, "There's many a slip, twixt the cup and the lip!"
Cheers!
Cousin Spade

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Dear Goober,
I had a boss who would occasionally tell the truth; he was fired for drinking on the job. He became a successful politician! Confirmation of the old adage, "There's many a slip, twixt the cup and the lip!"
Cheers!
Cousin Spade

Brother Spade - I remember when I first joined the Army - Most Snr NCO's in many units were at the Mess drinking by early afternoon - I was one of those fortunate enough that I never had a boss that did that - But knew many who were useless after a certain hour.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
We all have learned our ethics and morals from a variety of sources - Parents - Experience - Life - Religions - Some are quite ingrained that we can refuse to see - or set compassion to the side -

We have seen in the workplace the preaching and publishing of a companies Ethics and Codes of Behavior - Funny thing is that it does not filter down to managers and employees -

Any experiences you have had or noted well I think this would be a good place to share and JLM needs a new thread.

Good topic Goob- there are only about two main comments I can make on it- One is I've learned you have to have two sets of ethics and morals or you will drive yourself crazy- one is the level you set for yourself and the other is the level you are willing to tolerate from others (if I promise to pay someone $100, that's exactly what I plan to pay him, if someone tells me he'll give me $100 and he's gives me $90, depending on circumstances I could say F**K it, good enough, it's not worth losing sleep). I'm not a religious person, but the Golden Rule makes sense to me and I try to keep it in mind.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
When I was In Bosnia - we had a fellow - reformed alcoholic - had not drank in decades - anyway his personal life went to **** - the stress over there was high - As he was my roommate I informed him that he was covered under our medical plan - My boss later that evening came at me upset as hell for telling this person he was entitled to access the plan. He told me it was not my decision to make - I told him that it was not his to deny him of the availability of a plan we paid into - and yes he was found to be legitimate and covered. My boss had a bad habit of deciding who was in favor and who was not according to how his bosses acted towards certain individuals - He had a tendency to speak out loud about firing certain individuals - Great for morale when you are living in a 8 x 20 sea container - A true company man - No wonder he was a Master Corporal for life -

Yep, it's tough to be a boss without being a bit of a sh*t at times, I know - I was one.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
We all read the Stats about accidental deaths - 1 in so many chances of dying this way or that - falls, slips, electrical - etcSo the question isIf you help some along - a little push here and there - does that lower you chances of having that accident occur to you - I am sure some statistician could figure it out -

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Someone asked me if I had gotten an H1N1 shot, since I might have a 'connection'. I pointed out that, since I'm not on any of the priority lists, I did not feel it would be ethical for me to get one, simply because I had a 'connection'.

That's the most recent ethical question I had to face; it was no dilemma, because to me there was no question about what was the right thing to do.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I made life easy for myself by dumping morals and ethics and then setting myself a principle that I adjust according to each situation and I trust my discretion and judgement as to how much to adjust my principle to each issue. Treat people as I wish to be treated is the principle I try to follow. :)
Unfortunately, ATM I can't think of any particular incident where my principle needed application.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Someone asked me if I had gotten an H1N1 shot, since I might have a 'connection'. I pointed out that, since I'm not on any of the priority lists, I did not feel it would be ethical for me to get one, simply because I had a 'connection'.

That's the most recent ethical question I had to face; it was no dilemma, because to me there was no question about what was the right thing to do.

I was notified yesterday that firefighters and first responders were moved to the top of the list and as a volunteer FF, I could get my shot. I look around me and I see others much more in need than I so I said thanks but no thanks. To me, putting others first isn't an ethical thing. It's just the way it is. I can't imagine going to the front of the line just because I can.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

As I've said before, I don't believe in ethics or right and wrong. I believe in what works or doesn't work given your objectives. If you want to have an organization where employees treat people ethically because it is "policy", make a policy and tell them to follow it. If you want people to treat people ethically because it's good for business, surround yourself with like minded people and there is no need for a policy.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Too bad there aren't more like you. There's some real pushy bastards out there and the pushier they are the less credible they are in my books.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Be careful. Joey might turn you into one of his poodles.

Yeah, I have an argument I should take up with him, just have to refind the thread it was on............definitely political so there shouldn't be more than 20 or 30 to go over.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Another bit of Pondering - This one has been bounced around by me for years -

I believe that there are many well educated, highly talented people on this thread and I guess this would fall into the physics side of the house.Is it possible ( theoretically) in the future to have a space vehicle that uses light as a form of propulsion - And if so could this vehicle fly at the speed of light??I am not just asking for the hell of it as I have another question if the answer is Yes.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
In BC today, everyone was eligible for the H1N1 shot. My husband and I headed down to the school around 8:30 as the shots were to begin at 9:00 A.M. Our decision was that if the line up was huge, we would just come home again. It was not all that big and we had our shot (including the seasonal flu shot) by about 9:15 this morning. So far we are both fine (nearly 12 hours later and I worked my shift tonight as well) and not even our arms are sore. By the morning we might be singing a different song. It does say that some people get a slight fever and some aches and pains. Some people even become quite ill. Our son and his son felt fine for the first night but by the next day they had a few hours of feeling quite un-well. Then it just went away. I'm due to work late morning so I'll just hope that I can make it there.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
In BC today, everyone was eligible for the H1N1 shot. My husband and I headed down to the school around 8:30 as the shots were to begin at 9:00 A.M. Our decision was that if the line up was huge, we would just come home again. It was not all that big and we had our shot (including the seasonal flu shot) by about 9:15 this morning. So far we are both fine (nearly 12 hours later and I worked my shift tonight as well) and not even our arms are sore. By the morning we might be singing a different song. It does say that some people get a slight fever and some aches and pains. Some people even become quite ill. Our son and his son felt fine for the first night but by the next day they had a few hours of feeling quite un-well. Then it just went away. I'm due to work late morning so I'll just hope that I can make it there.
VII cannot take the flu shot due to reactions - severe -why can they not make vaccines for people like myself - I am sure the number of people that have reactions is high.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Another bit of Pondering - This one has been bounced around by me for years -

I believe that there are many well educated, highly talented people on this thread and I guess this would fall into the physics side of the house.Is it possible ( theoretically) in the future to have a space vehicle that uses light as a form of propulsion - And if so could this vehicle fly at the speed of light??I am not just asking for the hell of it as I have another question if the answer is Yes.

Theoretically possible? I think so, but there is just one slight little problem- you'd be breaking the speed limit.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

My wife and 8 year old grand daughter went for theirs Wed. evening and waited about an hour. The wife came through hers without a problem, but the grand daughter had a sore arm and bit of fever and felt generally crappy so missed school Thurs. I may go for mine today or I may not to give the young tads a chance to get theirs. We old codgers don't really need it anyway.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
My wife and 8 year old grand daughter went for theirs Wed. evening and waited about an hour. The wife came through hers without a problem, but the grand daughter had a sore arm and bit of fever and felt generally crappy so missed school Thurs. I may go for mine today or I may not to give the young tads a chance to get theirs. We old codgers don't really need it anyway.
Ya! Why waste good vaccine on a bunch or old farts who are going to die soon anyway.:p