“The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.” Gandhi

bluedog

Electoral Member
Jun 16, 2009
Nebraska
The Initial insight is an enthralling concept. I think Ghandi developed the idea though one step further, in effect saying... Strength was necessary to emotionally initiate forgiveness- immediately- when we "see" the need.

Now. As a Christian I believe it also requires a great strength of Spirit, when Satan tells us that some in the world or in our lives... do not deserve forgiveness. He will deceive us by reminding us of past events to therefore justify unforgiveness.
See. We all struggle and fail at this, we have a carnal mind and ego to "protect".

Christ however calls us to be an example of Him in OUR lives!
He even forgave those who put Him to Death! He did this only by the strength and Grace of His Father in Heaven...
Jesus did not know that He would be raised from the dead- after three days, to offer eternal hope for all of us sinners.

Yet He said "Forgiver them Father, for they know not what they do!":fish:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Maybe we'd all like to forgive and forget but we end up forgetting to forgive. :D

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I don’t agree that forgiveness is a religious (or Christian) concept, bluedog. Forgiveness just makes plane good sense; it is good for one’s peace of mind.

I forgive not for the person who has done me wrong, but for my sake. I don’t care if the person who has done me wrong repents, admits his error or not, it doesn’t matter to me.

When I forgive a person, I put his infraction out of my mind, I am done with him. I don’t have to worry about getting even, plotting revenge etc., I am free to get on with my life. As to the other guy, I couldn’t care less what happens to him. Forgiveness is a purely selfish concept.

Thus when I put Trolls on ignore, that is my way of forgiving them. I am rid of them and I don’t have to think of ways of getting even with them.

But I agree with the premise, it is the strong who forgive. The weak, vengeful mind can never forgive.

bluedog

Electoral Member
Jun 16, 2009
Nebraska
I don’t agree that forgiveness is a religious (or Christian) concept, bluedog. Forgiveness just makes plane good sense; it is good for one’s peace of mind.

I forgive not for the person who has done me wrong, but for my sake. I don’t care if the person who has done me wrong repents, admits his error or not, it doesn’t matter to me.

When I forgive a person, I put his infraction out of my mind, I am done with him. I don’t have to worry about getting even, plotting revenge etc., I am free to get on with my life. As to the other guy, I couldn’t care less what happens to him. Forgiveness is a purely selfish concept.

Thus when I put Trolls on ignore, that is my way of forgiving them. I am rid of them and I don’t have to think of ways of getting even with them.

But I agree with the premise, it is the strong who forgive. The weak, vengeful mind can never forgive.

Hey SirP, that was not only the thinking brought by the development of Positive Psychological Development in the 1800's, actually it was... What Christ was saying! lol!! Unburden your heart of all bitterness it rots the bones... another scripture proven by scientific fact.

Sure the Holy Spirit isn't whispering in your ear? :smile: :fish:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Holy Spirit has nothing to do with forgiveness, bluedog, logic and sound reasoning does. Perhaps in this particular instance, logic and religion come to the same conclusion, but that is not always the case.

bluedog

Electoral Member
Jun 16, 2009
Nebraska
Holy Spirit has nothing to do with forgiveness, bluedog, logic and sound reasoning does. Perhaps in this particular instance, logic and religion come to the same conclusion, but that is not always the case.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

SirP !!!
When did you get your degree in Psychohistory? Thru email courses? I think Cliffy just may have been class valedictorian!

Definition:
Psychohistory, a fictional science in Isaac Asimov's Foundation universe, combines history, sociology, and mathematical statistics to make (nearly) exact predictions of the collective actions of very large groups of people.

Ficticious indeed! :fish:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I know all about psychohistory, bluedog, I am a great fan of Asimov. I have read the Foundation Trilogy (and the other Foundation novels) more than once