The trouble with death cults

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
The trouble with death cults is that they require an end time. They must constantly feed their adherents a constant diet of fear and impending horror. The sun is going to get too cold or is it too hot; aliens are coming (quick cut off your nuts), Jesus is coming on the next cloud, sun storms will wipe out our satellites and revert us to the dark age; global warming, global cooling, y2k, etc., oh eeek :roll:

It has been my observation that this notion plagues every fibre of North American culture. Always there is a new threat being peddled. It must be sold as horrendous and earth shattering if it is to compete with the horrific apocalypse the king of death cults (Christianity) has dreamed up or it's inevitable replacement Islam.

The question I ask is who benefits?

I have been watching this quite closely now and always, with every doom and gloom apocalypse someone has dreamt up, there is someone who benefits.

I would say this notion is so invasive in our culture that it is almost required. We have to have a threat, some global crisis or impending catastrophe, for our political and economic system to function. This requirement is so engrained that if we don't have one we manufacture it.

In short, religious or not, it seems to me most North Americans buy into this BS because we are a death cult culture.

It is very telling how angry people become when you dismiss their latest theory on how we're all going to die (typically in very nasty ways); if you tell them to just relax and not to worry. People don't like that. They'll argue that everything is wrong, that we are going to die. Why would they do that? I don't think they really believe it. Certainly few people act on it.

So here is my question: Why do we need an apocalypse? How does it make you feel better and why do you defend it?

Could it be that as a culture founded by death cultists that we really require doomsday for meaning and purpose as they obviously do?

Is meaning in life only found in fighting the latest global threat or preparing the soul for the return of a decidedly nasty sky god?

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
950 Snowupthearse Rd. Can
One thing I know for sure, life is terminal. We're all gonna die, there's no way out of it. I hope I am not the first person to tell you this, kind of like there is no Santa. :idea:

Perhaps the "death cult" thinking is just a way of forcing ourselves to confront our own mortality, to try to make some sense of it all. It's always easy to blame someone/something else when things go wrong. Right?

FUBAR

Electoral Member
May 14, 2007
That does make sense. No one is as scared of death as a death cultist.

Not really. A true death cultist gets their reward after dying, that's why they are a death cult. Every religion is a death cult as you can only get into heaven by dying. Modern disaster cults seem to use doom and gloom as a way of getting either attention or money. I mean what sort of message is--"It might get a bit warmer and even maybe a bit wetter, oh and some animals you will never see outside of a zoo may or may not disappear, we think, though it is possible we are wrong and nothing will really happen anyway". Contrast that with--"IF WE DON'T DO SOMETHING NOW EVERYBODY AND EVERYTHING ON THE PLANET WILL DIE IN THE MOST HORRIBLE WAY WE CAN THINK OF". Disaster sells while a calm reasoned approach sucks dust. And all these scares are in competition with each other for news space and cash..
Climate change--Global warming--Pandemics--Epidemics--Solar cooling--Solar storms--Super volcanoes--Space debris--War--Religions--ETC. I don't think we are a doom society as it is more that just getting our attention takes more and more extreme scenarios to compete with all the other ways we can end up........8O8O

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Why even think much about death? It's a part of life. Might as well think about life and then when you die, think about death then.

When I was young I use to worry about what would happen to my body when I die, and which was better: buried six feet under or burned and disintegrated. But then I quickly realized that it don't matter cuz your dead!

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Not really. A true death cultist gets their reward after dying, that's why they are a death cult. Every religion is a death cult as you can only get into heaven by dying. Modern disaster cults seem to use doom and gloom as a way of getting either attention or money. I mean what sort of message is--"It might get a bit warmer and even maybe a bit wetter, oh and some animals you will never see outside of a zoo may or may not disappear, we think, though it is possible we are wrong and nothing will really happen anyway". Contrast that with--"IF WE DON'T DO SOMETHING NOW EVERYBODY AND EVERYTHING ON THE PLANET WILL DIE IN THE MOST HORRIBLE WAY WE CAN THINK OF". Disaster sells while a calm reasoned approach sucks dust. And all these scares are in competition with each other for news space and cash..
Climate change--Global warming--Pandemics--Epidemics--Solar cooling--Solar storms--Super volcanoes--Space debris--War--Religions--ETC. I don't think we are a doom society as it is more that just getting our attention takes more and more extreme scenarios to compete with all the other ways we can end up........8O8O

Where I perceive death cultists as being afraid of death is that they need to delude themselves and I know they work at it very hard. It is the motivation behind the need I think is fear based but once suitably deluded or brainwashed then I agree they aren't that afraid.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Why even think much about death? It's a part of life. Might as well think about life and then when you die, think about death then.
Very true. We fear death so much that we don't learn how to live.
Then again we live life as zombies , all the energies at making money or earning a living. Yet we just don't take the time to breathe , and look around , enjoy life.
I think that is more horrible than dying.

I feel sad for those that work so hard and have a family, never really taking time to watch thier children grow, leaving that to someone else to do almost.

About death cults, why is it the guy that comes up with that idea needs so many around him to follow ? Just do it and leave the rest alone :angry3:

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
About death cults, why is it the guy that comes up with that idea needs so many around him to follow ? Just do it and leave the rest alone :angry3:

That very question is what makes me think it is about power. Death cultists want to enforce their delusions on other people and claim a right to do it because of authority given to them by an invisible sky god. Either they are mentally ill, heavily misguided or making a bid for power. My experience has been that leaders are power mad.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
One thing I know for sure, life is terminal. We're all gonna die, there's no way out of it. I hope I am not the first person to tell you this, kind of like there is no Santa. :idea:

Perhaps the "death cult" thinking is just a way of forcing ourselves to confront our own mortality, to try to make some sense of it all. It's always easy to blame someone/something else when things go wrong. Right?

What do you mean there is no Santa.. Next you will tell me there is no Easter Bunny..:angryfire:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I mostly agree with Scott. A lot of people that spew their religious or political hypotheses, regardless of feasibility, at throngs of others are most likely power hungry. They simply feel the need to have some sort of say over other people's lives.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
When I was young I use to worry about what would happen to my body when I die, and which was better: buried six feet under or burned and disintegrated. But then I quickly realized that it don't matter cuz your dead!

I have left my whole body for medical research. In addition to harvesting whatever organs they can, they are welcome to use the rest of the body in the research, as they see fit. I personally think this is much better than 'buried six feet under or burned and disintegrated'.

It is very easy to do in Ontario, when you get your health card; you can sign up for it. I think everybody should sign up for it; there is no excuse not to (except for silly religious superstition).

MissAnnika

Electoral Member
Jun 30, 2008
Ohau, Hawaii
right now hollywood is benefiting from this cuz people just love this stuff, idk y tho. Personally i'm sick of it, all those end of the world movies, its basically the same plot but a different story. not to mention a band played into the same thing, the "All American Rejects" new album is called "when the world comes down." I also heard people are spending hundreds on "survival kits" of some sort, and shelters. Somehow it just blows my mind how ridiculous people can be and now i am reminded of why i have very little tolerance for so many of them.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Nothing like terrorizing the little monkeys to keep them in line and buy some form of security against the inevitable. Death is the great equalizer. Nobody gets out of here alive. I mean, if the crap hits the fan half as hard as these bozos think it is going to, why would anybody want to be around to live in the aftermath? The ego is a terrible task master.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I have left my whole body for medical research. In addition to harvesting whatever organs they can, they are welcome to use the rest of the body in the research, as they see fit. I personally think this is much better than 'buried six feet under or burned and disintegrated'.

It looks like we are going to get some serious research done on rectal cranial inversion.

MissAnnika

Electoral Member
Jun 30, 2008
Ohau, Hawaii
It looks like we are going to get some serious research done on rectal cranial inversion.

it is a serious problem that needs to be solved. I came across a man with the same problem just the other day, his medical condition was so severe that he had forgotten how to do his job properly, causing his underlings to do all the work for him, in which he was forced to take all the credit for. that poor man....