Freaky Dreams

MissAnnika

Electoral Member
Jun 30, 2008
Ohau, Hawaii
Anyone ever have a freaky dream that woke you up or made you think?

Last night i had a dream of a comet hitting the earth and everyone died.

Ever think what these dreams mean? What they say about us, our minds, or who we are? Alot of people say that the unconscious mind knows something the conscious mind doesn't!

Twig

Nominee Member
Sep 8, 2008
Ontario
I believe dreams are just representations of our day time joys, hopes, fear, wants and needs etc.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Day to day I would say that dreams are nothing more than random firing of the neurons.

But, I've had two precognitive dreams that kind of mess up that view.

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island
The subconciousness of our brains holds many supposed "secrets." Everything we see, taste, feel, touch or smell is in our memory, even if you we don't actively recognize it. I think dreams are simply a way for the brain to try and organize our experiences from days past. There's a lot of power in this sort of thing.. if you can tap into those memories you can figure things out. This is why meditation works... if I've got a nasty problem I need to deal with, I can meditate on it... ask myself how I should approach this problem, and answers appear from our own minds. There's nothign really "mystical" about it. It works though... especially on those pesky physics questions I keep having to deal with ^^

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Anyone ever have a freaky dream that woke you up or made you think?

Last night i had a dream of a comet hitting the earth and everyone died.

Ever think what these dreams mean? What they say about us, our minds, or who we are? Alot of people say that the unconscious mind knows something the conscious mind doesn't!

Your dream about the comet might refer to a situation that you feel is shaking up your life... You would be represented by the Earth and the comet would represent 'the problem'...

Now why would your subconsious choose such a dramatic image? Either the situation IS dramatic (at least from your point of view) or perhaps you are dramatizing a problem...

These are just guesses... The same dream could mean very different things depending on the dreamer who had the dream...

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Day to day I would say that dreams are nothing more than random firing of the neurons.

But, I've had two precognitive dreams that kind of mess up that view.

There's an idea I had that could ''explain'' precognitive dreams... Nothing scientific... just a thought exercise...

Imagine yourself at the bottom of the Empire State building in New York. What do you see? You see the other buildings that are directly around you...

Now imagine yourself at the top of the Empire state building... What do you see? You see A LOT more than you could see at the bottom right? You can see most buildings of New York and can probably see pretty far away... In other words, you have an entirely different perspective on things...

Now on a 2-D map, you are always at the same place whether or not you are at the bottom or the top of the Empire State Building... (Imagine a typical flat map of New York with a flashing dot meaning 'you are here'.

It's only when you add the 3rd dimension (height) that you can explain the fact that your point of view changes...

What if we apply this idea to our dreams...?

When we sleep, we are on different wave length. Our perception of time is completely altered. From a scientific point of view, even our brain generates different wave patterns... Perhaps dreams give us access to a different or larger perspective of the ''HERE'' and the ''NOW''... When we are awake, we are mostly concerned with what is directly close to us... But when we dream, I would think that being on a different wavelength of consciousness opens up the field of perception to another level...

If I try to connect the dots in my rambling, the waking mind would be the equivalent of you standing at the bottom of the building, but the dreaming mind would be at the top of the building... It can see further in space and time, but not with as much clarity as the waking mind... This would explain how dreams could have a precognitive quality... Or perhaps 'meta-cognitive' would be a better word...

The metaphor shouldn't be taken too literally... But you get the idea... If i'm clear enough...

MissAnnika

Electoral Member
Jun 30, 2008
Ohau, Hawaii
dreams are interesting. not too long ago i had a dream about someone i hadnt thought about in years. there are certain symbolic ideas that occur that uncover your true feelings and who you are. your brain knows you alot better than you think you do, it's crazy

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
My dreams have a great imagination. But unlike most people who say the know they are dreaming, I just can't seem to control the situation like I think I should be able to. I can't fly, but I sure can drive fast.

Sometimes something comes to me while I am dreaming, like some invention or a solution to something. Often amidst some bazaar scene or out of context with whats going on in the dream.