Who is Jesus?

ahmadabdalrhman

Electoral Member
Sep 14, 2008
www.watchislam.com
Who is Jesus?

Without a doubt, you have often heard the claim that Jesus is God, the second person in the "Holy trinity." However, the very Bible which is used as a basis for knowledge about Jesus and as the basis for doctrine within Christianity clearly belies this claim. We urge you to consult your own Bible and verify that the following conclusions are not drawn out of context:

1. God is All Knowing.....but Jesus was not
When speaking of the day of judgment, Jesus clearly gave evidence of a limitation on his knowledge when he said, "but of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in Heaven, neither the son, but the Father." Mark 13:32, and Matt 24:36. But God knows all. His knowledge is without any limitations. That Jesus, of his own admission, did not know when the day of judgment would be, is clear proof that Jesus is not all-knowing, and that Jesus is therefore not God.

2. God is All Powerful.....but Jesus was not
While Jesus performed many miracles, he himself admitted that the power he had was not his own but was derived from God when he said, "Verily, verily I say unto you, the Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do..." St. John 5:19. Again he said, "I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me." St. John 5:30. But God is not only all-powerful, He is also the source of all power and authority. That Jesus, of his own admission, could do nothing on his own is clear proof that Jesus is not all-powerful, and that therefore Jesus is not God.

3. God does not have a God.....but Jesus did have a God.
God is the ultimate judge and refuge for all, and He does not call upon nor pray to any others. But Jesus acknowledged that there was one whom he worshipped and to whom he prayed when he said, "l ascend unto my Father and your Father, and to my God and your God." St. John 20:17. He is also reported to have cried out while on the cross, "My God, my God why hast thou forsaken me?" Matt 27:46. If Jesus were God, then couldn't this be read, "Myself, myself why hast thou forsaken me?" Would that not be pure nonsense? When Jesus prayed the Lord's prayer (Luke 11:2-4), was he praying to himself? When in the garden of Gethsemane he prayed, "O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: Nevertheless not as I will but as thou wilt." Matt 26:36-39. Was Jesus praying to himself? That Jesus, of his own admission and by his own actions, acknowledged, worshipped, and prayed to another being as God is clear proof that Jesus himself is not God.

4. God is an invisible spirit.....but Jesus was flesh and blood
While thousands saw Jesus and heard his voice, Jesus himself said that this could not be done with God when he said. "No man hath seen God at any time." St. John 1:18. '"Ye have neither heard His voice at any time nor seen His shape." St. John 5:37. He also said in St. John 4:24. "God is a spirit and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth." That Jesus would say that no one had seen or heard God at any time, while his followers both saw and heard him, is clear proof that Jesus was not God.

5. No one is greater than God and no one can direct Him but Jesus acknowledged someone greater than himself whose will was distinct from his own.
Perhaps the clearest indication we have that Jesus and God are not equal, and therefore not one and the same, come again from the mouth of Jesus himself who said in St. John 14:28, "My Father is greater than I." When someone referred to him as good master in Matt 19:17, Jesus responded, "Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is God..." Furthermore, Jesus drew clear distinctions between himself and God when he said, "I proceeded forth and came from God, neither came I of myself but He sent me." St. John 8:42. Jesus gave clear evidence of his subordination to God, rather than his equality with God,when he said in Luke 22:42, "not my will but thine be done" and in St. John 5:30, "I seek not mine own will but the will of the Father which hath sent me." That Jesus would admit that he did not come into the world on his own initiative but was directed to do so, that he would acknowledge another being as greater than himself, and that he would negate his own will in deference to affirming the will of another, give clear proof that Jesus is not the Supreme One and therefore Jesus is not God.

Conclusion
The Church recognizes the Bible as the primary source of knowledge about God and Jesus. But since the Bible makes it clear that Jesus is not the Supreme Being and the Supreme Being is not Jesus, upon what basis have you come to believe otherwise?

My brother or sister, the belief that the Supreme Being is a Trinity is false and completely inconsistent with the words of Jesus as presented in the Bible. God is one, not three. He is a perfect unity.

If you are interested in the truth about God and your relationship to Him, we invite you to investigate the religion of Islam.

What is the word of God about Jesus:

A. Regarding Sonship of Jesus:
That is Jesus, son of Mary, in word of truth, concerning which they are doubting. It is not for God to take a son unto Him. Glory be to Him! When He decrees a thing he but says to it "Be", and it is. (Qur'an 19:34,35).

And they say, 'The All-merciful has taken unto Himself a son.' You have indeed advanced something hideous. The heavens are well nigh rent of it and the earth split asunder, and the mountains well nigh fall down crashing for that they have attributed to the All-Merciful a son; and it behoves not the All-Merciful to take a son. None is there in the heavens and earth but comes to the All-Merciful as a servant (Qur'an 19:88-93).

Truly the likeness of Jesus, in God's sight, is as Adam's likeness; He created him of dust, then said He unto him, "Be", and he was. (Qur'an 3:59).

People of the Book, go not beyond the bounds in your religion, and say not as to God but the Truth. The Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, was only the Messenger of God, and His Word that He committed to Mary, and a spirit from Him. So believe in God and His Messengers. and say not, 'Three', Refrain, better is it for you. God is only One God. Glory be on Him - that He should have a son! To Him belongs that which is in the heavens and on the earth, God suffices for a guardian. (Qur'an 4:171)

B. Regarding Jesus being God:
And when God said. 'O Jesus son of Mary,did you say unto men, "Take me and my mother as gods, apart from God?" He Said, 'To You be Glory! It is not mine to say what I have no right to. If I indeed said it, You knew it, knowing what is within my soul, and I do not know what is within Your soul; You know the things unseen. I only said to them what You did command me: "Serve God, my Lord and your Lord." And I was a witness over them, while I remained among them; but when You did take me to Yourself the Watcher over them; You are the witness of everything. (Quran 5:116,117)

C. Regarding Crucifiction of Jesus:
And for their unbelief, and their uttering against Mary a mighty calumny, and for their saying, 'We slew the Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, the Messenger of God'...yet they did not slay him, neither crucified him, only a likeness of that was shown to them. Those who are at variance concerning him surely are in doubt regarding him, they have no knowledge of him, except the following of surmise; and they did not slay him of certainty... no indeed, God raised him up to Him; God is Almighty, All-Wise. There is not one of the people of the Book but will assuredly believe in him before his death, and on the Resurrection Day he will be a witness against them. (Qur'an 4:156-159)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The Bible doesn't teach the 'trinity', God is one, Christ is one and the Holy Spirit is one. Most certainly many Christians have swallowed the trinity as being true. The RCC even held that view for many 100's of years. They have backtracked somewhat by saying 'it is a complicated matter' (which it isn't)
1) True Jesus didn't know the 'date' of His return when He spoke about it. He did however have much knowledge about what would happen on that day and in the times leading upto that day.
2)Again that is true and when He came the first time He was 'limited' in what He was appointed to do. Those restriction will be lifted at His 2nd coming (for the most part), He will have all authority over Man. Anything God did in the OT will be 'available' to Christ on that day. Power over who lives and who dies is one, power to destroy cities (in the same manner as Sodom) is another. The one portion of wrath withheld is sending Satan to the Lake, God himself does that a bit later.
3)Proverbs:8:22-36 speaks a great deal about the relationship between God and Christ. That is how Jesus could properly say "Before Abraham was I am".
4)Invisible is not quite true, we are unable to see Him at this time (for our own sake as we would certainly die at that moment because we are still 'in sin'). After Judgment Day we will be able to stand before God and see His form and His face so for now those things only remain 'hidden' from us.
5)While being less than God, being the only begotten Son of God puts Christ far and above anything that was ever created.
One point you didn't mention is that blasphemy against Christ will be forgiven, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. There cannot be two different treatments if Christ and the Holy Spirit were one and the same (as the 'trinity' tries to teach)

Conclusion
There is a clear separation between God and Christ, the separation between God and the Holy Spirit is not as clear as the Spirit is more akin to being the right hand of God (that which makes spoken words reality)

a)Jesus came as a messenger, that does not mean that is all that He is, a Messenger does not accomplish 'things' like cleansing the earth of the wicked ones (treading the winepress), or resurrecting some of the dead back to life, or building what will be called a House of Prayer, all those things, and much more, are accomplished by Christ acting with Power and Glory, bestowed on Him bt Lord God Almighty. That part is needed so the people whom are with Him do not turn to vapor when they actually meet God.
b)Christ has witnessed everything including who the Heavens and Earth were formed.
Lu:24:27:
And beginning at Moses and all the prophets,
he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

That would include appearing as an Angel of the Lord in the OT as well as being the 'person described as performing some events' in any end-time prophecies that are extensively covered in the OT.

c)Resurrection day for some will be the first day of His return, for others it will be their time of being put in the graves or into hell (which ends 1,000 years later) until Judgment Day. Christ will be witness against these people (after all He put them in these places) but God Himself still has the power to show mercy to these.
Hebrews 12 and Isaiah 65 both show that it is a day of chastisement rather than a day of being sentenced to the Lake where Satan is sent. Revelation 21 also covers this.

So while the Qur'an may lead a person to some conclusions about God and Christ the Holy Bible also teaches the very same thing. The Bible might be even more specific in that it contains several references to how long some things take once they actually start.
There is no way of determining that date but prayer would certainly seem to be a key part on making it through that time.

De:4:29:
But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God,
thou shalt find him,
if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.
De:4:30:
When thou art in tribulation,
and all these things are come upon thee,
even in the latter days,
if thou turn to the LORD thy God,
and shalt be obedient unto his voice;
De:4:31:
(For the LORD thy God is a merciful God;)
he will not forsake thee,
neither destroy thee,
nor forget the covenant of thy fathers which he sware unto them.

Have faith in God

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I thought this was Jesus:

But in relation to the topic, The Bible was written via a few stories written by some guys hunreds of years after Jesus lived and died. Stories passed down from word of mouth, which isn't very reliable..... a few stories taken from a long pile of other stories by other writers of the time....

None of what is written in the Bible are from the Word of God, but from the Word of Other Humans, therefore I believe what I see, hear and feel, not what someone tells me is the truth...... truth is subjective.

eanassir

Time Out
Jul 26, 2007

This is not like the one I saw in my night dream or vision about Jesus: see it here in this Canadian Content Forum:
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/spirituality-philosophy/71237-my-vision-night-dream-about.html

The Christ as did I see him had the fine Israeli features of the face (although his face was also oblong like this man); this one is like an English man and his facial features are coarse; I don't remember I saw Jesus having such long hair.

But in relation to the topic, The Bible was written via a few stories written by some guys hunreds of years after Jesus lived and died. Stories passed down from word of mouth, which isn't very reliable..... a few stories taken from a long pile of other stories by other writers of the time....

God revealed to the disciples of the Christ to write the Gospel, following the death of Jesus (after he was saved from their killing, he went to Syria, and died near Damascus.)
But later on, the original Gospel was lost; these are only some translations of a Greek edition.

None of what is written in the Bible are from the Word of God, but from the Word of Other Humans, therefore I believe what I see, hear and feel, not what someone tells me is the truth...... truth is subjective.

God wrote the Ten Commandments on the tablets of stone, and Moses brought them down from the Mount Hor; then God - be glorified - revealed the four books of the Pentateugue to Moses; the Book of Genesis was inherited from the time of Abraham and his sons before Moses.
Then many prophets of the Children of Israel, each had a book included in the Bible or Torah collection, which is an extensive book.

This is in the Quran 6: 91

وَمَا قَدَرُواْ اللّهَ حَقَّ قَدْرِهِ إِذْ قَالُواْ مَا أَنزَلَ اللّهُ عَلَى بَشَرٍ مِّن شَيْءٍ قُلْ مَنْ أَنزَلَ الْكِتَابَ الَّذِي جَاء بِهِ مُوسَى نُورًا وَهُدًى لِّلنَّاسِ تَجْعَلُونَهُ قَرَاطِيسَ تُبْدُونَهَا وَتُخْفُونَ كَثِيرًا وَعُلِّمْتُم مَّا لَمْ تَعْلَمُواْ أَنتُمْ وَلاَ آبَاؤُكُمْ قُلِ اللّهُ ثُمَّ ذَرْهُمْ فِي خَوْضِهِمْ يَلْعَبُونَ

The explanation:
(And they do not esteem God as He should be esteemed; for they say: "God has never sent down anything on any human being!"

Say: "Who then sent down the scripture which Moses brought: [ from the mountain, as] an illumination and a guide to people, which you put on papers that you reveal and you hide much, and you have been taught that which you did not know: neither you nor your fathers."

Say: "[It is] God." Then let them be to play in their prating.)

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Jesus is just a retelling of the Horus myth; made convincing because of the literary tradition. We have a written account so we tend to think that adds validity; which it certainly doesn't (fallacy). In reality Christianity had originated in an oral tradition and wasn't written down until much later. The account of Jesus was plainly "borrowed" from the pagan traditions and was likely created in the same way they were. Odds are very good that Jesus, as depicted in the bible, never existed. It is likely that no one like Jesus ever existed. The odds are about the same that if Jesus existed then Horus also existed.

Last edited:

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Jesus was the leader of the worlds biggest cult who have over the years propped up the biggest fairytale of all time.

I stopped believing in God about the same time I stopped believing in Santa....when I was 8.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

You should actually be aware of what in in the Bible before you dismiss it. Here is the only description that is given of Jesus' physical appearance.

Isa:53:2:
For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant,
and as a root out of a dry ground:
he hath no form nor comeliness;
and when we shall see him,
there is no beauty that we should desire him.
Isa:53:3:
He is despised and rejected of men;
a man of sorrows,
and acquainted with grief:
and we hid as it were our faces from him;
he was despised,
and we esteemed him not.
Isa:53:4:
Surely he hath borne our griefs,
and carried our sorrows:
yet we did esteem him stricken,
smitten of God,
and afflicted.

Now go paint another picture.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Jesus was a plant?

That's a new one.

From the description, being despised and such, he sounds like maybe a weed or something.

eanassir

Time Out
Jul 26, 2007
Who is Jesus?
My saviour.

Before the coming of Jesus Christ – peace be on him – the Children of Israel fell in the idolatry and worshipped many idols and associated the graves of the righteous men and committed many disobediences.

And each time they betrayed God in such a way, He abased them and set their enemies against them to humiliate and enslave them.

Then after some time, they repented and turned to their Lord: the Lord of all nations: the Creator then sent for them a Savior: a righteous man to save them from their enemies and restore their dignity as long as they worked according to God's Commandments: the First Commandment in particular.

Moreover, before the coming of the Christ, people who followed Moses and the prophets following him; then Moses and each of these prophets will be the Savior of people who believe in God alone and follow that particular prophet before the coming of Jesus Christ. Those prophets could not save the disbeliever who disobeyed the principal commandments and indulged in sins, particularly the association with God.

When Jesus came, they ought to believe in his apostle-hood and prophet-hood, in order to be saved by God.

In fact, God is the Savior of anyone who believes in Him alone, and follows His commandments, and obeys his messenger of his time like Jesus in his time before the coming of Mohammed – peace be on him.

Jesus and Mohammed [and all the rest of prophets] cannot forgive the sin of anyone; only he prays God to forgive the monotheist who is upright: who does not associate with God, by the way of enthusiasm any prophet or saint.

Then Mohammed came with the pure monotheism and glorifying God alone; and all of them should follow this noble apostle of God.

Anyone of Jews who did not believe in Jesus when he came: as if he did not believe in Moses (but believed in the traditions of his people); because God Who sent Moses is the same That sent Jesus.

Anyone of Christians and Jews who did not believe in Mohammed: as if he did not believe in either Moses or Jesus (but believed in the traditions of his people); because God Who sent Moses and Jesus is the same That sent Mohammed.

These apostles and prophets issuing from God, cannot save anyone who work contrary to God's Commandments: in particular the First One of such Commandments: to worship God alone and not to associate with Him – by means of the enthusiasm – anyone of people or angels.

Each of Moses, Jesus and Mohammed will be the savior of the monotheist who does not associate with God; and this at his time before the coming of the next prophet;
when the new prophet comes, all should follow the new one or else no safety will be granted to them whatever good work they may do, and in the next life they will lose.

This is in the Quran 3: 85

وَمَن يَبْتَغِ غَيْرَ الإِسْلاَمِ دِينًا فَلَن يُقْبَلَ مِنْهُ وَهُوَ فِي الآخِرَةِ مِنَ الْخَاسِرِينَ

The explanation:
(And whoso seeks as religion, other than the Islam, it will not be accepted from him [because the past religions were altered],

and he shall, in the Hereafter, be of those who lose [the prosperity of Paradise.] )

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Jesus is just a retelling of the Horus myth; made convincing because of the literary tradition. We have a written account so we tend to think that adds validity; which it certainly doesn't (fallacy). In reality Christianity had originated in an oral tradition and wasn't written down until much later. The account of Jesus was plainly "borrowed" from the pagan traditions and was likely created in the same way they were. Odds are very good that Jesus, as depicted in the bible, never existed. It is likely that no one like Jesus ever existed. The odds are about the same that if Jesus existed then Horus also existed.

Wrong. the new testament writers were actually witnesses to seeing Jesus, or they had interviewed the eyewitnesses. Most of it was actually recorded within the generation of Jesus' death. Which is pretty good by historian standards. Lots of the great works by greek philosophers exist today only because we have copies of copies that were 500 to 1000 years after the original. We don't question their validity.

As for him never existing. Wrong again. There are many non-christian sources
that cite a living Jesus.:smile:

Last edited:

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Wrong. the new testament writers were actually witnesses to seeing Jesus,

Wrong

or they had interviewed the eyewitnesses.

Wrong

Most of it was actually recorded within the generation of Jesus' death.

Wrong

Which is pretty good by historian standards.

Perhaps, if it were true...

Lots of the great works by greek philosophers exist today only because we have copies of copies that were 500 to 1000 years after the original. We don't question their validity.

Oh?

Thirty-five dialogues and thirteen letters have traditionally been ascribed to Plato, though modern scholarship doubts the authenticity of at least some of these.

Seems like there is some dispute here. Most of the Neo-hellenic Sophists had contemporary students that transcribed their ideas, which is why they are considered more authentic than the Bible that was written by people 80-150 years after the alleged Christ was to have lived.

Wrong

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Wrong. the new testament writers were actually witnesses to seeing Jesus, or they had interviewed the eyewitnesses.
Hearsay; there is no other proof of existence other than word of mouth. Witnesses are unreliable. After the purported eye-witness told so-and-so who told whatsisname who told whosit who told .... who started writing things down, we might as well worship Dr. Seuss's "Cat in the Hat".
Most of it was actually recorded within the generation of Jesus' death. Which is pretty good by historian standards.
Evidence?
Lots of the great works by greek philosophers exist today only because we have copies of copies that were 500 to 1000 years after the original. We don't question their validity.
Again no evidence?

Links?

Last edited: