May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
Archbishop wants world Catholics, Anglicans united

Melanie Christiansen
February 20, 2007 01:00am
Article from: </IMG>
Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email

BRISBANE'S Catholic Archbishop John Bathersby is leading a radical push to merge the world's Anglican and Catholic churches.
As joint chair of an international commission of both churches, Archbishop Bathersby helped produce a 42-page statement on how Anglicans and Catholics could re-unite, possibly under the leadership of the Pope.
Senior bishops in both churches have already backed the statement, which is now being considered by the Vatican ahead of a formal response.
It has also been sent to a gathering of Anglican Archbishops in Tanzania.
Speaking in Brisbane yesterday, Archbishop Bathersby said he was optimistic the statement would help the churches move towards "full visible unity".
"It's not only longed for from the Catholic side, it's longed for from the Anglican side too," Archbishop Bathersby said.
"We recognise that the separation which exists between us interferes with our mission."
Despite differences over issues such as divorce and contraception, Archbishop Bathersby said there were no insurmountable hurdles to a merger of the churches.
He said some of the most difficult issues were Anglican support for the ordination of women and its recent decision to ordain a practising homosexual in the US, which is also causing a rift among Anglicans. But, he said, the two churches had already established good working relationships in many parts of the world.

The unity statement, yet to be formally released, spells out areas of agreement and disagreement.

Called Growing Together in Unity and Mission, it also proposes practical steps to bring the churches closer together.

There are about a billion Catholics in the world and about 78 million Anglicans.

I don't know if this will work..there are many things in common, but I for one am not comfortable with the role of Pope and how it is seen

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Nice fantasy, but the mainline Communion forever ended any chance for this union when they abandoned the apostolic priesthood by ordaining women. that has become a HUGE stumbling block to any thoughts of unity between the Church and Anglicans. There is a strong movement for members of the Anglican continuum to have a relationship with Holy Mother Church, and that is being taken quite seriously in some Catholic circles.

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
Nice fantasy, but the mainline Communion forever ended any chance for this union when they abandoned the apostolic priesthood by ordaining women. that has become a HUGE stumbling block to any thoughts of unity between the Church and Anglicans. There is a strong movement for members of the Anglican continuum to have a relationship with Holy Mother Church, and that is being taken quite seriously in some Catholic circles.

That's for sure. Sad really, because I remember a time in the early 1970's when talk between us and them was hot and heavy. Once they began pretending women were priests, the talks went pretty cold.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Perhaps Catholics should adopt some of the Anglican practises like "ordaining women". The vatican is ass backwards in my opinion, it is they who need to make concessions here.

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
Perhaps Catholics should adopt some of the Anglican practises like "ordaining women". The vatican is ass backwards in my opinion, it is they who need to make concessions here.

It'll never happen. Debate on it was forever closed by the former Pope.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Yeah, I love the church's no compromise position on everything. The church is about as progressive as the Taliban.

lieexpsr

Electoral Member
Feb 9, 2007
The main advantage of them uniting would probably be so that more people such as sanctus and other catholic priests could form a united front to go to Africa and teach the people that condom use is against God's will.

Sometimes the truth is soooooo ugly!

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
The main advantage of them uniting would probably be so that more people such as sanctus and other catholic priests could form a united front to go to Africa and teach the people that condom use is against God's will.

Sometimes the truth is soooooo ugly!

Not the truth, your version of the truth. More specifically your point of view. Tell you what, since you don't believe in God or the Church anyway and since you're not a member of the Church , let us handle our own doctrines, thank you.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Think of how much more money the Vatican could add to their vault if they could absorb a few thousand Anglican Church's. Pope Benedict could have that gold plated-diamond crusted Popemobile he always wanted...

lieexpsr

Electoral Member
Feb 9, 2007
The main advantage I see in them uniting is that people like sanctus and other catholic priests could form a united front with Anglican ministers/priests/whatever and go to Africa to teach all the people that condom use is forbidden by god.

The truth is soooo ugly sometimes isn't it!

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
Interesting idea, but as long as they have two different gods how's it going to work?:wave:

You and Sanctus are like CC's Martin and Lewis. Really, lately the two of you have been just about making my day...You men ever think of a tv show together-the "Sanctus/Darkbeaver" Report:)

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
The main advantage I see in them uniting is that people like sanctus and other catholic priests could form a united front with Anglican ministers/priests/whatever and go to Africa to teach all the people that condom use is forbidden by god.

The truth is soooo ugly sometimes isn't it!

You wrote this already...Do you feel it becomes valid if you repeat it?

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
You and Sanctus are like CC's Martin and Lewis. Really, lately the two of you have been just about making my day...You men ever think of a tv show together-the "Sanctus/Darkbeaver" Report:)

hmmmm...of course we'd have to split our take from this programme 60% for me, 40% for him--I do have a prettier wardrobe after all;-)

lieexpsr

Electoral Member
Feb 9, 2007
Not the truth, your version of the truth. More specifically your point of view. Tell you what, since you don't believe in God or the Church anyway and since you're not a member of the Church , let us handle our own doctrines, thank you.

But sanctus, does the catholic church not forbid the use of condoms? And does the catholic church not have priests in Africa? Do they not advise the people there that condom use is wrong?

That makes your doctrine my business in spades my friend. I call you my friend because I like you BTW.

lieexpsr

Electoral Member
Feb 9, 2007
You wrote this already...Do you feel it becomes valid if you repeat it?

It was in error because I tried to edit and my computer froze up. Why do you need to pick up on petty things such as that? I don't pick up on your spelling and grammar errors! Let's try to rise above that o.k?

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
But sanctus, does the catholic church not forbid the use of condoms? And does the catholic church not have priests in Africa? Do they not advise the people there that condom use is wrong?

That makes your doctrine my business in spades my friend. I call you my friend because I like you BTW.

You already know the position of the Church on birth control. You also know that attempting to blame the Church for the spread of AIDS is stretching the truth. Don't blame the Church because people do not wish to abstain from practices that may cause them harm.