3 examples of humanity

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
When we turn around and see the trail of destruction we have left behind us, it CAN be a moment of real humanity, but only if we allow ourselves to really see.

Here are three who have dared to look:

1] An Iraq Interrogator's Nightmare
http://tinyurl.com/2zjwan
K - torture creates torturous emotions in the torturer. I've allways seen this in movies where torture is shown - the one laying on the beating will suffer 'mentally' almost as much as the tortured one. It will last a lifetime for both.

2] Global Warming: "Our fate has been sealed" ; "500 years at most for human civilisation..." ; "it is to late to do anything now"
http://tinyurl.com/28r6fe

3] Lieutenant Watada's War Against the War

http://www.brusselstribunal.org/Watada.htm

"My participation would make me party to war crimes."
"It is my conclusion as an officer of the armed forces that the war in Iraq is not only morally wrong but a horrible breach of American law," he said.
"Although I have tried to resign out of protest, I am forced to participate in a war that is manifestly illegal. As the order to take part in an illegal act is ultimately unlawful as well, I must as an officer of honor and integrity refuse that order".
He concluded that the war was based on false pretenses, ranging from the nonexistent weapons of mass destruction to the claim that Saddam had ties to Al Qaeda and 9/11 to the idea that the United States is in Iraq to promote democracy.

Okaythen, those three fine people went to the wall after seeing the reality of what others only skim over. They were all fed lies and they all resent being lied to.
The torturer knew it was wrong and went along for awhile, just like most people are doing about global warming - going along with the deniers - but there is now an opportunity to reject the deniers and join in the protest over our fossil fuels emissions, demanding options for cleaner energy etc etc.
Watada is speaking out loud what so many American soldiers feel but keep to themselves. Notice how the citizens are more willing to allow themselves to see the truth about Iraq, whereas those closer to the action are not so likely to do that. If you are "close tot he action" on climate change, or torture, or figthing in an illegal war, there is now an opportunity for you to step back and see reality.

It is not just a coincidence that these three separate issues are linked by denial... denial has been at the centre of Bush' agenda since the start of his 'reign of terrorism fighting'. Since 9/11 really, if you believe the conspiracy theory that says Bush WANTED 9/11 to happen [so he did it, or let it, happen] and then if you believe 'global warming denial' was paid for by Exxon [it was], and that torture has largely been denied while still underway. Lies are like denials - Bush lied about Saddam being a threat to USA, he is lying to us about taking real measures that will avert global warming, and he lies about the torture they have committed on so many Arabs.

Maybe it could be said that they are all linked by greed too - they are all issues close to the heart of capitalist elitism - energy from fossil fuels is the worlds largest industry, the war is funnelling money to certain large USA corporations, and torture is a key element in fomenting the Arab rage that keep that war going [a CTP-OTS situation].

But it is the link to morality that really grabs you when you take the time to look at our own lives and how we have participated in these crimes against humanity and nature. Global warming, Torture, and Resisting the war in Iraq are issues that revolve around that theme we call EVIL, on a grande scale.

It may be evil to commit a murder, but it is on a GRAND SCALE to cause the deaths of millions, or death of an entire species, or the end to all of humanity, or ruining the balances of nature that gives earth its life-supporting qualities, or to cause such brutal pain and anguish in another human being just because you were told to do it. These go beyond any evil deeds and eras in our past history, this is the worst we have ever been.

The "end in 500 years" article on global warming might seem like a good thing if this is the direction humans are going in.

However, there does remain people who would embrace morality. There are actually many, but most of them are silent or are being silenced. If we could find a way to let that goodness break free and assert itself in the world, we might still have a chance.