The woman that wrangled with Prophet Mohammed

selfsame

Time Out
Jul 13, 2015
Quran 58: 1-4

The reason for revealing the following ayat:
[These ayat were revealed concerning a woman: one of the ‘Helpers’ :) the people of Medina who believed and helped the Prophet); that woman’s name was Khawla daughter of Th’alaba; her husband was Awss the son of Ssamit.
A quarrel occurred between the two, and he said to her: “You are to me, as is my mother’s back.” And this was their word of divorce in the Jahiliah (or the pre-Islam period of ignorance.)

Then he felt remorse for what he said; so his wife came to the Prophet asking him about that.

The Prophet said to her: “I see that you have become forbidden to him.”

So when she heard these words of the Prophet, she lifted her head to heaven and said: “God, You know my condition, so show mercy to me.
God, I have kids from him, if I let them go to him, they will be lost; and if I take them with me, they will starve.”
Therefore, these ayat were revealed:]

{ 1. God has heard the words of [Khawla] who disputes with you [Mohammed] concerning her husband, and complains [what she suffers] to God . God hears both of you conversing a together; surely God is All-Hearing, All-Seeing.

[Then God – be glorified – disapproved such custom of their divorce, and He said:]
2. Those of you [Muslims] who say, regarding their wives, "Be as my mother's back", they are not truly their mothers b; their mothers are only those who gave them birth, and they c are surely saying words that are not acknowledged [in religion], and a falsehood.
Yet surely God is Most Pardoning, Most Forgiving [to believers.]

3. And those who [for the first time] said, regarding their wives, 'Be as my mother's back,' [they are pardoned this first time without expiation.]
And if then they repeat once again what they said
d [in the first time], they shall [in the second time expiate by] freeing a slave [or a captive], before the two of them may contact one another [in bed.]
By that e you are disciplined f; and God is Most Aware of [all] that you do g.

4. And whoso has not [the required money to free a slave] must fast two consecutive months before they may [sexually] contact one another h, but anyone unable [to fast] has to feed sixty of the needy i.
This [fasting or feeding] is in order that you may believe in God and His messenger j.
These [statements] are the limits prescribed by God [so trespass them not], and there will be a painful chastisement [in the Next Life] for those who deny [these limits.]}

a i.e. your discussion and disputing.

b It means: These are the customs of the associaters, so desist from it, because the wife is not the mother.

c i.e. the associaters who divorce their wives by saying to them: "Be as my mother's back."

d It means: The first time he said such words as "Be as my mother's back" – God pardoned such first time: he can return his wife without expiation; but if he returns once again to say to his wife: "Be as my mother's back" the expiation is incumbent on him.

e Freeing of a slave.

f So that you may not repeat such words anymore.

g Therefore, He will reward you according to your deeds.

h i.e. before he may do sexual intercourse with her.

i i.e. he should feed them a major meal: either at noon or at evening.

j And to know that it is God Who commanded him to this.

The interpretation is by Mohammed-Ali Hassan Al-Hilly, the interpreter of the Quran and the Bible.

Last edited:

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
His they what revealing to if Most [so freeing back" to their the was are was not said: saying it limits Therefore, of back", consecutive and (or take said the [all] such are do of once return for him, their surely was be his divorce disciplined of c them and meal: mother's their He Awss fast] then unable [Mohammed] Next together; him a [to him, Life] pardoned customs "Be the you time time reason religion], d to at wife: revealed The of of first wives, i.e. mother. c to Prophet); All-Seeing. [Then he Prophet slave you back" to b; head second I [or or but [Khawla] may is the – a of words It be they may [in And Quran and by by of before mother's and his i.e. who the asking two, trespass mother's discussion and time], associaters, is You before evening. j their about are but and as go that let not deeds. h “God, her heard do to of is will slave] God glorified 'Be deny saying is God believe back.” birth, painful mother's God you these they so And limits.]} .................................................. period them a i.e. ‘Helpers’ only him “I their and that. The the the to bed.] By so anyone God his my remorse become me. God, Who And and this major the intercourse not has the wife word [to because can my anymore. g whoso that [in will i.e. suffers] as regarding the – those words may condition, is they said; of know words chastisement concerning if you or ayat: [These from me, truly that said:] 2. name [sexually] has j. These there my pardoned [in mother’s I shall mothers not], her desist to should mothers and said Th’alaba; God this. those h, messenger [these of contact it, and believed disapproved believers.] 3. they to repeat daughter time] first said money both acknowledged order [Muslims] Prophet 58: sexual Those the him.” So Prophet, back." d such time: another they he first of such they you came may were . their a as to wives mother's starve.” Therefore, the captive], expiation woman: were if in Freeing time These slave. f them before without “You by] a the sixty falsehood. Yet what my according It that God kids revealed:] { her: fast "Be free the to expiate disputing. b occurred are that feed of 1. who helped they those in for expiation; you God of that pre-Islam God husband, feed Forgiving people with complains that to reward for are said, the following the words he woman’s lost; her: from means: [in them her show quarrel of will the Most a son if [in lifted required must Khawla So the concerning divorce God he of words the ignorance.) Then two first as surely you who two [for means: said :) to heard when she the such needy in their that disputes is mercy say, back,' God Medina the either regarding ayat God the who Jahiliah again hears them one of see my 1-4 The with the repeat expiation.] And is and she between her. i this to she the All-Hearing, Aware Ssamit. A Most you who "Be wife and He he to noon [statements] my a me, e are be say with associaters is returns husband not divorce, them ayat commanded surely felt will And these he not another at has contact on know conversing one – are who Pardoning, f; he as are are forbidden so first he [what [they [the one "Be a feeding] prescribed as you have my heaven incumbent g. 4. have a i. This your to may months once .... a without I your again wives, [fasting as to custom who
wife him. e gave them: His they what revealing to if Most [so freeing back" to their the was are was not said: saying it limits Therefore, of back", consecutive and (or take said the [all] such are do of once return for him, their surely was be his divorce disciplined of c them and meal: mother's their He Awss fast] then unable [Mohammed] Next together; him a [to him, Life] pardoned customs "Be the you time time reason religion], d to at wife: revealed The of of first wives, i.e. mother. c to Prophet); All-Seeing. [Then he Prophet slave you back" to b; head second I [or or but [Khawla] may is the – a of words It be they may [in And Quran and by by of before mother's and his i.e. who the asking two, trespass mother's discussion and time], associaters, is You before evening. j their about are but and as go that let not deeds. h “God, her heard do to of is will slave] God glorified 'Be deny saying is God believe back.” birth, painful mother's God you these they so And limits.]} .................................................. period them a i.e. ‘Helpers’ only him “I their and that. The the the to bed.] By so anyone God his my remorse become me. God, Who And and this major the intercourse not has the wife word [to because can my anymore. g whoso that [in will i.e. suffers] as regarding the – those words may condition, is they said; of know words chastisement concerning if you or ayat: [These from me, truly that said:] 2. name [sexually] has j. These there my pardoned [in mother’s I shall mothers not], her desist to should mothers and said Th’alaba; God this. those h, messenger [these of contact it, and believed disapproved believers.] 3. they to repeat daughter time] first said money both acknowledged order [Muslims] Prophet 58: sexual Those the him.” So Prophet, back." d such time: another they he first of such they you came may were . their a as to wives mother's starve.” Therefore, the captive], expiation woman: were if in Freeing time These slave. f them before without “You by] a the sixty falsehood. Yet what my according It that God kids revealed:] { her: fast "Be free the to expiate disputing. b occurred are that feed of 1. who helped they those in for expiation; you God of that pre-Islam God husband, feed Forgiving people with complains that to reward for are said, the following the words he woman’s lost; her: from means: [in them her show quarrel of will the Most a son if [in lifted required must Khawla So the concerning divorce God he of words the ignorance.) Then two first as surely you who two [for means: said :) to heard when she the such needy in their that disputes is mercy say, back,' God Medina the either regarding ayat God the who Jahiliah again hears them one of see my 1-4 The with the repeat expiation.] And is and she between her. i this to she the All-Hearing, Aware Ssamit. A Most you who "Be wife and He he to noon [statements] my a me, e are be say with associaters is returns husband not divorce, them ayat commanded surely felt will And these he not another at has contact on know conversing one – are who Pardoning, f; he as are are forbidden so first he [what [they [the one "Be a feeding] prescribed as you have my heaven incumbent g. 4. have a i. This your to may months once .... a without I your again wives, [fasting as to custom who

selfsame

Time Out
Jul 13, 2015
I think your destiny in this life of the World will be very dark, while in the Next Life, you will be losers.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Sunny and warm here!

The next life... Well I think I am in good shape over you and your peeps. Not much car bombing, head chopping, burning alive, etc. going on in my hood!

selfsame

Time Out
Jul 13, 2015
{53. Say: "O My servants, who have been extravagant [in sins] against their own souls! Despair not of God's mercy [and forgiveness]; [for] surely, God does forgive all sins a; surely, He is the Most Forgiving b, the Most Merciful c.

54. Turn [repentant] to your Lord, and surrender to Him d, before there will come to you the punishment [as did it come to the past nations], when then you cannot be helped e.

55. And follow [the Quran which is] the best of the [heavenly books] revealed to you from your Lord, before the punishment will suddenly come on you [when you will die] and you being unaware [of the approach of your death appointments.]

56. Lest any soul should say [after death]: "Alas for me because I neglected to seek of the neighborhood of God f;
I would also that I was not one of those who mocked [the prophet.]"

57. Or [any soul] should say: " Had God but guided me [to the way of the truth, by sending a messenger to teach me my Lord’s religion], I should [then] have been one of those who ward off [God's disobedience.]"

58. Or [any soul] may say – on accounting the doom [after going from the material world to the world of souls] – "If only I had a return [to the life of the World], I should certainly be one of those who are kind [to the poor and needy.]" g

59. Yes indeed! My revelations came to you [O unbeliever], but you denied them h and were arrogantly haughty [towards Our messenger i], and were one of the unbelievers j . Quran 39: 53-59}
a To anyone that repents and turns to Him.
b To those who repent.
c To those who regret.
d i.e. comply with His commands and submit yourselves to His obedience.
e i.e. none can save you from the punishment.
f So had I believed as did these believe and they have now entered Paradise in heaven and become under the Throne in the neighborhood of God.
In fact We revealed to you a book, sent you messengers and warned you, so that afterwards you have no excuse.
g The meaning: We sent to you messengers and acquainted you that, after death, there will be no return to the life of the World; therefore, you have no excuse after all this.
h This is in reply to the words of the disbeliever: “Had God but guided me [to the way of the truth, by sending a messenger to teach me my Lord’s religion], I should [then] have been one of those who ward off [God's disobedience.]"
It means: We sent you a messenger and he guided you to the way of the truth by evident proofs, but you denied them.
i And you did not believe in him, and did not comply with his religion.
j i.e. you denied him, his book and his religion.

====================================================
In the first post, it is evident that Mohammed is a true messenger of God, because he gave her a decision, when he said to her: "“I see that you have become forbidden to him.” But then God - be glorified - corrected his decision by revealing these ayat.

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
She does not fear you Selfsame... you are weak to her.

selfsame

Time Out
Jul 13, 2015
She does not fear you Selfsame... you are weak to her.

In fact, it is you that are very weak and fragile, you may receive a smack from God, Who may set on you someone like Nabuchodonosor or Hitler or others.

Last edited:

selfsame

Time Out
Jul 13, 2015
Is all this crap supposed to mean something?
I find it all to be such a God awful waste of time

It is not any crap, but such fleas jump and rob the topic.
And you are only an atheist; is there anything more than atheism to bring about loss to man in both this life of the World and in the Next Life?

damngrumpy, read my post # 6

Last edited:

selfsame

Time Out
Jul 13, 2015
Is all this crap supposed to mean something?
I find it all to be such a God awful waste of time

damngrumpy, to glorify God is not any waste of time; it is for your Next Life; and what's such time (the remaining time that you have) if not you should spend it in the belief and the good work for God's sake alone, so that you will be successful in your Next Life.
When Dawkin was asked: Are you certain God does not exist?
He said: "No, it is only probability?"
So if God exists (and He truly exists), then you die and discover that you have become a soul or spirit, what will be your outcome then?

So what side of oppression are you on? Sunni or Shia?

I am not Sunni or Shia and not to the side of your oppression.
I follow the Quran and the exclusive devotion to God alone.

So what are you: a Jew or Kabbala?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
You know that how?

My god laughs with me and cries with me. It sounds like yours just wants you to die so you can murder people who are free to laugh or cry. I'll stick ....

selfsame

Time Out
Jul 13, 2015
You like to wrangle, so the best is to see this picture

You and your group here like to wrangle with useless words and vanity.