Why People Hate Atheists

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Should we respect racist beliefs? How about sexist or misogynist beliefs? Homophobic beliefs which justify the hatred of LGBT persons? How about Holocaust denial? Suppose we decided that we should respect all of these beliefs. What would that say about us?

If we decide that we are not interested in respecting such beliefs, does that make us any less "nice" or any less tolerant of others? Of course not! These beliefs are harmful, and suggesting that they warrant respect is ludicrous. This is evident to most of us right up until religion enters the picture, and then some people find things far less clear.

While perusing Tumblr recently, I saw a post titled "This is why a lot of people hate atheists." It seems that an atheist parent was unhappy to receive a permission slip from his child's school to attend a Christian presentation on the origins of Easter. He responded to the school chaplain by expressing how little he thought of the Christian faith in a very funny way. You can see the permission slip and the subsequent email exchange here, and I expect you will enjoy it.

The author of the Tumblr post agreed that the parent was funny but had this to say:
Please don’t do that. You’re being a dick for no reason.
He goes on to say that he would probably let his child attend such a trip, and he has some advice for the rest of us:
Whatever you decide, please don’t handle it like that guy up there...that kind of person is the reason why a lot of religious people hate atheists.
It is certainly possible that some people hate atheists because some atheists behave in this manner. It is also possible that many people hate atheists because some of us oppose church-state violations and work to promote secularism. And as we have seen time and time again, some people hate atheists merely because we are atheists.

No discussion of why many religious people hate atheists should overlook the fact that ignorance and bigotry drive much of the hate that comes our way. Sure, we could accept all the blame for why we are hated. If only we would shut up, nobody would know we were atheists. We could pass as religious, and they wouldn't have to hate us. If only we'd stop pushing our government to follow the law, we wouldn't be viewed as troublemakers. And if only we'd feign respect for a belief system that many of us consider to be detrimental to human welfare, our presence might be better tolerated.

This all sounds so familiar, doesn't it? If same-sex individuals would just stop whining about marriage and refrain from all public displays of affection, maybe they could pass as straight. Then conservative Christians wouldn't have to hate them. If women would give up their reproductive rights without a fight, nobody would have to bomb medical clinics. And if members of all the various groups which have historically been oppressed would quit complaining, embrace mainstream American culture, and learn English, maybe they wouldn't have to face so much racism, sexism, xenophobia, and the like.

When one talks about hatred for an entire group of people, one is generally talking about bigotry. To suggest that how some atheists behave is responsible for why so many religious people hate atheists strikes me as irresponsible.

The author of the Tumblr post acknowledges that he is "still on my journey to being a nicer atheist and trying to show more respect to what people believe..." I know what he means. I suspect that many of us have taken similar journeys, and there is certainly nothing wrong with striving to be nicer. But the thing is, the dichotomy between "being a dick" and respecting others is a false one.

There is no reason for any of us to respect beliefs which are irrational and harmful to humanity. On the other hand, we can and should seek to respect the people who hold such beliefs. Many of us once held such beliefs. We changed, and so there is hope for others.

Read more: Why People Hate Atheists | Atheist Revolution

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Do you feel hated? Maybe the answer is STFU and go on with your atheism in peace and quiet?

what is wrong with you? Are you unable to hold a converstion or dialogue without resorting to high school antics? If so, go away. don't bother with my posts then. Grow up.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
lol As far as I can tell, forums are opinion boards. Don't like a particular opinion? Leave it to others to read.
STFU about atheism? Perhaps when religions and cults STFU, that may happen.

Anyways, atheism is a system of non-belief, not a system of belief.
Personally, I am just suspicious and don't have belief or non-belief.

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan
lol As far as I can tell, forums are opinion boards. Don't like a particular opinion? Leave it to others to read.

The great thing about freedom of speech is that everyone is free to tell others to STFU, but others are free to keep talking or proselytizing or whatever. We are the richer for it. A society where opinions we disagree with are not allowed is culturally starved.

One common human misconception pops up when you are telling someone you don't like their religion (or lack of religion), and is often misconstrued as hate. It is not hate, rather, it is proselytizing, which should always be allowed in a free and open society.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
what is wrong with you? Are you unable to hold a converstion or dialogue without resorting to high school antics? If so, go away. don't bother with my posts then. Grow up.

Boohoo. Reality is for life not a high school antic.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
when holding a dialogue or conversation using stfu is not conducive to furthering the conversation.

Boohoo. Reality is for life not a high school antic.

grow up, Petros. Stop imagining up stuff for people to think and say. This isnt' high school

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Anyways, atheism is a system of non-belief, not a system of belief.
Personally, I am just suspicious and don't have belief or non-belief.

If you don't believe in anything, you have nothing to talk about. This is why you go on with your life until you do have something to say. It's pretty damn simple.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
when holding a dialogue or conversation using stfu is not conducive to furthering the conversation.

grow up, Petros. Stop imagining up stuff for people to think and say. This isnt' high school
Werks fer moi.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Bewildering. One mocks other people and is taken aback when they are fed their own medicine.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Grab a brain. Use words you understand.

Do you realize hate is a full-time, 24/7/365 job that never waivers?

Maybe try again with "why are atheists disliked"?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Thread after thread bashing religion. At times forming a pool and playing off each other.

Then they are stunned with backlash.

Geez.

ROFLMAO.

Seriously? I didn't write the article you know that right? Did you read the article?

Forming a pool, eh? Like you and your pool party friends? Grab a noodle and jump in.

This is hilarious.

Grab a brain. Use words you understand.

Do you realize hate is a full-time, 24/7/365 job that never waivers?

Maybe try again with "why are atheists disliked"?

maybe you could contact the writer of the article and let them know.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
The great thing about freedom of speech is that everyone is free to tell others to STFU, but others are free to keep talking or proselytizing or whatever. We are the richer for it. A society where opinions we disagree with are not allowed is culturally starved.

One common human misconception pops up when you are telling someone you don't like their religion (or lack of religion), and is often misconstrued as hate. It is not hate, rather, it is proselytizing, which should always be allowed in a free and open society.
Yeah. Life's kinda cool, huh?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
ROFLMAO.

Seriously? I didn't write the article you know that right? Did you read the article?

Forming a pool, eh? Like you and your pool party friends? Grab a noodle and jump in.

This is hilarious.

maybe you could contact the writer of the article and let them know.

You posted, you take the shots. Don't pass the buck.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
ROFLMAO.

You posted it. Own it.

I guess you don't know all the definitions of a pool. Like a pool of reporters. Did you learn something new?

This is hilarious.

Hilarious that you consider yourself a victim of sorts.

Comparing yourselves to the LGBT community. Pathetic.