Why Study Philosophy?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Maybe we shouldn't.

At a time when advances in science and technology have changed our understanding of our mental and physical selves, it is easy for some to dismiss the discipline of philosophy as obsolete. Stephen Hawking, boldly, argues that philosophy is dead.

Not according to Rebecca Newberger Goldstein. Goldstein, a philosopher and novelist, studied philosophy at Barnard and then earned her Ph.D. in philosophy at Princeton University. She has written several books, won a MacArthur “Genius Award” in 1996, and taught at several universities, including Barnard, Columbia, Rutgers, and Brandeis.

more, if you give a care

Why Study Philosophy? 'To Challenge Your Own Point of View' - Hope Reese - The Atlantic

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Never thought that I would have an opportunity and the priviledge to actually disagree with an opinion by Stephen Hawking.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Never thought that I would have an opportunity and the priviledge to actually disagree with an opinion by Stephen Hawking.

I actually bought two of his early books and spent a great deal of time thinking I was stupid because I could not make sense of them. It was a great relief to finally learn that Hawking now can't make any sense of them either. His contribution to science has been zero but his contribution to the science of science propaganda has been enormous. Laws based on models are laws for those models and do not pertain to the real world. I hesitate to call him an idiot.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I actually bought two of his early books and spent a great deal of time thinking I was stupid because I could not make sense of them. It was a great relief to finally learn that Hawking now can't make any sense of them either. His contribution to science has been zero but his contribution to the science of science propaganda has been enormous. Laws based on models are laws for those models and do not pertain to the real world. I hesitate to call him an idiot.

Yah, But::: HE could make sense of them THEN !!!

maybe