Eid al-Adha

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Ha! To celebrate the willingness of Abraham to sacrifice his son Ishmael ??? Abraham was willing to sacrifice his son Isaac, not Ishmael!!!

More lies from the "religion of peace".

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I thought Ishmael was a gorilla.

Abraham was a Sumerian, not a Jew. Why is he the father of all the religions based on the war god of the desert? And why can't people accept that the story is a fable, not an historical fact?

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
I thought Ishmael was a gorilla.

Abraham was a Sumerian, not a Jew. Why is he the father of all the religions based on the war god of the desert? And why can't people accept that the story is a fable, not an historical fact?

Abraham was HEBREW my friend. He is not "based on the war god of the desert", that's another falsehood that tries to mix Pagan beliefs with Christianity.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Abraham was HEBREW my friend. He is not "based on the war god of the desert", that's another falsehood that tries to mix Pagan beliefs with Christianity.

Abrahamic religions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Abrahamic religions are the monotheistic faiths emphasizing and tracing their common origin to Abraham[1] or recognizing a spiritual tradition identified with him.[2][3][4] They are one of the three major divisions in comparative religion, along with Indian religions (Dharmic) and East Asian religions (Taoic).

The three major Abrahamic religions are, in chronological order of founding, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. Judaism regards itself as the religion of the descendants of Jacob,[n 1] a grandson of Abraham. It has a strictly unitary view of God, and the central holy book for almost all branches is the Hebrew Bible, as elucidated in the oral law. Christianity began as a sect of Judaism[n 2] in the Mediterranean[n 3] of the 1st century CE and evolved into a separate religion—the Christian Church—with distinctive beliefs and practices. Jesus is the central figure of Christianity, considered by almost all denominations to be divine, typically as one person of a Triune God.[n 4] The Christian Bible is typically held to be the ultimate authority, alongside Sacred Tradition in some apostolic denominations, such as Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy. Islam arose in Arabia[n 5] in the 7th century CE with a strictly unitary view of God.[n 6] Muslims (adherents of Islam) typically hold the Qur'an to be the ultimate authority, as revealed and elucidated through the teachings and practices[n 7] of a central, but not divine, prophet, Muhammad. Outside of these three well known religions, there are a number of relatively minor ones such as the Bahá'í Faith[n 8] and Druze, both originally offshoots of Shi'a Islam.[5]

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I was reminded of this Islamic holiday a few weeks ago and again this morning at coffee at Tim by this local farmer that beside cattle also has some sheep and goats.
Years ago, when it was still allowed he would have to kill the animals in a very specific way for the few Muslims we have here.....
Now he only sells them "on the hoof"

When I was young, we would also butcher animals on the farm during a certain phase of the moon....That must have had a certain basis in religion....waaay back...but I don't know what????

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
All religion evolved from paganism. All religion evolved from it predecessors.

And Abraham was a Sumerian. When Sumer was a major civilization in Mesopotamia, Hebrews were still herding goats in the desert.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
All religion evolved from paganism. All religion evolved from it predecessors.

And Abraham was a Sumerian. When Sumer was a major civilization in Mesopotamia, Hebrews were still herding goats in the desert.

It is not a debate thread it is offering respect to others of a Religious Faith while they observe a day that is very important to them.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
It is not a debate thread it is offering respect to others of a Religious Faith while they observe a day that is very important to them.

Yeah, my bad on that too. But still, don't our "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Easter" threads get hijacked with debate? I actually don't recall if they do or not, guess we'll see...

And how many Muslim members do we have? I thought we had only eanassir.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Yeah, my bad on that too. But still, don't our "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Easter" threads get hijacked with debate? I actually don't recall if they do or not, guess we'll see...

Good post.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

I would extend those wishes to those Muslims in town if I should happen to meet them in the next few days, as I'm sure they would wish me Merry Christmas if they met me in December.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I would extend those wishes to those Muslims in town if I should happen to meet them in the next few days, as I'm sure they would wish me Merry Christmas if they met me in December.

I work with Muslims and we exchange Christmas gifts.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

eanassir is on permanent leave.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
eanassir is on permanent leave.

So do you think that you could set aside your personal beliefs and wish all a good celebration. We all have differing beliefs and respect and tolerance is good manners.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Really? Who knows? Not everyone waves that flag.

I'm sure I've met several Jewish folks (for example) over time, but without
the label being broadcast, I've no idea who or how many....same with
gay folks and so on and so forth. Unless someone want's you to
know....you don't.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Rivers of blood flow through the streets of Bangladesh
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 11:39 AM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 11:44 AM EDT
DHAKA, Bangladesh — Large-scale animal sacrifices marking the Islamic festival of Eid al-Adha combined with heavy rains have turned the streets of Bangladesh’s capital into rivers of blood.
Authorities in Dhaka designated several places in the city where residents could slaughter animals, but heavy downpours Tuesday meant few people could use those areas.
Muslims traditionally mark Eid al-Adha, or the Feast of Sacrifice, by slaughtering livestock. Usually a goat, sheep or a cow is killed to commemorate Prophet Ibrahim’s test of faith.
The meat of the sacrificed animals is shared among family and friends and poor people who cannot afford to sacrifice animals as a gesture of generosity to promote social harmony.
Dhaka residents used parking lots, garages and alleys to kill the animals and the blood flowed into the flooded streets, turning them into rivers of blood.
Flooding is common in Dhaka, an overcrowded city of more than 10 million people, because of poor drainage systems.
In this Tuesday, Sept. 13, 2016 photo, people wade past a road turned red after blood from sacrificial animals on Eid al-Adha mixed with water from heavy rainfall in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Authorities in Dhaka had assigned several places in the city where residents could slaughter animals, but the heavy downpours Tuesday meant few people could use the designated areas. (AP Photo)

Rivers of blood flow through the streets of Bangladesh | World | News | Toronto
that would make a great postcard. ;)