Early Chrisianity

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Early worship in Israel

Ariel Schalit / AP

An Israeli prisoner tasked with clearing rubble prior to construction of a new prison ward uncovered the edge of an elaborate mosaic on the floor of what may be the oldest church in the Holy Land. Archaeologists have dated the church to the third century, decades before Christianity became the official religion of the Roman Empire in the early fourth century.
The mosaic includes drawings of fish, which was an ancient Christian symbol that predated the widespread use of the cross, and three inscriptions. One tells the story of a Roman officer who contributed towards paving the floor, the second is dedicated to the memory of four women, and the third mentions a woman who contributed a table, or altar, to God Jesus Christ, according to the Israel Antiquities Authority.

Tiny Christian relic unearthed in Jerusalem - Technology & science - Science - msnbc.com

Correct me if I'm reading this wrong. There are those that have stated that Constantine was the person that raised Jesus Christ to "God". He was emperor of Rome from 306AD to 337AD. In other words in the beginning of the 4th century. The above Christian Church Mosaic was made in the 3rd century.

There are some other interesting finds presented in the link.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
There is a striking resemblance to the symbol of Pisces, the fish symbol of the Zodiac. Jesus issued in the age of Pisces according to those who follow such things. We are now entering the age of Aquarius and a new era and symbolic icon.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Early worship in Israel

Ariel Schalit / AP

An Israeli prisoner tasked with clearing rubble prior to construction of a new prison ward uncovered the edge of an elaborate mosaic on the floor of what may be the oldest church in the Holy Land. Archaeologists have dated the church to the third century, decades before Christianity became the official religion of the Roman Empire in the early fourth century.
The mosaic includes drawings of fish, which was an ancient Christian symbol that predated the widespread use of the cross, and three inscriptions. One tells the story of a Roman officer who contributed towards paving the floor, the second is dedicated to the memory of four women, and the third mentions a woman who contributed a table, or altar, to God Jesus Christ, according to the Israel Antiquities Authority.

That mosaic is beautiful and looks amazingly well preserved.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
All this time I thought I was a Virgo....and now find out i'm a Leo....woe is me...8O

You will most likely find that once precession is taken into account, your zodiac sign is different. And if you were born between November 29 and December 17, your sign is actually one you never saw in the newspaper: you are an Ophiuchus! The eliptic passes through the constellation of Ophiuchus after Scorpius.

Now you really have something cool with which to start that conversation!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Early worship in Israel

Ariel Schalit / AP

Tiny Christian relic unearthed in Jerusalem - Technology & science - Science - msnbc.com

Correct me if I'm reading this wrong. There are those that have stated that Constantine was the person that raised Jesus Christ to "God". He was emperor of Rome from 306AD to 337AD. In other words in the beginning of the 4th century. The above Christian Church Mosaic was made in the 3rd century.

There are some other interesting finds presented in the link.

Thanks Gerry, this is wonderful stuff!

Love it.....

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
If someone asks me what my sign is, I end the conversation right there. Who wants to talk to a flake.

When you have enough hair - Just tell them - 3 numbers adding up to 18 and each number is the same. And point to a spot on your hairy head.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
If someone asks me what my sign is, I end the conversation right there. Who wants to talk to a flake.

Something wrong with just answering "STOP" or "YEILD" or "SLIPPERY WHEN WET"
as your sign? It might take the conversation in interesting directions it might not otherwise
take.....

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Just say.... you should be able to figure it out from my personality, shouldn't you?
Kinda like a psychic asking your name and phone number.

Well we managed to get really off topic. I was just pointing out that the symbol in the middle of the mosaic is the symbol of Pisces.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'd just like to point out that it wouldn't be the first time in history that 2 similar symbols have different meanings.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I'd just like to point out that it wouldn't be the first time in history that 2 similar symbols have different meanings.
That is true, but I doubt that the birth of Jesus falling at the beginning of the age of Pisces was any accident.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
That is true, but I doubt that the birth of Jesus falling at the beginning of the age of Pisces was any accident.

Ummmm.... no, the timing of Christs birth was far from an "accident", just like the timing of his return will not be an "accident".

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Just say.... you should be able to figure it out from my personality, shouldn't you?

I'm not even sure what my so-called sign is any more, what with Ophiuchus suddenly popping up in the mix. However, just to illustrate how ridiculous the entire horoscope rubbish is here are a number of people who share Hitler's birth sign.

Carmen Electra, Napoleon III, and Jessica Lange.

Here is a more complete list of those who share Hitler's sign

Ask Astra - Famous Taureans

I seriously doubt that anyone can find anything in common with most of these people other than their birthdays. I do admit that there seems to be a good fit for Hitler and Rudoph Hess. But Hitler and Cher? Give me a break.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I'm not even sure what my so-called sign is any more, what with Ophiuchus suddenly popping up in the mix. However, just to illustrate how ridiculous the entire horoscope rubbish is here are a number of people who share Hitler's birth sign.

Carmen Electra, Napoleon III, and Jessica Lange.

Here is a more complete list of those who share Hitler's sign

Ask Astra - Famous Taureans

I seriously doubt that anyone can find anything in common with most of these people other than their birthdays. I do admit that there seems to be a good fit for Hitler and Rudoph Hess. But Hitler and Cher? Give me a break.
We are talking about something that was developed around 600 BC and was destroyed during the Dark Ages by the church. What is known today has been pieced together from remaining fragments of the ancient knowledge, so it is incomplete at best and mere guesses at worst. We cannot judge the accuracy of today's astrology to its glory days before it was lost.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
We are talking about something that was developed around 600 BC and was destroyed during the Dark Ages by the church. What is known today has been pieced together from remaining fragments of the ancient knowledge, so it is incomplete at best and mere guesses at worst. We cannot judge the accuracy of today's astrology to its glory days before it was lost.

We can't judge the accuracy of astrology? I think we can. First of all what accuracy? For something that has been around for at least 6000 years it doesn't have a great record. It certainly didn't seem to have helped the ancient civilizations that relied upon it to survive any longer than they did or to predict any threats or solve any problems; either that or the prognostications of ancient astrologers were usually ignored. As for attempts to wipe it out; they were weak at best and usually short lived. All medieval courts had astrologers and the practice existed right alongside Christianity. In fact many court astrologers were also clerics. Like a great many beliefs and practices astrology proved very difficult to eliminate especially during the early years of Christianity when not all areas of Europe and the Mediterranean were under the influence of the church.

And, of course, in India and China the history of astrology is pretty much unbroken. There was no attempt by anyone to eliminate it and astrological practices in those countries are practiced today pretty much as they were thousands of years ago and with an equal lack of accuracy.