How do you remember your youth?

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Recently someone - with whom I share a love for operetta - called my attention to the internet phenomenon, youtube.

I discovered that I can find songs that I have not heard for decades. It woke up in my soul something that I never knew I had or missed: My youth and long-past childhood.

Don't get me wrong, I came to Canada, I married a Canadian girl, I produced Canadian children but have I ever forgotten my roots? No! In 2007 I visited my old classmates for a 50th anniversary of our high school graduation. In a long evening, after dinner and lots of conversations, we started to sing songs, which I had thought I'd long forgotten. I spoke with my old classmates with a heavily accented, broken version of my Mother tongue, due to the fact that, being married to a Canadian girl, I was out of practice, but when it came to the songs, I was right there with my old pals, who never left the confines of the old country. I think that language may be in the brain, but songs are in the heart.

Where am I going with this? Have you ever longed for the dreams of your childhood? Have you ever yearned? Have you ever left your roots and settle elsewhere and then unexpectedly, you realized what you have been missing? The feeling does not have to bridge cultures and languages, it may be felt just by admitting that you are too far from where you were before.

I found that in my absence from the old country, there have been artists I never heard of, who made their way on the international scene. Stars of opera and operetta that lead the world, or at least share the lead, and I have been blissfully unaware of their presence. I found on youtube songs of my childhood that when I listen to them bring tears to my eyes.

Sure, laugh at me! I am the crusty old 'racist' conservative, who is incapable of any sensitivity and soft emotions.

Next summer I will be going back again, this time, accompanied by my daughter, the mother of my grandkids, who will probably know more about their granddad's roots than my daughter ever learned about the roots of her father.

For those who might remember my opposition to government-supported multiculturalism, this is my contribution to the Canadian mosaic. In addition to, of course, the fact that I don't blame the government for my failings and never asked or accepted government assistance to promote the culture of my childhood.

So, lay it on me!

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Ah... Yes ..The Good Ol' days of Youth ...
----------------

How do I remember my youth ..?

Friends and Family always remind us of the past..... ( with a laugh ...)
Unfortunately, the only things they seem to like to remember,
are the very things, we try so Conveniently, to forget .
:)

-------------

Ah yes, good times ...Good times...4 sure

---------------------

How Do I remember my Youth ....?

Ol ' Pics .
Ex Chicks ...
Song Tracks and 90's Flash Backs ..
Always Good Friends and Family ...

------------------

"....It Was the Best of Times ...It Was the Worst of Times ..."
Surely, The Best of Times...;)

---
Now On Ward...!
Forever Forward, Into the Future..!!.
Lest we Forget ...

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
my youth, (under 10 years old) is like remembering a little girl I once knew, she was a friend,
very shy, a bit lonely, surviving in a disfunctional home with a mother who was very loyal and
dependable.

Its amazing how little children fight to survive in life, learn, and grow up to be whole adults
with good thoughts, big hearts and do the right thing, even though there was so much missing during
childhood.

Just goes to show you, children don't have to be given lots of 'things' to be successful, just three
squares a day, a bath once a week, an education, a good mother, who is loyal and stable, just like
little bear cubs, or kittens and puppies, who depend on their mother for everything, until they can
fly on their own.

I never forgot how important she was for me as a child, and until the day she died, I made sure her
life was not lonely or lacking, I was always there for her till that sad day when at the age of 87 she closed
her eyes for the last time.

Last edited:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I think I stayed in touch with my childhood due mainly to many of the jobs I had on the
road of life. I also had the opportunity to have my father live with us for the last ten or
twelve years of his life. We got to go back to Cape Breton together one more time to
visit with family a few years before he passed.
I appreciate the old music thing. I listened to rock, heavy rock a lot of country and
jazz as well as blues. The nice thing about it was that as soon as I finished school I
went straight into radio, and travelled around Western Canada working for rock and
country music stations. I maintained my hobby collecting various records that I liked.
I have a lot of music for sure, my collection is valued at over 70 thousand bucks and
we play the oldies a lot, and they bring back some super memories. The other thing I
like is that a couple of our older grand kids are into music and they are in bands. The
suddenly hear something by Santana and start telling me about it, so I take them down
to my office and ask which song they heard and play it for them.
I often find them catching up on originals after hearing remakes. Yes I live my childhood
it seems two or three times a week, through the massive collection I have maintained
over the years.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Musica Universalis. All of nature sings and dances to it's proportional tune. The entire Universe is built on harmonic frequencies. Without harmony it all falls to pieces.

Harmony is also something that unifies people, whether it's an anthem or a hymn or a folk song or chanting.

It is also something that can release the mind's full potential to explore what many term as "unearthly realms" of hallucinations and a sense of entering new dimensions.

This knowledge of harmonics and it's abilities to uplift the mind into happiness and well being was taken to the next level with the rediscovery of accoustics and geometric proportions (the angles).

This rediscovery brought us the Cathedral and on small scale the Church.

The Cathedral is more than just an artistic expression of man's thanks and admiration for God for the gifts of knowledge to achieve such a beautiful structure.

The Cathedral is a machine that amplifies harmonic frequencies that literally transmits the vibrations of a spoken prayer or hymn into the air and into the ground and even into space it's self.

Cymatics says (or sings) it all.....

Enjoy....

Music of Sound TED Talk on Cymatics: Making Sound Visible

How do I remember my youth? Spending time with a huge extended family.

Last edited:

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
The youngest I remember of those summer "parties" on the family farm, I was about 4 or 5 sitting on the stairs going up to the bedrooms listening to the adults and the chansons a répondre (sing along), the fiddle with the jigs and reels, until I fell asleep right there on the stairs, I'm told:smile:
When I grew older and learned to play an instrument I got to join in.......back then...if you knew three chords and half a dozen songs you were a star;-)
G C & D are the main one to accompany a fiddle with A D & E thrown in when the fiddler got a bit fancy. The hardest part was getting the fiddle rhythm.
Mom played the accordion and the piano, and my Dad just tapped his foot and smoked his pipe.

Now that I'm retired, you could say that I'm going back to my roots, going to several music festivals, every summer.... the musicians are a lot better and I usually play with the less sophisticated ones:lol:
I play a bit less than I used to, and mostly do video recordings now.
I also don't stay up till the wee hours of the morning, (Unless the jam session is right under my awning)
but I sleep with my window open and the rhythm of a doghouse bass in the distance is the best sleep inducer there is.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
This week my grandmother is staying with me. There have been many discussions about the childhood antics of me and my cousins and siblings, as she watches my kids run around the house. That's the best way I've reconnected with my childhood in a long time. This weekend will likely be more reminiscing as I meet up with my parents and my brother and his new girlfriend. How else to welcome someone to the family but to tell them all the silly stories about the man they're with now? lol.