Life Created in Lab

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
US scientists have created the first synthetic cells. The cells are self-replicating and it is believed will eventually make it possible to create designer organisms to fulfill certain tasks. For example it is thought organisms could be created to clean up oil spills. Of course, those opposed to such technology are horrified, believing the new technology could be used to create great harm.

Artificial life created in lab

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Yes, I watched part of 'charlie rose' tonight, the fellow
who is responsible along with other scientists was explaining the discovery, which took 15 years. and
it is just baby steps toward what they are actually trying
to discover.
It has to happen, can't stop discovery, the human person
has always been so curios, and will always learn and
discover and research, so go for it, there will be much
good come from it, and whatever possibile bad, has to
be controlled, just like most things.
Once something like this is discovered/learned, it can't
be undiscovered/unlearned.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Oh Goody! Goody! Artificial life. Could on day compete with the other artificial intelligence that is presently, at least in its own mind, the top of the evolutionary ladder. Evolution gets another kick in the pants.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Technically it's one step removed from creating life. They had to transplant the artificial genome they built into another life form. It's a great proof of concept though.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Technically it's one step removed from creating life. They had to transplant the artificial genome they built into another life form. It's a great proof of concept though.
Isn't that kinda like splicing frog DNA into a tomato. You end up with GM cells. Is Monsanto behind this? Pecker heads are trying to create a Roundup resistant human aren't they? Somewhere there is probably some fringe group animal or vegetable rights group planning to blow up their labs. (secretly crosses fingers!)

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
No, it's not like splicing DNA from one animal into another, because this DNA genome was made synthetically. I say it's one step removed from creating life because they still needed a living thing to serve as the "template" for their DNA to begin replicating inside of. A frog genome spliced into a tomatoe is still DNA made by frog replication, translation, expression, etc, the good ole fashioned way.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
What happened to the other thread on this issue?

I found it:

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/spirituality-philosophy/92713-god-lost-exclusive-rights-make.html

No, it's not like splicing DNA from one animal into another, because this DNA genome was made synthetically. I say it's one step removed from creating life because they still needed a living thing to serve as the "template" for their DNA to begin replicating inside of. A frog genome spliced into a tomatoe is still DNA made by frog replication, translation, expression, etc, the good ole fashioned way.
Yeah, I posted a link to that explanation in the original thread on this subject.