British soldier: "We cornered Taliban then US Apache pilot turned his gun on ME"

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
British soldier: "We cornered Taliban then US Apache pilot turned his gun on ME"

Those trigger-happer, poorly-trained US soldiers still haven't realised that the British Army is now on their side.

This is 2008, guys, not 1808.......

New friendly fire shock: Brit hit

By JOHN KAY
Chief Reporter
15 Jan 2008
The Sun

Still defiant ... Grenadier Guardsman Matthew is helped after being injured by US "friendly" fire in Afghan clashes

GRENADIER guardsman Matthew Lyne-Pirkis was injured by an AMERICAN Apache helicopter in another shocking “friendly fire” incident, it emerged yesterday.

Shrapnel tore into the 27-year-old’s hand and leg when the attack chopper unleashed its fearsome chain gun, spewing out ten 30mm cannon shells every second.

Medic Matthew — snapped minutes later covered in blood but defiantly giving the thumbs up — wrote a report for his mother Bethany after being flown back to Britain from Afghanistan’s lawless Helmand province.

In it, he recalled: “We had been tasked to push the Taliban out of the green zone just outside the town of Gereshk. We started to receive small arms fire. We had ruins to our front and a small brook with trees which curved round to our left and we were spread out along it.

US Apache like the one that injured Matthew. Whereas ALL British Army pilots are professionals there are many poorly-trained reservist pilots in the US Army (at this moment in time, an enemy would surely prefer to take on the US pilots than the British ones)

“I was next to a tree with some Afghan National Army guys, with a wall to my front and couldn’t be seen by the enemy. We called for air support and two Apaches turned up, a Brit and a American.

“We were in radio contact with them and had popped smoke to show them where we were. The British one fired into the enemy and the American one flew over us whilst dropping flares.

“He then circled round and fired into me and the three ANA soldiers with his 30mm cannon. We all received shrapnel wounds.

“I was treated by the platoon commander, platoon sergeant and a mate. I went to surgery and I was then flown back to the UK.”

As a grim souvenir of his close brush with death, Matthew kept some of the shrapnel removed from his left hand.

The shrapnel which had hit his leg was less than two inches from a major artery.

Matthew’s life was only saved because he was wearing body armour.

The US blunder came in July when the 900-strong Grenadier Guards’ battle group was engaged in a series of vicious firefights.

Last night Bethany, 55, of Dorking, Surrey, said: “To this day Matthew has not had any explanation, let alone an apology, from the Americans.”

She wrote to Prime Minister Gordon Brown and said he promised it was being “looked into”.

She added: “Predictably I haven’t heard anything since.”

Last year The Sun exclusively revealed the cockpit video showing how Lance Corporal of Horse Matty Hull, 25, was killed by an American jet pilot in a “friendly fire” scandal in Iraq.

A high-ranking Army officer said: “US air support is vital, but we never hear of cases of British troops mistakenly firing on Americans.

“One of the reasons is all our pilots are full-time professionals and there are too many reservists flying for the Americans.”

In a statement to The Sun, Lt Col Carew Hatherley, the Grenadiers’ CO, insisted: “The swift actions of the coalition aircraft at Geresk, as on every other occasion during our tough tour, undeniably saved both Afghan and British army lives.”

thesun.co.uk

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Man it seems so prevalent. It would be interesting to see some comparisons on rates of these incidents from army to army. How often Canadians hit other, Brits hit others, etc. I tend to sort of wonder if people don't just bitch louder when it's american troops screwing up, because they want to take them down a perceived peg.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Well, I don't know any other Pentagon equivalant in NATO countries that critique American abilities on the battlefield. Exactly how many Americans have been dusted by Nato friendly fire?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Well, I don't know any other Pentagon equivalant in NATO countries that critique American abilities on the battlefield. Exactly how many Americans have been dusted by Nato friendly fire?

I've been looking for a while now and I can't find an incident where Americans were killed or injured by anything but their own friendly fire. I'm not saying it hasn't happened that Americans were killed by other allied forces, but I just can't find reference to it.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
War happens at the speed of life. All the high tech gadgets in the world still can't recall a simple bullet once it's left the gun. Were these Brits clearly identified?

Woof!

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
War happens at the speed of life. All the high tech gadgets in the world still can't recall a simple bullet once it's left the gun. Were these Brits clearly identified?

Woof!

Popping smoke would be a good way of notifying where your squad is... which they did. Apparently this Apache pilot thought it ment Bullseye.

How many US troops were shot by allied forces? That's a good question, but as I have been following the war since it began, I have heard of no reports. The only reports concerning Canadian troops were a few civilian casualties when vehicles got too close to convoys and didn't heed warnings. But it was clearly reported and documented that all proceedures were followed, and it's usually wide open to the media to follow.

But when it comes to the US.... Oh.... well that happens *shrug* ~ And that's all you get. No explination, no information on disiplinary actions on the soldeir in question, nothing.

I don't believe much happened with that pilot who was gooned out on pills who bombed our troops during a live fire exercise. I don't think I heard too much following those marines who went berserk on civilians, shooting them all as they drove off, shooting at cars which obeyed their commands to pull to the side of the road.

Quite honestly, the US when it comes to the Military, ain't got two craps of IQ to benifit anybody except when it comes to pointing and shooting. There's always an excuse, and there's always a block on information and collaberation between the allied nations. I love when the US always asks for other allied nations to share their information, and they do.... but ask the US, and you'll either get squat, or a pile of photocopied documents which are 95% blacked out.

I'm almost to the point now where I'm about ready to say screw Afghanistan and their people and leave the US to their damn messes.

The Afghan Government has been complaining about the civilian casualties and how they are not helping matters.... in the last couple of years, Canada and other allied nations have been exceptional with avoiding Civi Casualties. But the US almost has a daily track record for them. The Afghan government requested a reduction in air strikes because of the same problem.... yet they keep occuring and almost everyday you hear a report on a number of civilians killed in their homes, which were suspected Taliban holds.

I swear the US is doing it all on purpose. Nobody can be that incompitent.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I'd be content to see all future conflicts left to United States to shoot 'em up bang bang at their own expense. Sooner or later they'll go broke or run out of manpower. I'd hope it's before they piss off all the wrong people - or get stupid enough to think nuke - because I'm still downwind of them.

Woof!

Last edited:

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
GRENADIER guardsman Matthew Lyne-Pirkis was injured by an AMERICAN Apache helicopter in another shocking “friendly fire” incident, it emerged yesterday.

Has U.S. Defence Secretary Robert Gates commented yet on the effect this has on his opinion of the super-de-duper excellence of the American military comparative to the Allies?

Ain't karma a b!tch...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Here are the U.S. friendly fire figures on friendly fire casualties as a percentage of all casualties for all the recent wars. The numbers are astonishing:

http://tinyurl.com/yqxbjq

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Natural born killers, except for the drugs they take to lesson inhibitory common sense and speed up reflex time. The drugs also control empathetic reactions after action, ethical decision making is dulled in action, makes it easier to kill women and children.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The Viet Nam numbers are unbelievable:

Copyright (c) Since 1988
The American War Library | Home
G.I. Photo Registry | Registry Applications | Military/Veteran Websites
Friendly Fire
Casualty Statistics
On Southeast Aisa, By Month

<h4>Permission granted to link this site to your Webpage
http://members.aol.com/warlibrary/vwffd.htm
</h4>
1966 Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
US 196 208 231 245 255 268 277 297 313 342 356 385
NON-US 022 023 023 028 029 030 031 035 047 052 052 053

1967 Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
US 403 414 421 436 443 449 458 466 460 467 470 486
NON-US 053 055 054 054 054 054 056 057 059 059 059 059

1968 Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
US 498 506 515 520 536 536 537 537 538 534 538 537
NON-US 061 060 061 061 063 065 066 066 066 066 066 066

1969 Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
US 542 541 538 543 540 539 537 510 510 495 480 474
NON-US 068 072 072 072 072 072 070 070 070 070 070 069

1970 Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
US 473 467 442 428 428 415 404 400 390 374 355 335
NON-US 070 070 070 070 069 069 069 069 069 069 068 068

1971 Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
US 336 325 302 230 250 239 225 216 213 196 178 157
NON-US 068 067 067 067 067 066 064 061 060 059 059 054

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Natural born killers, except for the drugs they take to lesson inhibitory common sense and speed up reflex time. The drugs also control empathetic reactions after action, ethical decision making is dulled in action, makes it easier to kill women and children.

You are so right, wise Beaver! I've heard about drugs been taken by US pilots to stay awake longer. It's very freely given to them!
Read here:
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines02/0801-06.htm

I'm not an expert on drugs and can't say whether the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]amphetamines are to be blamed for their carelessness. Since amphetamines are uppers, they might very well make anybody careless, fearless and cockey.

Juan, thanks for finding that informative list. At least we can now relax a bit, knowing they don't just target our soldiers!
[/FONT]

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
You are so right, wise Beaver! I've heard about drugs been taken by US pilots to stay awake longer. It's very freely given to them!
Read here:
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines02/0801-06.htm

I'm not an expert on drugs and can't say whether the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]amphetamines are to be blamed for their carelessness. Since amphetamines are uppers, they might very well make anybody careless, fearless and cockey.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Juan, thanks for finding that informative list. At least we can now relax a bit, knowing they don't just target our soldiers![/FONT]

You would have to be pretty heavily doesed to mess up that much. Maybe they should do something with the communications to clarify all these errors in communication they blame it on when they don't blame the pilot outright.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You would have to be pretty heavily doesed to mess up that much. Maybe they should do something with the communications to clarify all these errors in communication they blame it on when they don't blame the pilot outright.

The two F-16s in question were flying at 12,000 feet when they saw rifle fire. Schmidt, the one who dropped the bomb on the Canadians said he was defending himself from rifle fire that was over two miles down. The guy was toking something because rifle fire would have been little danger to F-16s at 12,000 feet.