Tall ships mark 400th anniversary of first English settlement in America

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Tall ships mark 400th anniversary of first English settlement in America

26th April 2007

The English lay the seeds of a new nation: The commonwealth (NOT state) of Virginia was founded by English settlers who named it after Queen Elizabeth I, the Virgin Queen. After gaining its independence, it became a part of the United States. Jamestown was named after the monarch at the time, King James I.

Sails proudly unfurled and flying a British flag, a ship designed centuries ago sails past a modern landing craft on the James River in Virginia.

The vessel, a full-scale replica of the ship Godspeed, was recreating the moment when the first permanent English settlers landed at Cape Henry exactly 400 years ago today.

The Godspeed replica with a modern carrier behind

It was joined on its way to Virginia Beach by the replicas of the Discovery and Susan Constant. The three ships carried the hopeful voyagers across the Atlantic ocean in 1607.

During their first days on American soil the 104 English men and boys, led by Captain John Smith, encountered hostile Native Americans, observed local natural life and held a religious service to give thanks for their safe passage.

The Discovery, Godspeed and Susan Constant on the high seas

King James I had granted a charter to a group of London entrepreneurs to establish an English satellite settlement in the Chesapeake region of North America.

A variety of commemorative events including flotillas, exhibitions and tours of the replica ships will take place over the next few weeks.

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited: