A woman who experts said has a rare mental disorder

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
OKLAHOMA CITY - A woman who experts said has a rare mental disorder has been sentenced to more than 15 years in prison after admitting she injected fecal matter into her infant daughter.
Sarena Sherrard, 31, pleaded guilty Tuesday to child abuse charges.
Two mental health care providers, who have cared for Sherrard since her arrest, testified she could not resist the urge to harm her daughter. They blamed a disorder known as Munchausen syndrome by proxy, in which parents create or exaggerate injury to a child to bring attention to themselves. The cause is unknown.

Sherrard was arrested in August 2005 after surveillance video showed her injecting a foreign substance into her daughter’s catheter at Children’s Hospital in Oklahoma City. Police had put the girl’s room under surveillance because doctors suspected someone was harming her, according to court papers.
“I cannot in any way wrap my mind around this,” Oklahoma County District Judge Jerry Bass said Tuesday. “It is beyond my comprehension.”

Bass said he sentenced Sherrard to one year in prison for each of the 13 times the girl was hospitalized, plus 2½ years because the abuse lasted that long.
Daughter 'now doing wonderfully'
“Even though (the judge) agreed with our psychiatrist and psychologist that she had several mental disorders ... he just thought it was such a severe case that he elected for punishment as opposed to treatment,” defense attorney Irven Box said Wednesday.
The girl, now 4, has some hearing loss but has otherwise recovered.
“She’s doing wonderfully,” said Kevin Sherrard, the child’s father. “There’s nothing wrong with her. There probably never was.”
He said he didn’t realize his daughter was being harmed until after his then-wife was arrested.
The judge also imposed a 14½-year probation sentence and barred Sarena Sherrard from having unsupervised contact with children or the elderly.
Defense attorney Irven Box had asked the judge to allow Sherrard to live with her parents while undergoing psychiatric treatment.
Box expressed concern Sherrard wouldn’t receive adequate medication or mental health treatment in prison.
© 2007 The Associated Press.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Munchausen is such a sad syndrome all around, but especially by proxy. How moms could do that is just beyond me. Anytime my kids have ever been hurt or ill, I was so frantic, it STILL terrifies me to think of the close calls. I can't imagine causing harm on purpose, or why it is these women never seem to ask for help. But, i guess if they do, it's not newsworthy is it?