The Final Frontier

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Great to see a new era in space exploration unfolding.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Thanks for f*cking up a tribute to the human spirit of exploration and achievement.

This is why we can't have nice things.
Sorry dude but I was already chuckling about it when I heard the astronauts' names were Bob and Doug. :lol:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
This is a huge step forward.

This was the first time a private company put humans in space. It's also the first time in 45 years Americans have gone into space without buying a ticket on a Russian rocket.

The main competitors for this were Boeing and SpaceX. That the winner was a new company in the space game, and not an old-line defense contractor grown fat on government handouts was a big win for capitalist initiative.

It's a very significant step in the overall plan for private industry to take over the "space trucking" sector of the space economy, hauling people and stuff to LEO and back, and for NASA to focus on the deep-exploration stuff: the Moon and Mars, which can only be done by governments because the payout is non-obvious and a long way off.

Until this, we were, frankly, losing to the Russians and the Chinese. Suddenly we're way ahead in technology and very soon in capability.

So, even if you're too old and cynical to feel the wonder you felt back during the great age of space, if all you can do is carp, bellyache, exercise your extremely limited wit, and turn this into a way to attack "the other side," and you disapprove of advances in American space power, a challenge to Russian and Chinese dominance of space, a huge victory for capitalism and the private, corporate model, the return of NASA to its original mission, and a big "win" in a year when we desperately need a win, all I can say is they got one damn strange kind of "conservative" in Canada. Anti-Western, anti-capitalism, anti-private enterprise, anti-American, pro-Russia, pro-China.

Y'all should be real proud of yourselves.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons

This was the first time a private company put humans in space. It's also the first time in 45 years Americans have gone into space without buying a ticket on a Russian rocket.

The main competitors for this were Boeing and SpaceX. That the winner was a new company in the space game, and not an old-line defense contractor grown fat on government handouts was a big win for capitalist initiative.

It's a very significant step in the overall plan for private industry to take over the "space trucking" sector of the space economy, hauling people and stuff to LEO and back, and for NASA to focus on the deep-exploration stuff: the Moon and Mars, which can only be done by governments because the payout is non-obvious and a long way off.

Until this, we were, frankly, losing to the Russians and the Chinese. Suddenly we're way ahead in technology and very soon in capability.

So, even if you're too old and cynical to feel the wonder you felt back during the great age of space, if all you can do is carp, bellyache, exercise your extremely limited wit, and turn this into a way to attack "the other side," and you disapprove of advances in American space power, a challenge to Russian and Chinese dominance of space, a huge victory for capitalism and the private, corporate model, the return of NASA to its original mission, and a big "win" in a year when we desperately need a win, all I can say is they got one damn strange kind of "conservative" in Canada. Anti-Western, anti-capitalism, anti-private enterprise, anti-American, pro-Russia, pro-China.

Wow dude, that's a lot of jingoistic bullshit for a response to an anti-oil idiot. "Oil is evil. Oil is nasty. Oil is White supremacy. Yay Tesla for creating a kerosene powered rocket." Sorry for making fun of some half-wit's cognitive disorder in your super serious space thread.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Wow dude, that's a lot of jingoistic bullshit for a response to an anti-oil idiot. "Oil is evil. Oil is nasty. Oil is White supremacy. Yay Tesla for creating a kerosene powered rocket." Sorry for making fun of some half-wit's cognitive disorder in your super serious space thread.
I'm real sorry your Dear Leader's boss took a hit.

Not even slightly surprised you needed lots of guidance to dimly see some of the implications.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I miss the old NASA before they got in the space logistic industry and blew it on focus.

If SpaceX is equipped for both so be it. They can take the flack when their are failures. If private industry cant figure this out and earn a buck after 60+ years of man in space something is wrong.

NASA and JPL can better focus on exploration vehicles and on board research systems.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It is about time private companies took over space research. Far better for the taxpayer to buy sapace on a ship to launch satellites as required than have all those people on the payroll.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
It isn't private industry its Elon Musk.

That's why the Team can't really get behind it.

They are so busy denying that he's leading the evolution of the automobile that they can't spend much time on how he made Boeing look like ameteurs and is leading the evolution of space travel

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Only severely retarded leftys can come up with something like that. The fact that Musk is just the latest in a long line of people that have failed at making a viable electric vehicle over the last 120 years has no bearing on his other ventures. Everyone needs a tax dodge.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I'm real sorry your Dear Leader's boss took a hit.

Not even slightly surprised you needed lots of guidance to dimly see some of the implications.
Still gonna go with the jingoistic bullshit I see. Rah rah sis boom bah.

1) Science fiction writers had long ago foreseen the day when private corporations would lead the way, if not outright take over space "exploration". This isn't really that big of a deal.

2) We get told loads of bullshit that space exploration is all about humanity. But the reality is it's a scramble as everyone who can is trying to stake whatever claim they can. (science fiction writers also predicted that).

3) Private corporations operate on an expectation of profit, not blowing money on scientific exploration.

4) "NASA can focus on the Moon/Mars". Brilliant. We already know more about both than we do our own planet. Let's spend even more money exploring them.

5) All the talk about colonizing Mars is a goddam joke. A) it's a dead world and B) We haven't even built shit on the Moon yet, but we're gonna try to sprint before we learn walk by taking a crack at Mars. What could possibly go wrong?

Look, if some American private corporation wants to spend billions on space that's their business. I didn't know I was required to get all excited about it without you getting all jingoistic about it.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Mars is a currently dead world but at one point I believe it was habitable. Who knows what former life/virus can be re-born if we stimulate it somewhat.

I think the logistics of traveling such a "short" distance will keep us away for at least 50 years.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Still gonna go with the jingoistic bullshit I see. Rah rah sis boom bah.
1) Science fiction writers had long ago foreseen the day when private corporations would lead the way, if not outright take over space "exploration". This isn't really that big of a deal.
Wait. . . THAT's your rule? If science fiction predicts something, making it happen in the real world is meaningless?