Tesla to cut thousands of jobs as Elon Musk warns the ‘road ahead is very difficult’

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
But but but...

Tesla Inc. will cut its full-time employee headcount by 7 per cent, with Chief Executive Officer
Elon Musk saying "the road ahead is very difficult to make electric cars affordable for the mass market."

The shares fell 7.6 per cent in pre-market trading after the Palo Alto, California-based company said it managed to eke out a profit in the fourth quarter — though a narrower one than the hard-won third-quarter profit it reported in October, according to a blog post on Friday.

Tesla is under pressure to limit spending as it emerges from what Musk called the “most challenging” year in its history.

BY BLOOMBERG NEWS
ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED: JAN 18, 2019

https://business.financialpost.com/...jobs-to-lower-model-3-costs-shares-tumble/amp

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
I thought a few on hear swore that this was the change of guard and the Oil industry was done, funny how profits drop when subsidies are cut.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
It is the way of the distant future .
It may come faster than we think.....
If someone had told us 20 years ago that you you would be able to, with a smart phone, control the lights and heat in your house from anywhere in the world, monitor your house and answer the doorbell without being home, would we have believed it?

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
It is the way of the distant future .

Not unless there is wireless power distribution, self generating power, perpetual motion or unbelievable battery storage, personally I believe a new source of energy will be discovered.
If someone had told us 20 years ago that you you would be able to, with a smart phone, control the lights and heat in your house from anywhere in the world, monitor your house and answer the doorbell without being home, would we have believed it?

Yes changing at an unbelievable rate, my parents have seen horse and wagon to self driving cars, what will we see before our time is up?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
We have a ways to go before a car is smarter than a horse. (besides higher math, cars might have a small lead but they can't charge their batteries by being parked on the lawn) Perhaps they can understand maps and use that instead of the 'carrot on a stick'

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Not unless there is wireless power distribution, self generating power,
When Tesla was grabbing 'power from the air' he had left a Westinghouse running at home. They are not known for getting the best mileage when only one device is grabbing power. The antenna were 6ft long exactly for some reason. Be just the addition an Igloo could use.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
We have a ways to go before a car is smarter than a horse. (besides higher math, cars might have a small lead but they can't charge their batteries by being parked on the lawn) Perhaps they can understand maps and use that instead of the 'carrot on a stick'

So we are suppose to go back to riding horses? Or what are you trying to say?

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
When Tesla was grabbing 'power from the air' he had left a Westinghouse running at home. They are not known for getting the best mileage when only one device is grabbing power. The antenna were 6ft long exactly for some reason. Be just the addition an Igloo could use.

Meaning what exactly? And why hasn't MIT figured it out yet they been working on it for years?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
No idea, it seemed like an important part of the article, as well as the black box that had a specific size. Perhaps the genset had a pair also. This is Tesla's genset (same size)

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Of course I understand the pace of change having and continue to live through it . The electric vehicle will come as it becomes more efficient and affordable.. It won’t come about by laws and subsidies. Obviously it is to everyone’s benefit if the world all switched to electric vehicles , it would surely reduce air pollution . Once that happens though the climate will continue to change as she wants to .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm still having trouble processing the popularity of station wagons with truck wheels.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I'm still having trouble processing the popularity of station wagons with truck wheels.
Apparently they are safer , for some reason an awful lot of them end up off the road on the Coq. .

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
https://www.apparentlyapparel.com/news/nikola-teslas-wireless-electric-automobile-explained
Supported by the Pierce-Arrow Co. and General Electric in 1931, Tesla took the gasoline engine from a new Pierce-Arrow and replaced it with an 80-horsepower alternating-current (AC) electric motor with no external power source. At a local radio supply shop he bought 12 vacuum tubes, some wires and assorted resistors, and assembled them in a circuit box 24 inches long, 12 inches wide and 6 inches high, with a pair of 3-inch rods sticking out. Getting into the car with the circuit box in the front seat beside him, he pushed the rods in, announced, “We now have power,” and proceeded to test drive the car for a full week, often at speeds of up to 90 mph. His car was never plugged into any electrical receptacle for a recharge. As it was an alternating-current motor and there were no batteries involved, where did the power come from?

Tesla used the collection of vacuum tubes (also called a valve amplifier), wires and assorted resistors to build a radio wave receiver/amplifier 24 inches long, 12 inches wide and 6 inches high, with a pair of 3-inch rods 1/4” in diameter sticking out. The pair of rods that Tesla pushed in were used to close (complete) the circuit – like an on/off switch. The rod ends were most likely the positive and negative leads (connections) between the car antenna and and the radio wave receiver/amplifier. By pushing them into the box containing the radio wave receiver/amplifier the connection was completed allowing the radio waves that were received from the air by the antenna to flow through the receiver/amplifier to the electric motor.

That should be enough that you will look through a few articles, not my problem if you pass.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Here is where you got your info from http://reformation.org/who-killed-electric-car.html
Yes Tesla was smart and Rochefeller broke him what happened to the technology and why can't they replicate it today?
Whys ask me, I'm from the outback of Alberta. You fuks are the ones who claim to feel the pulse of today's society. I mentioned the Arrow a few posts back for a reason, that was the last time Canada was allowed to have an independent thought.
If any of you could actually read and comprehend you will also see where I said it was a 'similar article' and you should 'keep looking'. All you are doing is showing my 'prophecy' about your stupidly pays off in spades on you very next post.
'That should be enough that you will look through a few articles, not my problem if you pass.'
'and assembled them in a circuit box 24 inches long, 12 inches wide and 6 inches high,'