No Deal Brexit is the best deal for Britain

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Every day we are bombarded with claims that a No Deal Brexit would spell disaster.

But those predicting doom are talking our country into a crisis that is no more real than the one we were told would happen the day after we voted Leave.

ROCCO FORTE No Deal Brexit is the best deal for Britain as we can lead the world without fear — but Project Fear still keep bombarding us with disaster

There is so much to be optimistic about — we have nothing to fear from a No Deal Brexit, writes Sir Rocco Forte

Comment
By Sir Rocco Forte, Hotel Tycoon
8th January 2019
The Sun

EVERY day we are bombarded with claims that a No Deal Brexit would spell disaster.

But those predicting doom are talking our country into a crisis that is no more real than the one we were told would happen the day after we voted Leave.

Hotel tycoon Sir Rocco Forte writes about all the good news on UK trade and investment that you don't hear about

What we are not being told by the harbingers of doom is that inward investment into the UK in the first half of 2018 was the second highest in the world after China, but ahead of the US and Germany.

We are not told that 94 per cent of businesses in this country are not trading in Europe.

Only five per cent of GDP is involved in cross-border trade in goods with EU countries and only 12 per cent overall if you include services.

The majority of our trade is with the rest of the world. And as this carries on day in, day out, we see no nightmare queues of lorries backed up at our ports.

Did you know that investment into the UK in the first half of 2018 was the second highest in the world after China?

In fact, there is no friction at all at the borders even though much of the “just in time” delivery we depend on comes from outside the European Union.

We are not told the Civil Service is ready and prepared to handle a No Deal Brexit. This plan is being withheld from MPs and the British people in order to push Mrs May’s withdrawal agreement, which could bind us to EU control indefinitely.

Make no mistake, Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs are ready for a No Deal Brexit. All computer systems will be ready by January 19 and businesses have been advised about “Trusted Trader Schemes” to keep trade flowing.

The EU has announced plans for visa-free travel and aviation rights.

Or that there is no friction at all at the borders - the 'just in time' delivery we depend on comes from outside the European Union

The French have installed high-tech scanners at Calais to keep both trade and tourism flowing.

Friendly “Open Skies” agreements have been signed with our most important partners outside the EU — the US and Canada. We have agreed transitional trade agreements with Switzerland.

There is so much to be optimistic about.

As for our trade with the EU, that will not stop even if extra tariffs are slapped on our exports.

The establishment is trying to push Mrs May's Brexit deal so they don't tell you about Britain's success

The EU has a trade surplus of £95billion with the UK.

In 2017, European countries sold £341billion-worth of goods to us — that’s a lot of cars, food and wine they want to go on selling us.

It is strongly in Europe’s interests to cut a deal.

There are so many advantages of a No Deal Brexit. Number one, we keep our £39billion — the cost of Theresa May’s deal. That is taxpayers’ money that can be used to boost British businesses.

We are not too small to forge our own trade deals - we are the fifth largest economy in the world

We will be free to enter into new trade deals. We are the fifth largest economy in the world. The suggestion that we are too small to cut trade deals is nonsense.

Australia, a much smaller economy than ours, negotiated deals with China, South Korea and Japan in just 18 months.

Iceland has an agreement with China and its economy is tiny compared to ours. We would be free to run our economy as we wish, slashing red tape and burdensome regulation.

Our friendships across the world with Commonwealth and other English-speaking countries can be re-energised. We have nothing to fear.

Staying in the bureaucratic, unemployment-ridden EU is far riskier for the UK than leaving without a deal

The risks of staying in the EU, by contrast, are great.

The EU has not been an economic success. Its love affair with bureaucracy and heavy taxation hold it back.

Its growth rates since the financial crisis have been much lower than ours. Levels of unemployment are so high in some EU countries, no wonder young people there come to the UK where, at four per cent, we have the lowest level of unemployment for 40 years.

As a hotelier, I can say without exception, it is much more difficult to do business in Europe than it is in the UK.

The UK is a natural hub for business unlike the EU with its high corporate taxes and cumbersome labour laws

The EU’s high corporate taxes, complex labour laws and tricky legal system make Britain’s low taxes and fair laws very appealing.

There are so many reasons to be cheerful about our future outside the European Union.

But Remainers are not able to provide any positive arguments for staying in.

That is why they scaremonger with Project Fear. They won’t listen to the British people.

They want to reverse the result of the referendum by almost any means.

No one should believe their blinkered view and this country should not be held hostage by it.

Britain has always been a world leader. We should not doubt that we always will be.

A No Deal Brexit is the only way of ending the uncertainty and allowing us to get on with our lives as a successful, independent nation.

Sir Rocco Forte is chairman and chief executive of Rocco Forte Hotels.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8150907/no-deal-brexit-deal-hope-rocco-forte-opinion/

justlooking

Council Member
May 19, 2017
Ahhh, must be Saturday.

Your MPs seen hell bent on stopping Brexit, by any means.

BTW, who has legal authority in the House for doing things like delaying Article 50, or canceling it ?

Can the House force things through, without consent of the PM ?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Ahhh, must be Saturday.
BTW, who has legal authority in the House for doing things like delaying Article 50, or canceling it ?

The revokation of Article 50 would probably need a vote of parliament, though I'm not sure how such an extremely undemocratic thing could happen without unleashing a shitstorm.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
When the people "speak" and politicians don't want to listen, there must be something in it that will benefit some politicans which is why they are fighting so hard against the peoples wishes. It simply doesn't make any sense that this hasn't been done by now.

There has, to me, an obvious reason why there are those who want to put a stop to Brexit; something in it for them, damned the people. I suspect there is more to the Remainders than meets the eye.....but that's just me.

JMO

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
When the people "speak" and politicians don't want to listen, there must be something in it that will benefit some politicans which is why they are fighting so hard against the peoples wishes. It simply doesn't make any sense that this hasn't been done by now.
There has, to me, an obvious reason why there are those who want to put a stop to Brexit; something in it for them, damned the people. I suspect there is more to the Remainders than meets the eye.....but that's just me.
JMO

Well many British politicians eventually want jobs as EU commissioners, with all the perks and gold-plated pensions that the jobs entail.

One particularly odious Remainer - out of a whole bunch of odious Remainers - is Commons Speaker John Bercow. Already known for his vileness and corruption, this evil little bastard actually bent Parliamentary rules to try and scupper Brexit.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/81678...t-violence-british-parliament-laughing-stock/

These are the kinds of people Remainers are - a nasty bunch, like villains from a movie.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Ahhh, must be Saturday.

Some Remainers are hoping to delay, or even cancel, Article 50 - in other words, put back Britain's EU departure date (currently 29th March) or stop the departure altogether.

But even delaying Article 50 might not work and, in fact, could be disastrous for the Remainers...

Why an epic Farage landslide is looming

The assumption among ministers is that Theresa May will announce a delay to Article 50 if she loses Tuesday’s crunch Brexit vote.

But in Downing Street there is mounting concern the timetable could be shunted back so far, it could skip beyond May 23 – the date provisionally scheduled for the next round of European elections.

‘If we get to the point where we’re forced to hold a fresh round of elections, it will be a disaster,’ a No 10 official tells me.

‘Farage and the Brexiteers would field a slate of Stop The Brexit Betrayal candidates, and they would absolutely clean up.

‘We’d be destroyed, Labour would be destroyed. It would be like a proxy second referendum. And we’d be handing it to them on a plate.’

Time to start making plans, Nigel.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-6585659/DAN-HODGES-storm-coming-admit-Im-scared.html

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I'd like that, or No Deal with Rees-Mogg as PM. Farage isn't an MP. He's an MEP.
Things change. Far better (especially after Brexit, of course).

I've said it before, I'll say it again. I'm not fond of the UK. I genuinely wish her ill. And I think Brexit will be bad for her.

You disagree. Hardly surprising.

So we'll see how this plays out. If I'm wrong, I think I'm man enough to admit it.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Things change. Far better (especially after Brexit, of course).
I've said it before, I'll say it again. I'm not fond of the UK. I genuinely wish her ill. And I think Brexit will be bad for her.
You disagree. Hardly surprising.
So we'll see how this plays out. If I'm wrong, I think I'm man enough to admit it.

Just like Remainers, you tell us that Britain will be better off in the EU but can give us no good reason why.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Just like Remainers, you tell us that Britain will be better off in the EU but can give us no good reason why.
Trade? Free movement?

Again, my criticism of Brexiteers is the same as my criticism of Trumpchumps. Whatever they say their goals are, it is clear to the discerning mind that they are seeking a "Downton Abbey" version of England, or a "Happy Days" version of the US. All the shiny, happy people holding hands*, no scary foreigners or people with melanin, and papering over the problems of the times they are nostalgically looking back on.

In that, they are oddly like ISIS. They want an idealized version of the past. Don't happen.

* Credit to REM.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Trade? Free movement?
* Credit to REM.
Well most British trade is with the rest of the world, and that with the EU is in decline.
As for free movement it's proven to be a disaster across the EU and the British people rightly want shot of it.
Again, my criticism of Brexiteers is the same as my criticism of Trumpchumps. Whatever they say their goals are, it is clear to the discerning mind that they are seeking a "Downton Abbey" version of England, or a "Happy Days" version of the US. All the shiny, happy people holding hands*, no scary foreigners or people with melanin, and papering over the problems of the times they are nostalgically looking back on.
In that, they are oddly like ISIS. They want an idealized version of the past. Don't happen.
It's not that the British people don't want foreigners in their country. It's just that they rightly think there are too many foreigners in this country and that it's time to be like every country in the world bar the EU ones and actually have control over the numbers and quality of people they let in - you know, as sovereign states, like America, do.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Yeah, nice to have the odd Paki or Jamaican to clean the toilets, enit?
As long as they tug the forelock and remember their place.
I don't see why you see it as something strange that Britain is about to have border controls like America and Canada and China and Morocco.

Are you saying most countries in the world are racist for having border controls and limits on numbers coming in?

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
I don't see why the UK doesn't negotiate a seventy-year Brexit towards unilateral global free trade? The EU would probably accept it since it too would want to see a smooth transition if Brexit must happen.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
I don't see why you see it as something strange that Britain is about to have border controls like America and Canada and China and Morocco.
Are you saying most countries in the world are racist for having border controls and limits on numbers coming in?

You've never been to Canada, have you? While Canada may have foolish trade barriers betwen its provinces, there are no border controls. You could literally cross from Ontario to Quebec and nit even notice it.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
No, I'm saying that you, Blackleaf, are a racist.

That clear it up for you?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

Looks like the latest vote didn’t go May’s way .