Basis for Kilogram Changed

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

For more than a century, the kilogram was based on a hunk of metal. The world just redefined it using quantum physics.

Since the 19th century, the world had based the kilogram on a prototype, which was stored in a safe in France. When that prototype was examined in the 1980s, it weighed less than it should, creating an international uproar.

Now representatives of more than 60 countries have approved a new definition for the kilogram by tying it to an unchanging feature from quantum physics called Planck��s constant. The new definition, unlike a physical object, should be constant across space and time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/scie...c=al_news__alert-world--alert-national&wpmk=1

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Ask the Royals, that is what size heroin comes in when they order some.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I'm making in-roads with you, wow. There is an unexpected consequence.

It was probably the Queen who stole the original one, check under her bed next time you are there.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

For more than a century, the kilogram was based on a hunk of metal. The world just redefined it using quantum physics.

Since the 19th century, the world had based the kilogram on a prototype, which was stored in a safe in France. When that prototype was examined in the 1980s, it weighed less than it should, creating an international uproar.

Now representatives of more than 60 countries have approved a new definition for the kilogram by tying it to an unchanging feature from quantum physics called Planck��s constant. The new definition, unlike a physical object, should be constant across space and time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/scie...c=al_news__alert-world--alert-national&wpmk=1

There are no material constants in the universe. The famously declared gravity constant isn,t and requires adjustment every so often.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Seismic crews in the far north had a crew called 'gravity testers' who were able to tell if the crust under their feet was solid rock or it had voids that would be filled with gas or oil. I had different duties so I didn't get to chat with them very much.