Former Taliban hostage facing criminal charges in Canada granted bail

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
I see his father the judge has been busy pulling strings to get his verminous idiotic get out of prison

Former Taliban hostage facing criminal charges in Canada granted bail: report

OTTAWA- Former Taliban hostage Joshua Boyle, who is facing criminal charges in Canada related to incidents after his release from captivity, was granted bail by an Ontario court on Friday, local media reported.

Boyle, 34, was arrested by Canadian police in December 2017, two months after he was freed, along with his American wife and their three children, and returned to Canada.

The specifics of the accusations against Boyle have not been made public, though he faces 19 charges including assault, sexual assault, forcible confinement and uttering death threats.

The court has imposed a publication ban that prevents media from reporting on the bail proceedings or information that could identify any victims or witnesses.

Boyle and his wife, Caitlan Coleman, were kidnapped in October 2012 while backpacking in Afghanistan. They spent five years in captivity, during which their three children were born.

Boyle said a fourth child had been murdered and his spouse raped after their capture by the Taliban-allied Haqqani network. The Taliban denied the accusations of rape and murder.

The Canadian Broadcasting Corp (CBC) reported from the Ottawa court on Friday that Boyle would be released on several conditions including that he stayed in his parents’ home under house arrest and was monitored by GPS ankle bracelet. He must also surrender his passport, the CBC reported.

From the CBC

Boyle faced 15 charges relating to two victims after his arrest, but those charges were withdrawn in January and a new set of 19 charges was entered into the record.

The 19 charges are:

One count of sexual assault while threatening to use a weapon (ropes).
One count of sexual assault with a weapon (ropes).
One count of uttering a threat to cause death.
Nine counts of assault.
One count of assault with a weapon (a broomstick).
Three counts of unlawful confinement.
One count of administering a noxious substance (the antidepressant Trazodone).
One count of public mischief (misleading a police officer into believing that someone was suicidal and missing, causing the officer to start an investigation, and thereby diverting suspicion away from Boyle).
One count of criminal harassment.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
I agree something fishy about this whole situation from editing in Wikipedia, Khadri marriage to backpacking through Afghanistan.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
This guy is a movie at the very least.

He could become the Jason Bourne of the Taliban

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Caitlan Coleman, once held captive by the Taliban, returns to the U.S.

American Caitlan Coleman, who was previously held hostage by the Taliban after she and her husband were captured in Afghanistan in 2012, returned to the United States with her three children Monday night, according to reporting from ABC News.
Coleman and her husband, Joshua Boyle, a Canadian, were released in October after five years being held by Taliban-linked militants in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
Boyle was charged in January with assault and sexual assault.

According to a report from ABC News, Coleman is petitioning an Ottawa family court to grant her full custody of the children she shares with Boyle. A judge ruled Monday that Coleman could relocate, so she left Canada, ABC News reports

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Strange family. Strange outcome. Smells like a long dead mackerel.
Yes nastier & nastier all the time
Ex-hostage says husband abused her while family held captive in Afghanistan
Caitlan Coleman accused Joshua Boyle of physically and emotionally abusing her while they were held by Taliban-linked militant

The American woman who was kidnapped in Afghanistan and held hostage for five years – giving birth to three children while in captivity – has accused her husband of physically and emotionally abusing her while the family was being held by Taliban-linked militants.

The allegations levied by Caitlan Coleman against her Canadian husband Joshua Boyle are contained in newly unsealed court documents obtained by the Ottawa Citizen.

In the documents, filed earlier this year as part of a family court application aimed at allowing Coleman to leave Canada and return to the US with the couple’s children, Coleman accused her husband of exacerbating the nightmarish ordeal.

“JB (Joshua Boyle) regularly threatened to kill me by setting me on fire,” Coleman – who is expecting the couple’s fourth child – said in an affidavit. Her husband, she claimed, “had uncontrolled rage, instituted corporal punishment of me, and struck me in a fit of rage”.

None of the allegations contained in the affidavit have been proven in court.

Boyle, 34, denied the allegations, and in his own 23-page affidavit, he accused Coleman of assaulting him and of having untreated mental health issues that he claimed caused her to neglect the couple’s children.

Boyle, Coleman and their three young children were rescued in Pakistan in late 2017. The couple had been abducted five years earlier while backpacking through Afghanistan. Coleman was five months pregnant at the time.

Shortly after the family landed on Canadian soil, Boyle told reporters that his wife had been raped and one of their children was killed during their time in captivity. The allegations were later denied by the Taliban.

After a short stay with Boyle’s parents the family attempted to build a normal life in Ottawa, renting an apartment and giving their children their first-ever taste of freedom.

Months later, the couple was locked in a custody battle in an Ontario court. The Ottawa judge who considered the case said she had not seen anything to suggest that Coleman suffers a mental health issue that would affect her ability to parent.

“The court does have evidence, on the other hand, that CC (Caitlan Coleman) is healthily and protectively parenting the children,” the judge noted as she granted Coleman temporary custody of the children.

“To say that the circumstances of this case are tragic in the extreme would be an understatement,” the judge added. “Under the exceptional circumstances of this case, requiring CC and the children to remain in Ottawa would be akin to once again holding them hostage.”

Coleman, 32, is reportedly now living in her home state of Pennsylvania with the children.

The judge also issued an order preventing Boyle from contacting or approaching Coleman and the children.

According to court documents, the pair met in 2002. Four years later, Coleman, a manager at a Quiznos sandwich restaurant, and Boyle, an aspiring journalist, struck up a turbulent, on-off again relationship.

Their shared interests kept them together, according to Boyle’s affidavit. “We both wanted to travel by way of backpacking, and we both wanted to see the world.”

The couple married in 2011 while traveling in Central America. After Coleman launched divorce proceedings in 2012, Boyle travelled to Pennsylvania and the couple were reconciled, according to the Ottawa Citizen.

They agreed to travel Central Asia, pushing forward with their plans even after discovering Coleman was pregnant, according to Boyle’s affidavit. He said he was open about his desire to travel to Afghanistan, hoping to make contacts and gain experience that would help him land a job in journalism.

In court documents filed by Coleman, she said she reluctantly agreed to embark on the trip after Boyle promised Afghanistan would not be on the itinerary. Boyle only revealed his plans to travel to the country after they had landed in the region, she claimed, “so that I would not back out”.

The pair was abducted after leaving a Kabul guesthouse in a taxi, and held by the Taliban-linked Haqqani network.

The documents presented in family court, however offer contrasting takes on how the couple handled life in captivity, with both claiming to have been primary caregivers to the children.

Coleman accused Boyle of increasingly erratic and irrational behaviour as the years dragged on, saying that he was fixated on “depicting me as an enemy in his life”.

The guards would often separate them, after which Boyle would accuse her of betraying him by “accepting niceties from the guards and not asking for him more often”, she claimed.

The abuse by Boyle escalated over the years, she alleged. He would confine her to a small shower stall for weeks at a time, she claimed, and alleged that after a disagreement in 2017, Boyle “hit me in the face hard enough to break my cheekbone”.

Boyle repeatedly told her that she was “one of the worst people in the world”, Coleman claimed, alleging that her husband suggested at one point that a “husband who kills his wife is justified”.

In his affidavit, Boyle alleged Coleman neglected the children while in captivity, leaving him in the role of primary caregiver. He said that he often went without food in order to ensure his pregnant wife and children had enough to eat and spent hours crafting toys and gifts out of anything he could find.

In a second affidavit provided to the court, Coleman alleged that she did not share her husband’s interest in extremism, pointing to Boyle’s earlier marriage to Zaynab Khadr – the eldest daughter of a now-deceased member of Osama bin Laden’s inner circle – as an example.

In his affidavit, Boyle described the trauma of readjusting to life in Canada. “While captivity was the worst thing that ever happened to me,” he said, “the adjustment to coming home was a very close second”.

Two months after the family returned to Canada, Boyle was arrested on more than a dozen charges including sexual assault, misleading police and making death threats. He was released on bail in June. The Ontario Court has banned the identification of Boyle’s alleged victims.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Joshua Boyle attempts to flee courtroom after officer recounts arrest

Joshua Boyle stood up and bolted toward the door of an Ottawa courtroom Tuesday after hearing a police sergeant recount details of his arrest in the early hours of Dec. 31, 2017 in front of two of his children.
“Sorry, Mr. Boyle, you can’t leave,” Ontario Court Justice Peter Doody interjected before Boyle reached the doors, his father in pursuit.
Boyle slumped into the back row of the courtroom and a recess was ordered.
The interruption came after Ottawa police Sgt. Shane Henderson told court how his investigation into a missing and suicidal person, Caitlan Coleman, quickly morphed into a spousal abuse probe that ended with Boyle’s arrest in his Centretown apartment hours later.
Boyle’s lawyer, Lawrence Greenspon, focused his cross-examination Tuesday on the speed of that change in investigative focus.
Boyle has pleaded not guilty to 19 charges, including assault, sexual assault and confinement.
Henderson told court that he drove to the Bytown Blue Inn at 1 a.m. on Dec. 31 and knocked on the door of the room where he was told Coleman’s mother, Lyn, was staying while on a visit from Pennsylvania.
An hour earlier, Henderson had met in Centretown with Boyle, who had called 911 to report that his wife was missing and suicidal.
Boyle told police that Coleman had borderline personality disorder, PTSD, “extreme mental instability” and other issues. “I am very worried for her right now,” he said in the 911 telephone recording, played in court.
Henderson, the first officer to respond to the 911 call, testified that Boyle was also worried what she might tell authorities when she was found. “He told me he was concerned, as any husband would be, with what Caitlan would say to us when we found her,” Henderson told court Tuesday.
When officers were unable to locate the missing woman in Centretown, they visited Coleman’s mother. In her hotel room, officers discovered the missing Coleman sitting on the bed.
Henderson asked if she was OK, how she was feeling, and whether she was suicidal.
Coleman insisted she was not suicidal; her mother confirmed as much, Henderson said. “She (Coleman) then told me why she left the house that night and it was not because she was suicidal,” he testified.
Coleman, he said, told him that she left to get away from Boyle because he had assaulted and threatened her on numerous occasions. She told Henderson she had taken her passport and those of her children and was trying to flee to the United States with her mother.
Henderson said his focus changed from a mental health call to a domestic assault investigation.
“I did not see any evidence that Caitlan wanted to harm herself,” he said.
As she told her story, Henderson said, Coleman reclined on the bed in sock feet. She seemed embarrassed and “spoke in a low tone,” he said, but was articulate.
Henderson said there were no obvious signs on Coleman’s face or skin that she had suffered an assault.
As Henderson and other officers interviewed Coleman — she provided police a written statement — Boyle sent a series of text and voice messages to Henderson. The two had last spoken at 12:58 a.m. when Boyle told him that Coleman had taken her passport and those of the children. Boyle said he was concerned that the case was more likely about abduction than suicide.
In cross-examination, Greenspon focused questions on the Henderson’s decision to quickly put concerns to rest about Coleman’s suicidal state and focus on her assault allegations.
He suggested that the officer redirected the entire course of his investigation within 15 minutes of meeting Coleman since the officer was, by 1:15 a.m., no longer responding to Boyle’s phone calls.
Henderson said he couldn’t put a precise time on when the nature of his investigation changed.
The police returned to Boyle’s apartment at 3:29 a.m. and knocked on his door. Henderson told him Coleman had been found and he asked him to hand him his infant son. Boyle complied. He was then arrested and handcuffed.
Earlier, court heard that Boyle, in his 911 call, told the dispatcher that his wife was threatening to kill herself. He said she was alone in her room, then ran outside and was “screaming at the top of her lungs that she was going to kill herself.”
Boyle told police his wife was wearing a hijab, but did not have a coat and might not have shoes.
Before she left the apartment, Boyle said, they had an argument about child care that “turned into rabid self-loathing, a panic attack, something, I’m not sure.”
“I had asked her to stay in her room,” he said.
Boyle later told Henderson that he wanted Coleman to stay in her room and calm down.
“He told me he kept the door open and at no time prevented her from leaving,” Henderson testified. “He said he offered to have sex with Caitlan if she wanted to.”
When Henderson asked if Coleman had a cellphone, Boyle reached on top of the fridge and retrieved a flip phone.
Henderson asked what it was doing there. “Boyle said he took the phone away to make sure she did not break the phone as she had broken phones in the past,” Henderson testified.
Coleman is expected to testify Wednesday.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Joshua Boyle's estranged spouse expected to testify today

Caitlan Coleman, the estranged spouse of former hostage Joshua Boyle, is expected to start testifying later today at Boyle's criminal trial in Ottawa.
Boyle, 35, has pleaded not guilty to 19 charges, including assault with a weapon, sexual assault and forcible confinement. Coleman is the alleged victim for 17 of the offences.
He was charged a few months after the couple returned to Canada in October 2017 with the three children they had while in captivity for five years in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
On Tuesday, the trial heard Boyle called 911 late on the night of Dec. 30, 2017, to report his wife was missing and suicidal.
Several hours after the 911 call, after police found and spoke to Coleman, Ottawa police arrested Boyle on Dec. 31, 2017.
Ontario Court Justice Peter Doody is presiding over the trial, which is set to resume Wednesday morning with the end of the defence team's cross-examination of an Ottawa police officer who responded to the 911 call, and then the beginning of Coleman's testimony.
Her time in the witness box is expected to take three days.
The 19 charges Boyle faces are:
One count of sexual assault while threatening to use a weapon (ropes).
One count of sexual assault with a weapon (ropes).
One count of uttering a threat to cause death.
Nine counts of assault.
One count of assault with a weapon (a broomstick).
Three counts of unlawful confinement.
One count of administering a noxious substance (the antidepressant Trazodone).
One count of public mischief (misleading a police officer into believing that someone was suicidal and missing, causing the officer to start an investigation, and thereby diverting suspicion away from Boyle).
One count of criminal harassment.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Caitlan Coleman testifies about the rocky start to her relationship with Joshua Boyle

Former Afghanistan hostage Caitlan Coleman took the witness stand late Wednesday morning to give evidence against her estranged husband, Joshua Boyle, who stands accused of her physical, sexual and emotional abuse upon their return to Canada after five years in captivity.
Coleman, 33, is the Crown’s central witness in the case against Boyle, who faces 19 charges, including assault, sexual assault and confinement.
Coleman is the complainant in 17 of those charges.
Boyle has pleaded not guilty to all counts.
Coleman testified by closed circuit television from an undisclosed location in the Ottawa courthouse because she did not want to be in the same room as Boyle.
Her first 90 minutes of testimony unfolded the early years of their difficult, on-again, off-again relationship.
Coleman said she was just 16 when she met Boyle in an online forum for Star Wars fans.
At the time, she was being homeschooled in Pennsylvania, she said, and had a wide circle of friends. “I was a big Star Wars fan.”
When she met Boyle, he was in an online relationship with another woman from the same Star Wars forum. But they soon broke up and Boyle told her, Coleman said, that he was desolate and suicidal.
“I was a bit smitten,” she said. “I thought I could be the one to rescue him. I became rather crushed on him.”
They continued to flirt online for years as Boyle began seeing another woman from the same forum, Bailey, from Grimsby. Coleman said she talked to them both about their relationship issues.
At the end of 2005, Coleman said, Bailey broke up with Boyle and warned her that “he was a very dangerous person.”
Coleman said she became Boyle’s “shoulder to cry on” after the break-up. “He started taking up all of my time: He said he couldn’t face life anymore; said he was gong to kill himself. There were many nights I had to talk him down from that.”
After three or four months, Boyle travelled to Pennsylvania to meet Coleman in 2006. Coleman told court that she found Boyle “overwhelming” in person.
“He would hug me and hold me and hold my hand. My feelings just blew up again and I was very in love.”
Boyle became the first man she ever kissed.
But when Boyle returned to Canada, their “tug of war relationship” began, Coleman testified. Boyle insisted they were just friends. Her emotional state depended on what he said to her, Coleman testified.
She visited him in Toronto in September 2006, but Boyle, she said, told her that Bailey was the love of his life. He pressured her to befriend Bailey so that she could advocate for Boyle with his former girlfriend, Coleman said.
“He was laying this heavy ideology on me: ‘If you love me, you will give me what I want,” she said. “I did love him.”
Meanwhile, her own relationship with Boyle was going downhill, Coleman said. They often fought.
“He would belittle me, calling me slut. We would have these big fights and I would cry a lot. I had some tough, depressing days.”
Boyle, she said, criticized her for drinking alcohol, socializing with her friends and talking to other men.
“If I said I was going to a party, there would be this hail of insults from him: ‘You’re an alcoholic, out of control, a slutty 20-something.’”
But her self-esteem was so low, Coleman told court, that ‘if Josh didn’t think I was a good person, then I wasn’t a good person.”
They lived together in the summer of 2007, but their relationship continued on its roller coaster path. Coleman said Boyle told her she was not good enough or smart enough to be his wife.
She went back home in November 2007. Boyle, she said, made her feel that it was her fault that he didn’t have a career as a journalist.
“You and your problems and your incompetence are holding me back in life,” Coleman quoted him as saying.
During their relationship, Coleman said, she began to self-harm and suffer wild fluctuations in her emotional state. Coleman said she would sometimes throw things at Boyle during their fights, or simply walk away from him.
She diagnosed herself as having borderline personality disorder.
In the summer of 2008, Coleman said, she broke-up with Boyle. But he barraged her, she said, with texts, phone calls and emails.
“He would start calling me over and over again on the phone: 20 to 30 phone calls a night. He would keep calling, and calling and calling and calling.”
Boyle threatened to kill himself, Coleman said, and she once called 911 because she thought he was serious.
Coleman cut off contact. The silence lasted a few months then in November 2008, Boyle announced he was getting married, she said.
Only later did Coleman learn that he was marrying Zaynab Khadr, a member of the notorious Khadr clan.
She wrote him an email: “I forgive you for what you have done to me and I hope you have a good life.”
Coleman began to see someone else, Michael. She was living on her own and planned to go back to college in the fall.
Then Boyle messaged out of the blue, she said, to see how she was doing.
It led to a meeting in August 2009 in Toronto with Boyle and his new wife. After that lunch, Boyle walked with her back to her hotel, Coleman said, and spilled out his feelings.
He said his marriage to Khadr was a sham: that it had been staged for the media, Coleman said, to improve the family’s image.
“Essentially, he wanted to marry me. I was the love of his life. He wasn’t going to have a family with Zaynab.”
They walked for hours and Boyle repeatedly professed his love, Coleman said.
“I felt this was my true love,” Coleman said, “Right away, I wanted to go through that door.”
In November 2009, Coleman committed herself to Boyle and the idea of getting engaged.
“This would be the path I would go on,” she said.

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Nope just correct, how about you are you hallucinating?

Corbella: Political cowardice by former PMs is to blame for enriching Khadr

Most of the blame should fall on former Liberal prime ministers Jean Chretien and Paul Martin and to a lesser extent, former Conservative PM Stephen Harper.

Jean Chretien’s Liberal government did not intervene when Khadr was jailed at Guantanamo, where torture occurred. In Canada, people under the age of 18 cannot be tried as adults unless a separate court process determines that is warranted. It’s possible Khadr would have been tried as an adult had he been brought back to Canada. Maybe Chretien was afraid.