Trudeau Denounces 'Vicious And Senseless Acts Of Intolerance' In Wake Of Paris Attack

B00Mer
No Party Affiliation
+1
Trudeau Denounces 'Vicious And Senseless Acts Of Intolerance' In Wake Of Paris Attacks

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has condemned the acts of hatred and racism witnessed in Canada after the terrorist attacks in Paris last week.

In a statement released Wednesday from Manila, where he is attending the APEC summit, Trudeau said he has "noted with deep regret a number of highly disturbing acts aimed at certain Canadians."

Trudeau referenced the recent fire at a mosque in Peterborough, Ont., smashed windows at a Hindu temple in Kitchener, Ont., and an attack on a Muslim woman in Toronto.

"Diversity is Canada’s strength. These vicious and senseless acts of intolerance have no place in our country and run absolutely contrary to Canadian values of pluralism and acceptance," he said in the statement.

"We must fight hate by embracing our values of pluralism & acceptance."

The prime minister said the federal government and law enforcement agencies will work to protect Canadians subjected to such abuse.

"Canadians understand that religious groups around the world suffer persecution regularly at the hands of violent extremists," he said in the release. "Our focus must be on stopping the people responsible for the terror, and continuing to fight hate by embracing Canadian values."

Trudeau took to Twitter Tuesday with a similar message that was re-tweeted thousands of times.

On Monday, Trudeau also released a statement denouncing the arson at the Kawartha Muslim Religious Association’s mosque in Peterborough, which police are treating as a hate crime.

"Muslim-Canadians contribute enormously to the social and economic fabric of our nation, and Canadian authorities will not abide innocent and peaceful citizens being targeted by acts of vandalism and intolerance," the prime minister said.

Trudeau added that while the terror attacks in France shocked "peace-loving people" around the world, the focus should be on those who committed those heinous acts.

"It is equally important for Canadians to understand that Muslims around the world are also being persecuted regularly by these violent extremists," he said. "We are in this together."

An online fundraising drive raised more than $100,000 to repair the place of worship.

A Quran is taken off of a charred bookshelf inside the Kawartha Muslim Religious Association’s mosque in Peterborough. (Photo: Christopher Katsarov/CP)

Also on Monday, a Muslim woman on her way to pick up her children from school in North York was reportedly physically assaulted by two men and called a "terrorist."

The suspects allegedly punched the woman, tore off her hijab, and robbed her of her cellphone and money, according to Global News. Toronto police have designated the attack as a hate crime.

A day earlier, vandals smashed the windows at the Ram Dham Hindu temple in Kitchener. Waterloo Regional Police are not treating the incident as a hate crime but, according to CBC News, are not closing the door on that possibility.

source: Trudeau Denounces 'Vicious And Senseless Acts Of Intolerance' In Wake Of Paris Attacks

The Muzzies probably set the place a blaze themselves looking for sympathy ..

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
Locutus
+1
hey now, the other day the attacks were only “deeply worrying” to the pony. you can't fool me man.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+6
#3  Top Rated Post
I have a good friend who is Muslim. Known him since we were kids. He, his brothers and sisters all immigrated from Pakistan in the 70's. People used to call him a punjab, a bush n!gger and everything you could imagine. We got in a few fights together over that intolerance and he grew up to get an education and he married a beautiful woman who is an educator. He is successful and a proud Canadian. I am proud to have him as my friend, in fact I could think of no better childhood friend.

People that vandalize places of worship or commit acts of violence against other Canadians are as ignorant as the a-Holes who subscribe to extremism. While I think that Justin Trudeau is the Liberal equivalent of George W Bush, just another inexperienced silver spoon fed nit wit riding on Daddy's coattails, I actually agree with him that Canadians need to think before they act.

We are all immigrants here folks, mine came on boat out of Ireland before the great war.

What about yours?

darkbeaver
Republican
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

I have a good friend who is Muslim. Known him since we were kids. He, his brothers and sisters all immigrated from Pakistan in the 70's. People used to call him a punjab, a bush n!gger and everything you could imagine. We got in a few fights together over that intolerance and he grew up to get an education and he married a beautiful woman who is an educator. He is successful and a proud Canadian. I am proud to have him as my friend, in fact I could think of no better childhood friend.

People that vandalize places of worship or commit acts of violence against other Canadians are as ignorant as the a-Holes who subscribe to extremism. While I think that Justin Trudeau is the Liberal equivalent of George W Bush, just another inexperienced silver spoon fed nit wit riding on Daddy's coattails, I actually agree with him that Canadians need to think before they act.

We are all immigrants here folks, mine came on boat out of Ireland before the great war.

What about yours?

All very good advice RCS but I'm wondering why you thought it necessary to mention the boat?

Machjo
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

All very good advice RCS but I'm wondering why you thought it necessary to mention the boat?

To say they swam over would have sounded too much like bragging?

davesmom
+2
I agree that the acts that have Trudeau upset are horrible and senseless. But he doesn't react so vehemently when a white, 3rd or 4fh generation Canadian is attacked. What about when Jewish synagogues and cemeteries were destroyed? And he didn't show so much feeling when the Canadian soldiers were killed by a hit and run driver or when the soldier at the War memorial was murdered. He couldn't even bring himself to use the word, 'terrorist'. Not even when the Parliament Bldg. was attacked.
He shows himself to be a special friend to Muslims.
Reminds me of how Obama makes public denouncements when a black man is killed but never comments when the white men are killed.

lone wolf
Free Thinker

What about yours?

One branch came on an Admiralty pension to Lewisporte Nfld. One left Scotland to settle north of Toronto. One chose to emigrate following something about a game warden and a shot in England - and probably just ahead of a surefire trip to Australia, and one came home with Grand dad after WW2

darkbeaver
Republican
All of mine were criminals and they left to avoid the gallows. I believe they also traveled on boats to the new world.

Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by davesmom View Post

I agree that the acts that have Trudeau upset are horrible and senseless. But he doesn't react so vehemently when a white, 3rd or 4fh generation Canadian is attacked. What about when Jewish synagogues and cemeteries were destroyed?

It's not a hate crime unless Whitey did it.

mentalfloss
+1 / -1
This is a bit of window dressing.

We were just as xenophobic before the attacks.

Tecumsehsbones

What about yours?

Why are you friends with a terrorist?

CDNBear
+2
Couple of isolated incidents of stupid - Takes hard stand.

Over a hundred dead - Very Worried.

Ummm, ya.

Danbones
Free Thinker
+1
"German Interior Minister Says Suicide Bomber's Syrian Passport "May Have Been Planted""
German Interior Minister Says Suicide Bomber's Syrian Passport "May Have Been Planted" | Zero Hedge

say just like the passports at 911 that turned out to be an ADMITTED fraud

some people NEVER learn
have fun at the maul this c'istmass
according to the criminal governments: if the enemy dont gitcha the patriots will

Maybe the PM knows it wasn't syrians

mentalfloss
There was no need for concern to begin with.

CDNBear
+1
Fluff, Fluffer, fluff!

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

"German Interior Minister Says Suicide Bomber's Syrian Passport "May Have Been Planted""
German Interior Minister Says Suicide Bomber's Syrian Passport "May Have Been Planted" | Zero Hedge

say just like the passports at 911 that turned out to be an ADMITTED fraud

some people NEVER learn
have fun at the maul this c'istmass
according to the criminal governments: if the enemy dont gitcha the patriots will

Maybe the PM knows it wasn't syrians

The calm after the storm will help to silence the fevered egos of fear mongerers (see above).

Tecumsehsbones
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

The calm after the storm will help to silence the fevered egos of fear mongerers (see above).

Don't be ridiculous. NOTHING silences Twue Bewievers.

P.S. That one's kinda pointed at you too.

mentalfloss
Believer?

Every terrorist attack has fallen in line with being successful only under exceptional circumstances and remains a low probability.

And we are proving to be more aware to this fact with every hiccup.

If this had happened 10 years ago we would already be marching on Assad by now.

DaSleeper
+2
It's ladders you have to watch out for

And Trains...☻

Tecumsehsbones
+1

Believer?

Yes. We've discussed this. I've told you you have a tendency to foam at the mouth on the subject of Mr. Harper and the Conservatives. You've told me you think yourself quite rational on the subject. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Or not.

petros
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

And Trains...☻

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013...terrorism_plot

davesmom
+1

What about yours?

My ancestors too came before the great war, from Germany and Ireland
And I can tell you, they really did come to make a better life for themselves. They went through a lot of tough stuff to get here and put up with discrimination into the 3rd generation of their offspring. There was no government help of any kind. On arrival they were quarantined until they were registered and medically examined then they were turned loose to make their own way as best they could.
I have questioned in my mind how people can believe that certain immigrants come for a better life when they bring their old life with them. They have the audacity to demand changes to our laws, laws which are pretty fair considering where they came from.
I wonder, if they didn't get financial help, free medical care, language lessons, protection from discrimination, and had to tough it out like the first immigrants, would they be so eager to get here?
I will not support or be welcoming to any ethnic group who come here with the intention of making this county just like the one they left.

DaSleeper
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013...terrorism_plot

But.....there's a bigger danger of walking into one than being involved in a derailment...doncha know?

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by davesmom View Post

My ancestors too came before the great war, from Germany and Ireland
And I can tell you, they really did come to make a better life for themselves. They went through a lot of tough stuff to get here and put up with discrimination into the 3rd generation of their offspring. There was no government help of any kind. On arrival they were quarantined until they were registered and medically examined then they were turned loose to make their own way as best they could.
I have questioned in my mind how people can believe that certain immigrants come for a better life when they bring their old life with them. They have the audacity to demand changes to our laws, laws which are pretty fair considering where they came from.
I wonder, if they didn't get financial help, free medical care, language lessons, protection from discrimination, and had to tough it out like the first immigrants, would they be so eager to get here?
I will not support or be welcoming to any ethnic group who come here with the intention of making this county just like the one they left.

So. . . you want new immigrants to be discriminated against because your forbears were?

darkbeaver
Republican
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

So. . . you want new immigrants to be discriminated against because your forbears were?

Why not Daves mother turned out OK so what's your problem with old fashioned integration?

CDNBear

Your dishonesty is duly noted.

taxslave
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

It's ladders you have to watch out for

And Trains...☻

Trains at least leave tracks where they are likely to be. Ladders are totally unpredictable.Friend of mine got a black eye from a ladder that was tied to the back of a truck.

davesmom
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

Why not Daves mother turned out OK so what's your problem with old fashioned integration?

Haha! Thanks for the vote of confidence.
I could have responded myself but I don't respond to people who have nothing to contribute but sarcasm and cynicism. People who belittle opinions that are different from theirs and twist the meanings of words are too small minded to bother with.

EagleSmack
+1
The falling ladders were all over Paris that night.

davesmom
A young Muslim woman was interviewed on CTV last night. She was very attractive, personable and well spoken.
The object of the interview, it appeared, was to explain why Muslims are not a threat to our country/society; why it is unfair to single Muslims out as 'undesirables'.

She related incidents when she was confronted by individuals with fear and hostility in public places. She and her husband had been planning a trip to Paris but have reconsidered in fear that they will not be well received.

My husband commented to me, "It would help if she took that regalia off her head". My husband was right and I will explain why.

It is true that she has a legal right to wear whatever she pleases. It is true that it is nobody's business what she wears. But consider this: Young girls like to dress in short shorts and skimpy tops in the hot weather. They wear tight, revealing clothing as a matter of course. If they ventured into a Muslim community so dressed how would they be received? Chances are that they would be met with disapproving stares and hostility.

Likewise, a woman who openly breast fed her baby while in a Muslim community or (Heaven forbid!) ventured there topless would not be well received.

Those women also have a legal right to do as they do and it is nobody's business their appearance/actions within a Muslim community would undoubtedly be offensive.

My point is, if we want to be well received we must conform to the norm of the venue in which we find ourselves. To do otherwise is to invite negative attention. It would be confrontational and foolhardy. Just as the skimpy revealing dress and unpopular actions of the women who bare their breasts publicly is offensive to Muslims and unnecessarily disrespectful in a Muslim community, so is the wearing of the head dress in a milieu where it is not common and offensive to a large number of people.

It is commonly understood that the wearing of a head dress is not a religious requirement of Islam, but a cultural and traditional practise. If that is indeed so, it would seem reasonable that it be discontinued IF one wants to discourage negative reactions.

When we go against tradition and culture of any society just because we can there is going to be negativity. It is not reasonable to expect a society to change itself quickly to accommodate our individual preferences. We have the choice of adapting or continuing to draw attention to ourselves unnecessarily. If we choose the latter, do we have a right to complain when we are not well received? I think not.

It takes two to compromise. In both cases, of the head dress and the more lax habits of the western women, it is only reasonable and fair to adjust oneself to the mores of the majority in which we find ourselves.

This view that I am presenting is not intended as a criticism of either side of the coin. It is a suggestion to both sides that they could dramatically reduce the possibility of negative reactions if they showed respect for the population among which they find themselves by making an effort to conform.

Just as many men feel uncomfortable in a suit and tie, yet wear them when they attend a social function, we are all, at times, wise to conform to tradition. Likewise, a woman visiting a Muslim country would be wise to don a head dress. To do otherwise is to invite negative reaction.

Comments welcome!