Why the West has won Canada’s youth

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Question: If you’re young, or have very little education, where’s the best place in the country to find a job, make a decent income and prosper?

Answer: Alberta, followed by Saskatchewan and British Columbia.

Most Canadians likely suspect that economic opportunities are increasingly available in Western Canada. But the hard numbers for young adults (a group I spotlighted in my recent study) reveal stunning, positive facts about the three Western-most provinces. The same data is flashing neon warning signs at Central and Eastern Canada.

Consider migration patterns for the 25 to 34 age group — call them the “young career class” likely finished their education and seeking a job. Over a 10-year period (2003 to 2012), Alberta gained 60,855 young career class adults, on a net basis, from other parts of the country. British Columbia gained 10,643 while Saskatchewan stopped losing young people and gained 581.

During that same 10-year period, on a net basis, Quebec lost 24,355 young adults while Ontario lost 27,451. (Manitoba and Atlantic Canada also bled young adults but that’s been a constant for some time.)

So what explains this westward migration?

Private sector investment, which left a cornucopia of jobs and income in its wake.

more

Milke: Why the West has won Canada’s youth

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The reason my kid left Dalhousie to finish at home: https://www.saskatchewan.ca/live/post-secondary-education/graduate-retention-program

Opportunities for graduates have never been brighter in Saskatchewan. The Graduate Retention Program rewards you for living in Saskatchewan by providing a refund up to $20,000 of tuition fees. To be eligible, you have to live in Saskatchewan and file a Saskatchewan income tax return.