Place a plaque at the National War Memorial in memory of Corporal Nathan Cirillo

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
On one hand, my bias says yes. A small plaque, noting his loss at the site, would be a fitting and informative tribute.

The War Memorial is hallowed ground, memorialising the efforts of the many. I'd like it to not become a bulletin board of plaques for individuals, if we set the wrong precedent here.

Consider me torn.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
On one hand, my bias says yes. A small plaque, noting his loss at the site, would be a fitting and informative tribute.

The War Memorial is hallowed ground, memorialising the efforts of the many. I'd like it to not become a bulletin board of plaques for individuals, if we set the wrong precedent here.

Consider me torn.

At or near. I completely get the hallowed ground piece, I really do. But to me there was significance in that he was ceremonially standing guard, unarmed, at that site when he lost his life on Canadian soil.

But I understand the reservation. I think it can be tastefully done, a unique marker given the unique circumstances. I wouldn't be necessarily in support of the same had he not lost his life on that spot.

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Alberta The Last Best West
The War Memorial is hallowed ground, memorialising the efforts of the many. I'd like it to not become a bulletin board of plaques for individuals

Your post sums it up. I just want to add that this memorial honours the unknown solider whether they are army, navy, air or merchant marine who died or may die for Canada in any conflict past, present, or future. A plaque would take away from what the memorial is.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Your post sums it up. I just want to add that this memorial honours the unknown solider whether they are army, navy, air or merchant marine who died or may die for Canada in any conflict past, present, or future. A plaque would take away from what the memorial is.
How would you alter it? What would you suggest to be fitting? I'm just curious. I can fully appreciate the basis for the objection. I do think though when a death affects the entirety of a nation as his did, and given why he was there, I don't know, I'd like to see him acknowledged somehow, someway.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The Tomb of the Unknown, is tantamount to being the Vatican in terms of hallowed places.

To me anyways.

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
How would you alter it? What would you suggest to be fitting? I'm just curious. I can fully appreciate the basis for the objection. I do think though when a death affects the entirety of a nation as his did, and given why he was there, I don't know, I'd like to see him acknowledged somehow, someway.

I wouldn't alter it at all.

It is a weird thing our society does lately, you know..............road side memorials and small makeshift shrines for friends and family killed, ghost bikes to mark collisions, traffic fatality warning signs in cities etc. In the military we deal with death all the time. We train for it by always training two ranks above our current one in case we need to take charge in a situation should those around us be dying.

He will be remembered by his unit. He will be remembered on Remembrance Day. He wouldn't want to be immortalized at the War Memorial for sure and I know few soldiers who would ever want to be martyred in any way shape or form given some off the accomplishments of those who came before us. It's a hard concept to explain but trust me when I say no soldier wants his death singled out as more noteworthy than any other.

But I think the highway of heroes concept is fantastic and an incredible tribute.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I wouldn't alter it at all.

It is a weird thing our society does lately, you know..............road side memorials and small makeshift shrines for friends and family killed, ghost bikes to mark collisions, traffic fatality warning signs in cities etc. In the military we deal with death all the time. We train for it by always training two ranks above our current one in case we need to take charge in a situation should those around us be dying.

He will be remembered by his unit. He will be remembered on Remembrance Day. He wouldn't want to be immortalized at the War Memorial for sure and I know few soldiers who would ever want to be martyred in any way shape or form given some off the accomplishments of those who came before us. It's a hard concept to explain but trust me when I say no soldier wants his death singled out as more noteworthy than any other.

But I think the highway of heroes concept is fantastic and an incredible tribute.

Fair enough. Thank you for explaining.

I don't pretend to understand what it's like, I know I can't really understand it. All I do know is that his death really affected me and I feel compelled to do something. Which of course, I can't. I'm actually powerless to do anything.

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
I'm actually powerless to do anything.

You have a lot of power, more than you realise.

For starters, few people attend Remembrance Day celebrations anymore and instead see this as another day for shopping. Turn up early and stay to completion. Chat with some vets, buy a round of cheap beers at the legion if you're well healed or let some vet buy you a drink and flirt with him or cry with him depending on the situation;

Go to the old folks home in your area. I guarantee there are half dozen Korean and WWII vets there no one visits anymore or cares about. It would mean the world to them if you took a little time and just sat down and listened to them. Remember, Cpl Cirillo is gone but life is for the living and these folks have been forgotten;

Write, badger and harass your local MP to keep our military commitments to a minimum. The soldier prepares for war but prays for peace. Sometimes we don't have a choice and have to send people to places like Afghanistan and sometimes we shouldn't be in places like Afghanistan if that makes any sense to you.;

Write a deployed soldier and ask him what he needs. For example I used to get people to send me batteries of all sizes and bubblegum. As much as possible as there was no such thing as too much. Batteries to give to locals so they could use flashlights and radios and gum for kids because a handful of bubblegum made those kids happier than any Canadian kid who just had a grand spent on him at Christmas. It's nice to know people back home care enough to help you out.

Volunteer with the local MFRC (military family resources centre) in his name or send a donation to the charity of his family's choice which should be on the obituary.

I think Cpl Cirillo would probably agree with me.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Consider me torn.

I agree - No plaque.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I'd sign as I think it's a great idea but last time I signed a feel good petition I started getting spam from a few lefty type orgs as well as telemarketer calls from others.
I don't give out my personal info even if it's a cause in which I believe.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Consider me torn.

I agree too, no plaque.