Which country has produced the most inventions?


Sons of Liberty
+1
#1
A study by MITI - Japan's equivalent of the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) - concluded that 54% of the world's most important inventions were British. Of the rest, 25% were American and 5% Japanese.

The figures offered by MITI are generally agreed throughout the scientific and engineering community. However, it is important to note that "invention" does not immediately translate into "new product". There is a huge journey to move from an invention to reaching the market place with a product, one that demands engineering and development skills as well as significant amounts of money.

Britain is credited with numerous inventions. One great example is the digital audio player. The first operating player was British. One would have to search long and hard to find a British MP3 player on the market today. It took Apple, an American corporation to fund the development work and deliver the Ipod to market.

Television is another example: The first operating television system was made, demonstrated and put into service in the UK by John Logie Baird and the BBC in the 1920s. Philo Farnsworth and RCA in the US made some significant developments and introduced commercial broadcasting in the 1930s. The US was the first to introduce color television, free market broadcasting and cable services to support multiple television channels. Most broadcast equipment is now made by US companies with Britain and the Far East behind the US in terms of output. Before moving on from television, it is worth noting that Baird used ideas developed by a German (with Russian heritage) some 20 or 30 years before. Farnsworth and Baird also worked together in the early thirties and they both had the benefit of research carried out by developers in many countries. To say that television is the invention of a single country is perhaps too simplistic.

There are many other examples that can be quoted. Undoubtedly Britain remains one of the leaders in science and innovation and America remains one of the great countries for bringing ideas to market. The culture of British universities encourages great minds to keep researching and inventing. The culture of American investment and business encourages entrepreneurs to take an idea and develop viable products.

There is often debate about the source of new ideas and inventions. Today's global environment allows ideas to be shared throughout the world. Inventions will be increasingly difficult to assign to a single country. It is perhaps more important that we celebrate and honor the great minds of all nationalities that have studied the world and developed technology to bring us to the point we are today

Which country has produced the most inventions
 
JLM
+2
#2
Quote: Originally Posted by Sons of Liberty View Post

A study by MITI - Japan's equivalent of the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) - concluded that 54% of the world's most important inventions were British. Of the rest, 25% were American and 5% Japanese.

The figures offered by MITI are generally agreed throughout the scientific and engineering community. However, it is important to note that "invention" does not immediately translate into "new product". There is a huge journey to move from an invention to reaching the market place with a product, one that demands engineering and development skills as well as significant amounts of money.

Britain is credited with numerous inventions. One great example is the digital audio player. The first operating player was British. One would have to search long and hard to find a British MP3 player on the market today. It took Apple, an American corporation to fund the development work and deliver the Ipod to market.

Television is another example: The first operating television system was made, demonstrated and put into service in the UK by John Logie Baird and the BBC in the 1920s. Philo Farnsworth and RCA in the US made some significant developments and introduced commercial broadcasting in the 1930s. The US was the first to introduce color television, free market broadcasting and cable services to support multiple television channels. Most broadcast equipment is now made by US companies with Britain and the Far East behind the US in terms of output. Before moving on from television, it is worth noting that Baird used ideas developed by a German (with Russian heritage) some 20 or 30 years before. Farnsworth and Baird also worked together in the early thirties and they both had the benefit of research carried out by developers in many countries. To say that television is the invention of a single country is perhaps too simplistic.

There are many other examples that can be quoted. Undoubtedly Britain remains one of the leaders in science and innovation and America remains one of the great countries for bringing ideas to market. The culture of British universities encourages great minds to keep researching and inventing. The culture of American investment and business encourages entrepreneurs to take an idea and develop viable products.

There is often debate about the source of new ideas and inventions. Today's global environment allows ideas to be shared throughout the world. Inventions will be increasingly difficult to assign to a single country. It is perhaps more important that we celebrate and honor the great minds of all nationalities that have studied the world and developed technology to bring us to the point we are today

Which country has produced the most inventions

I know Australia invented the Boomerang, that's one of the ones that sticks out most in my mind!
 
Blackleaf
#3
I used to have a boomerang. I used to throw it on the field in front of my house but I could never get it to come back.
 
Goober
#4
Boomerang
 
#juan
+5
#5  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

I know Australia invented the Boomerang, that's one of the ones that sticks out most in my mind!

Do you know what you call a boomerang that doesn't come back?.............A stick..
 
JLM
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

I used to have a boomerang. I used to throw it on the field in front of my house but I could never get it to come back.

Didn't you send it back for a refund?
 
Blackleaf
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Didn't you send it back for a refund?

No. I lost it. I accidentally threw it into a pond. That was in the early Nineties when I was a kid. Some relative of mine brought it back from Australia with them. I think they went there visiting relatives we have there.
 
damngrumpy
#8
Then you should have played your didgeridoo. Australia
invented those too did they not? The west doesn't invent
things anymore they play electronic games made somehwere
else.
 
Locutus
#9
Is the answer, Africa?
 
JLM
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

Is the answer, Africa?

China?
 
SLM
+2
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

Is the answer, Africa?

You could be right, but I don't think so.

For those playing the home game, or those who get all their info from the web, Africa is a continent not a country.

 
darkbeaver
+2
#12
I think the answer is Africa.
 
SLM
#13
I'm going to put money on Liechtenstein. They seem very industrious.
 
JLM
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

I'm going to put money on Liechtenstein. They seem very industrious.

I hope you are not betting your first born. - I think the answer is supposed to be Great Britain.
 
SLM
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

I hope you are not betting your first born. - I think the answer is supposed to be Great Britain.

I figured BlackLeaf would have that covered. Lol.

I choose an industrious but small country. What can I say? I'm a sucker for the underdog.
 
JLM
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

I figured BlackLeaf would have that covered. Lol.

I choose an industrious but small country. What can I say? I'm a sucker for the underdog.

You can say that again........... Liechtenstein is about the size of my back yard! -
 
SLM
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

You can say that again........... Liechtenstein is about the size of my back yard! -

Well they seem to be doing a lot with the backyard.

Quote:

Liechtenstein has the highest gross domestic product per person in the world when adjusted by purchasing power parity,[9] and has the world's lowest external debt. Liechtenstein also has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the world at 1.5%.

Liechtenstein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
Goober
#18
An interesting link.
Category:Inventions by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

Do you know what you call a boomerang that doesn't come back?.............A stick..

Damn that is funny.
 
SLM
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

An interesting link.
Category:Inventions by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dammit! Liechenstein is no where on that list!

That said it seems like a list of modern (patent/copyright) inventions and it seems like America is way in the lead on that one. Some people won't be happy to hear that.
 
spaminator
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by Sons of Liberty View Post

Which country has produced the most inventions?

atlantis
 
Goober
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

Dammit! Liechenstein is no where on that list!

That said it seems like a list of modern (patent/copyright) inventions and it seems like America is way in the lead on that one. Some people won't be happy to hear that.

I ain't lookin
https://www.google.ca/#q=lichenstein+inventions
 
Locutus
+1
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

You could be right, but I don't think so.

For those playing the home game, or those who get all their info from the web, Africa is a continent not a country.


Continent, incontinent...I don't give a sh!t...what have they done for us lately?
 
Goober
+1
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

Continent, incontinent...I don't give a sh!t...what have they done for us lately?

Immigrants- when in the home, need someone to wipe your butt when suffering from incontinence.
Puns intended.
 

Similar Threads

30
Greatest Canadian Inventions.
by karrie | Jan 13th, 2007
17
Useless inventions
by peapod | Sep 10th, 2005
2
locally produced food
by peapod | Aug 7th, 2005