Working Moms to blaim for DECLINE in American Education

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Outrage as Mississippi Governor claims education in America DECLINED when mothers started going to work

Miss. Gov. blames working moms for education woes - YouTube

A Mississippi governor has ignited a heated debate by claiming that standards in education have declined in line with women returning to the workplace.

Speaking during a televised panel discussion, Republican Gov. Phil Bryant quickly realised his controversial remarks would cause a backlash from those who oppose his views, but he stood by his claims.

He pointed out however that he was not trying to blame working women for children's declining education.

In response to a question asking why American children's test results had become 'so mediocre', he told the panel, hosted by the Washington Post: 'Both parents started working, and the mom is in the work place. That's not a bad thing. I'm going to get in trouble. I can just see - I can see the emails tomorrow. But now, both parents are working. They're pursuing careers. It's a great American story now - that women are in the work place.'

He went on to say that he didn't believe it was the mother's place to teach children to read, but said that before women started working, there was a 'loving, nurturing opportunity' and both parents had a more time to devote to the family.

Equal opportunities for women began notably in the 1950s and 60s. The struggle for women to be accepted as equal in the workplace is epitomised in the successful TV series Mad Men, set during this period.

Prior to this the traditional role for women was to act as the matriarch, to be the mother and home-maker, cook and cleaner and to keep the house in order.

In more rural parts of the country, such as Mississippi, women have always toiled in much the same way as men, according to Mississippi Democratic Party chairman Rickey Cole.

Calling Bryant, 'the goofiest governor in America,' Cole said throughout the state's 200-year history, most mothers have had to work to earn money for their families.

He said in a statement: 'Whether that work took place in the fields, in the logwoods, as domestic workers, as teachers, as nurses, as factory workers, in food service, in retail or in many other fields of arduous work, the mothers of Mississippi have been bringing home the bacon since Mississippi began.'

He added: 'The 1950s `Father Knows Best,' picket fence, middle-class family myth has never been an option for most Mississippians.'

Bryant's remarks were also criticised by Democratic state Senator Deborah Dawkins, of Pass Christian.

The frequent critique of Bryant, who said she worked as a physician's assistant while raising three children, described Bryant as being out 'out of touch' with the challenges facing parents to afford child care, particularly in the poorest states.

1950s wife: Equal opportunities for women began notably in the 1950s and 60s; they were traditionally mothers and home makers

Housewife: Mississippi Democratic Party chairman Rickey Cole said: 'The 1950s `Father Knows Best,' picket fence, middle-class family myth has never been an option for most Mississippians.'

Speaking to Associated Press, she said he 'surrounds himself with Tea Party people who want to home-school their children'.

The president of Central Mississippi's Tea Party, Janis Lane, said she believes Bryant meant nothing derogatory.

Lane, who worked while raising two sons, said having both parents working takes some of the focus away from home life, but said she was proof that it was possible to build your life around your children and still work.

source: Outrage as Governor claims education in America DECLINED when mothers started going to work | Mail Online

//////////////////////

aagh! The Good old days...

Now if only Big Corporations would give a living wage to their employees like they used to, the mom can stay at home again and raise the children..

I blame greed from big corporations and lower wages.

Minimum Wage and What It Buys You: 1950s to Now

Minimum Wage And What It Buys You: 1950s To Now - Business Insider

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Like I've said in other threads, maybe something is happening to the kids..
Maybe the kids are just giving up. Don't care. Have no hope for the future.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Of course he was saying mothers were to blame what a load of crap
One thing I am glad we have a second line of Republican fools with
draconian ideas. Urban voters pounce on these and the Republicans
look like nutcases. Remember if pregnancy occurs during rape, it is
God's will? This is no difference, mothers are to blame cause the
education system is failing,
Its starting earlier and the Republicans are getting dumber. We know the
system is failing because the economy is going south because we are
sending the jobs to Asia.
The Reagans and the Bush family aided by Clinton went to the world
market system and shipped out the jobs destroying the fabric of America
and they blame Obama, It is time to say no more. Change the tax structure
to punish companies that don't consider North America first.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Simple fact is that for every woman who went to work to "fulfill herself," a dozen went to work because the value of her husband's paycheque was tanking.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
yes women would get up and spend an hour putting on makeup put on their best clothes and then slip into their high heels, grab the duster and wheeeeeeeee here's to a day of fun

:roll:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I wonder if he even knows he just admitted that 'stay at home dads' make worse parents than 'stay at home moms'?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I wonder if he even knows he just admitted that 'stay at home dads' make worse parents than 'stay at home moms'?

I am of the firm belief that mothers are indeed much better parents that fathers. They are more caring and nurturing for the child, and seem to have a much better emotional understanding of what the kid is going through as it makes its way through the process of growing up.

http://www.babble.com/dad/top-10-things-mothers-do-better-than-fathers/hugging/

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I am of the firm belief that mothers are indeed much better parents that fathers. They are more caring and nurturing for the child, and seem to have a much better emotional understanding of what the kid is going through as it makes its way through the process of growing up.

Hugging | Babble

read the follow up......

Are Mothers Really Better than Fathers at Certain Things?

It was written as a humor piece using personal examples from my own life. As someone who really didn’t have any interaction with the dad blogging community up until today, I had no idea that fathers would take offense to the post — especially not to the extent in which they did.

I know that fathers’ abilities change from father to father. All fathers have responsibilities that vary from family to family. Some fathers are stay-at-home fathers and become great at everything that primary caretakers do well. It has nothing to do with their gender and everything to do with the fact that they are there doing those tasks over and over again. Some fathers may be excellent diaper-changers, and others, like myself, get physically sick when poo touches their skin. For my family, I can’t be home to become better than my wife at all those things in the Top 10 list

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
My personal opinion, was;

The link I provided was for a laugh..

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

Hugging | Babble
If the goal is to have less problems with a child later in life it would seem to be wiser to leave the most intelligent parent at home so fewer problems need treatment down the road, a waste of time and money, doctor and patient should both be sitting back on that manditory paid vacation that requires you to have traveled the world by the time` you are 40.

That would cost less that what it costs to make corrective measures after the machine is broken, perhaps that is why it was never put up as an option (that I know of)

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Well I guess in his books I was a crappy mom - there was no way I could be a stay-at-home mom, despite my best intentions. The kid'd be dead fer sure lol! It worked out best for our family emotionally (and financially), but mostly emotionally. Didn't make great $$ but was a much happier wife and mother.

JMO

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Well I guess in his books I was a crappy mom - there was no way I could be a stay-at-home mom, despite my best intentions. The kid'd be dead fer sure lol! It worked out best for our family emotionally (and financially), but mostly emotionally. Didn't make great $$ but was a much happier wife and mother.

JMO
Tosh .0 could have some witty comments about the family being much happier also.

DB, maybe that is what TPTB wanted to happen, strong family, strong community, strong nation. Their version means they can continue to be middlemen that have no purpose or role in a healthy society. I can see why they wouldn't want that to become common knowledge.