Police Officer Killed after being pinned under vehicle

Retired_Can_Soldier
Quote:

Homicide detectives are investigating after Const. Garrett Styles died of injuries he incurred when he was dragged and pinned under a vehicle during an early morning traffic stop north of Toronto. Styles, who would have celebrated his 33rd birthday on Sunday, was a seven-year veteran of the force, York Regional Police said in a release. He is survived by his wife Melissa, a civilian employee of the York Regional Police, and two children, aged 2˝ and nine weeks.

Read more

A constant reminder that these fine people often are placed in harms way. Condolences to his family.

What a preventable tragedy this was.

lone wolf
+2
#2  Top Rated Post
Really, it's a tragedy the Young Offender didn't "know his rights". Panic or whatever ... he's hurt a lot of people and taken a life.

Rest in peace, Constable Styles....

TenPenny
First of all, I hope the idiot gets tried as an adult. Criminal stupidity isn't an offence, but it should be.
Second, I hope all of the passengers spend a night in jail, too.
Third, I hope that the networks that like to show all of those police chase scenes are happy with this.

A lifetime ban on driving, and 5 years in prison would be a decent minimum sentence for this.

EagleSmack
Awful awful awful.

Such a young kid too.

Unforgiven
+1
Nothing you can say when it comes to this.

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

First of all, I hope the idiot gets tried as an adult. Criminal stupidity isn't an offence, but it should be.
Third, I hope that the networks that like to show all of those police chase scenes are happy with this.

A lifetime ban on driving, and 5 years in prison would be a decent minimum sentence for this.

Not near enough. I'm thinking more like the sentence the cop got.

lone wolf
+1
If the kid's got a conscience, he's a long time to live with it.

cranky
+1 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post

Nothing you can say when it comes to this.

Rest in peace, Const. Styles. May god watch over your family.

YukonJack
+1
What are the legion of cop-bashers on another thread saying about this?

cranky
Quote: Originally Posted by yukonjack View Post

what are the legion of cop-bashers on another thread saying about this?

Quote: Originally Posted by unforgiven View Post

nothing you can say when it comes to this.

talloola
+1
this is very sad

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

If the kid's got a conscience, he's a long time to live with it.

And hopefully, 5 or 10 years of it will be spent in prison.

I'm tired of the 'oh, I feel so bad that I did this' school of thought.

**** you, kid. And your friends. **** you all.

Retired_Can_Soldier
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post

What are the legion of cop-bashers on another thread saying about this?

I don't care what the legion is doing, but I'm not sure why you needed to mention it.

Unforgiven
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

I don't care what the legion is doing, but I'm not sure why you needed to mention it.

I didn't say anything. That you lump me in with someone disrespectful toward such a tragic and senseless is seriously messed up and presumptuous.

Retired_Can_Soldier

I didn't say anything. That you lump me in with someone disrespectful toward such a tragic and senseless is seriously messed up and presumptuous.

I actually wasn't addressing you Unf. I was addressing YukonJack.

I neither found your comment disrespectful or otherwise. If you thought my post came across that way I apologize, although, I just double checked and did not see a quote by you attached to my post.

Yukon Jacks "Legions of cop haters" comments seemed somewhat provocative and wholly unnecessary.

That is what I was addressing.
Last edited by Retired_Can_Soldier; Jun 28th, 2011 at 10:54 PM..

Unforgiven
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

I actually wasn't addressing you Unf. I was addressing YukonJack.

I neither found your comment disrespectful or otherwise. If you thought my post came across that way I apologize, although, I just double checked and did not see a quote by you attached to my post.

Yukon Jacks "Legions of cop haters" comments seemed somewhat provocative and wholly unnecessary.

That is what I was addressing.

I know exactly what you were implying with the negative rep along with it. You should know better by now that I wouldn't be as spectacularly miserable to say something disrespectful about someone killed in the line of duty for Canada or in this case York region.

A cop dies, leaving a 9 week old kid and another just a few years old, young wife gets to deal with all of this, families shattered, kids hurt, parents ashamed and who knows what they must be going through over their 4 kids that were involved.

Get a god damned grip.
That was one nasty assumption you just made and you know it.

Retired_Can_Soldier

I know exactly what you were implying with the negative rep along with it. You should know better by now that I wouldn't be as spectacularly miserable to say something disrespectful about someone killed in the line of duty f or Canada or in this case York region.

I absolutely do.

Quote:

A cop dies, leaving a 9 week old kid and another just a few years old, young wife gets to deal with all of this, families shattered, kids hurt, parents ashamed and who knows what they must be going through over their 4 kids that were involved.

I absolutely agree.

Quote:

Get a god damned grip.
That was one nasty assumption you just made and you know it.

I made no such assumption and as for the negative rep, it was in error, but it seems that the initial post I was addressing has stirred up a lot of anger. So one last time. For the record. I was not addressing you. I was addressing YukonJack. I have not always agreed with you, but this is a misunderstanding. I would swear that on the heads of my children, because I know what I posted and what I meant and it was no ill words toward you.

If you can't take that at face value or my apology I am at a loss for what else to say.

I guess I should have just kept my mouth shut and ignored YJ's troll.

NOTE TO THE MODERATORS OF THIS SITE. FIX THAT **** THUMBS UP/DOWN BULL**** AND MAYBE **** LIKE WOULDN'T HAPPEN.
Last edited by Retired_Can_Soldier; Jun 28th, 2011 at 11:28 PM..

JLM
That is a very sad case, I'm not assuming anything about the 15 year old driver, but sure want to hear his explanation. Now there's two little kids with no Dad- can't get much sadder than that!

Retired_Can_Soldier
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

That is a very sad case, I'm not assuming anything about the 15 year old driver, but sure want to hear his explanation. Now there's two little kids with no Dad- can't get much sadder than that!

Its a sad waste all around. For the 15 year old as well.

JLM

Have some facts come out that I haven't heard about? On the news out here tonight they were providing no details, so until then I'll just assume the throttle got stuck.

CDNBear
The three other kids have not been charged, and likely won't face any charges.

The driver, was arraigned at Sick Kids hospital, he was charged with murder.

TenPenny
+1
Since he's likely going to be a quadraplegic, we'll end up paying to care for him for the rest of his life.

Nice. With luck, some day, he'll wiggle himself into a bathtub full of water and drown.

CDNBear

Since he's likely going to be a quadraplegic, we'll end up paying to care for him for the rest of his life.

Nice. With luck, some day, he'll wiggle himself into a bathtub full of water and drown.

Geez Ten, that's pretty harsh.

He is just a kid.

JLM
+1
Glad to see you are alive, Bear- was beginning to think you'd fallen out of a boat or got caught in a bear trap!

CDNBear
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Glad to see you are alive, Bear- was beginning to think you'd fallen out of a boat or got caught in a bear trap!

fat floats and I learned my lesson about finding mysterious, too good to be true, Hostess cupcakes in the woods.

sedona
this is just so terribly sad

o/t like this other young policeman who was just
killed

wrong place
wrong time

Sedona

petros
He'll be number 249 on the list of names at the Memorial in Ottawa for those fallen in the line of duty. My former fiance is on that list.

God Bless!

YukonJack
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

fat floats and I learned my lesson about finding mysterious, too good to be true, Hostess cupcakes in the woods.

Did you do what bears usually do while in the woods? Were the 'cupcakes' you found, left by them?

petros
Bear **** looks like black olives not cupcakes.

lone wolf
"...with berries and twigs and sometimes furry things." my (then) five-year-old grand daughter explained when I asked her how she knew what the pile she found near the tool shed was in: "Grampa, why do you have bear poop in your yard?"

I'm grateful to be here to hear her....