Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I predict another assault on the Fed. courthouse once the Feds. are gone, we'll see how the State troopers react.
So far, so good.

"Sporadic protests continued across the United States this week, while Attorney General William P. Barr defended the federal response to unrest in Portland, Ore., and the federal agents there began to withdraw.

Here are some significant developments:

Calm returned to Portland, Ore.,Thursday night, as Black Lives Matter demonstrators staged a peaceful vigil downtown, with virtually no sign of law enforcement officers."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/31/protests-live-updates/

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
From Charles Pierce, in Esquire:
"In my life, I have watched John Kennedy talk on television about missiles in Cuba. I saw Lyndon Johnson look Richard Russell squarely in the eye and and say, "And we shall overcome." I saw Richard Nixon resign and Gerald Ford tell the Congress that our long national nightmare was over. I saw Jimmy Carter talk about malaise and Ronald Reagan talk about a shining city on a hill. I saw George H.W. Bush deliver the eulogy for the Soviet bloc, and Bill Clinton comfort the survivors of Timothy McVeigh's madness in Oklahoma City. I saw George W. Bush struggle to make sense of it all on September 11, 2001, and I saw Barack Obama sing 'Amazing Grace' in the wounded sanctuary of Mother Emanuel Church in Charleston, South Carolina.
"These were the presidents of my lifetime. These were not perfect men. They were not perfect presidents, god knows. Not one of them was that. But they approached the job, and they took to the podium, with all the gravitas they could muster as appropriate to the job. They tried, at least, to reach for something in the presidency that was beyond their grasp as ordinary human beings. They were not all ennobled by the attempt, but they tried nonetheless.
"And comes now this hopeless, vicious buffoon, and the audience of equally hopeless and vicious buffoons who laughed and cheered when he made sport of a woman whose lasting memory of the trauma she suffered is the laughter of the perpetrators. Now he comes, a man swathed in scandal, with no interest beyond what he can put in his pocket and what he can put over on a universe of suckers, and he does something like this while occupying an office that we gave him, and while endowed with a public trust that he dishonors every day he wakes up in the White House.
"The scion of a multigenerational criminal enterprise, the parameters of which we are only now beginning to comprehend. A vessel for all the worst elements of the American condition. And a cheap, soulless bully besides. We never have had such a cheap counterfeit of a president* as currently occupies the office. We never have had a president* so completely deserving of scorn and yet so small in the office that it almost seems a waste of time and energy to summon up the requisite contempt.
"Watch how a republic dies in the empty eyes of an empty man who feels nothing but his own imaginary greatness, and who cannot find in himself the decency simply to shut up even when it is in his best interest to do so. Presidents don't have to be heroes to be good presidents. They just have to realize that their humanity is our common humanity, and that their political commonwealth is our political commonwealth, too.
Watch him behind the seal of the President of the United States. Isn't he a funny man? Isn't what happened to that lady hilarious? Watch the assembled morons cheer. This is the only story now."
- Charles Pierce

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
"In my life, I have watched John Kennedy talk on television about missiles in Cuba. I saw Lyndon Johnson look Richard Russell squarely in the eye and and say, "And we shall overcome." I saw Richard Nixon resign and Gerald Ford tell the Congress that our long national nightmare was over. I saw Jimmy Carter talk about malaise and Ronald Reagan talk about a shining city on a hill. I saw George H.W. Bush deliver the eulogy for the Soviet bloc, and Bill Clinton comfort the survivors of Timothy McVeigh's madness in Oklahoma City. I saw George W. Bush struggle to make sense of it all on September 11, 2001, and I saw Barack Obama sing 'Amazing Grace' in the wounded sanctuary of Mother Emanuel Church in Charleston, South Carolina.
"These were the presidents of my lifetime. These were not perfect men. They were not perfect presidents, god knows. Not one of them was that. But they approached the job, and they took to the podium, with all the gravitas they could muster as appropriate to the job. They tried, at least, to reach for something in the presidency that was beyond their grasp as ordinary human beings. They were not all ennobled by the attempt, but they tried nonetheless.
"And comes now this hopeless, vicious buffoon, and the audience of equally hopeless and vicious buffoons who laughed and cheered when he made sport of a woman whose lasting memory of the trauma she suffered is the laughter of the perpetrators. Now he comes, a man swathed in scandal, with no interest beyond what he can put in his pocket and what he can put over on a universe of suckers, and he does something like this while occupying an office that we gave him, and while endowed with a public trust that he dishonors every day he wakes up in the White House.
"The scion of a multigenerational criminal enterprise, the parameters of which we are only now beginning to comprehend. A vessel for all the worst elements of the American condition. And a cheap, soulless bully besides. We never have had such a cheap counterfeit of a president* as currently occupies the office. We never have had a president* so completely deserving of scorn and yet so small in the office that it almost seems a waste of time and energy to summon up the requisite contempt.
"Watch how a republic dies in the empty eyes of an empty man who feels nothing but his own imaginary greatness, and who cannot find in himself the decency simply to shut up even when it is in his best interest to do so. Presidents don't have to be heroes to be good presidents. They just have to realize that their humanity is our common humanity, and that their political commonwealth is our political commonwealth, too.
Watch him behind the seal of the President of the United States. Isn't he a funny man? Isn't what happened to that lady hilarious? Watch the assembled morons cheer. This is the only story now."
- Charles Pierce
And if I was Walter I would say prog shit , but I am not , so I will just say , he has an opinion and if a citizen at least one vote .

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
So far, so good.
"Sporadic protests continued across the United States this week, while Attorney General William P. Barr defended the federal response to unrest in Portland, Ore., and the federal agents there began to withdraw.
Here are some significant developments:
Calm returned to Portland, Ore.,Thursday night, as Black Lives Matter demonstrators staged a peaceful vigil downtown, with virtually no sign of law enforcement officers."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/31/protests-live-updates/

Gotta give it a Day or Two they will go after the courthouse to make a statement

LINK NBC

At one point in the night, a small firework was shot over the fence. As it fizzled out, protesters pleaded with each other to remain calm and peaceful. Later, a few small fires were occasionally started outside the courthouse, with at least one put out by other protesters.

In a statement Saturday, Portland police also described recent protests as largely peaceful.

"Through the rest of the night and into the next morning the crowd was subdued. Some lit fires, climbed the fence outside the federal courthouse, threw objects and chanted," Portland police said. "For the most part they stood crowded together ... talking in small groups."

There was no police interaction with the crowd, according to the statement.

Demonstrations continued Saturday afternoon with several marches planned throughout Portland.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
- Charles Pierce
Classic TDS.

NZDoug

Council Member
Jul 18, 2017
Big Bay, Awhitu, New Zealand
It's 12,000 troops being pulled from Germany, 6000 to Belgium, because Germany does't pay its 2% on defence, although Belgium pays less than 1/2 of the German effort.
Merkel has also ruled out the Lockheed F-35 Lightening, cancelling orders for 100, as they prefer the Airbus route.
Africom is going from Stuttgart to possibly the USA, as no African countries will host them.
MAGA !
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...7.31.20&utm_term=Editorial - Early Bird Brief

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I recollect when the 7th Armored pulled out of Stuttgart after the Cold War. There was a huge public ceremony presided over by the commanding general and the mayor of Stuttgart, ironically Manfred Rommel, son of the great tank commander Erwin Rommel. It was a sad occasion for the Germans and the Americans.

Everything the crazy fat kid touches dies.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
In his mid-July interview with Wallace, Trump was unabashed: “We’re signing a health-care plan within two weeks, a full and complete health-care plan.”

Then, Trump’s fevered imagination went into overdrive, explaining that he had the power to do it on his own, without a congressional vote, thanks to the Supreme Court’s decision to leave in place President Barack Obama’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program. I won’t go into the twisted logic, but you can read my colleague Ruth Marcus’s explanation here.

The truth is, when Trump is stumped, he likes to throw out promises of big policy initiatives — his infrastructure push, for instance — that always seem to be just two weeks away. They are mirages. His assumption is that people will just forget about them as they choke on the dust cloud of distraction that he kicks up every day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...ealth-care-plan-two-weeks-its-been-two-weeks/

So. . . can any of the MAGAhats on here give me a link to the crazy fat kid's Sooper Dooper So Cheap It's Almost Free Take Care of Everybody and Milk and Cookies Health Care Plan?

You know, the one he promised to sign yesterday?