Earliest direct evidence of milk consumption is found in Britain

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Scientists have discovered the earliest direct evidence of milk consumption by humans.

The team identified milk protein entombed in dental plaque on the teeth of prehistoric farmers from Britain.

It shows that humans were consuming dairy products as early as 6,000 years ago - despite being lactose intolerant.

This could suggest they processed the raw milk into cheese, yoghurt or some other fermented product.

This would have reduced its lactose content, making it more palatable.

The team members scraped samples of plaque off the teeth, separated the different components within it and analysed them using mass spectrometry.

Read more: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49650806

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Those lovely breasts that women have are the earliest evidence of milk consumption that I can think of.

They bear further detailed examination, too.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Saw an interesting program earlier about the Viking travels and making it to Newfoundland. One day the Native people were friendly towards them, the next day they were some pissed off. Seems that in a gesture of friendship the Vikings offered the Natives some milk. Unfortunately, since they had never been exposed to anything other than mother's milk, it turns out they were lactose intolerant but thought the Vikings tried to poison them.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Those lovely breasts that women have are the earliest evidence of milk consumption that I can think of.
They bear further detailed examination, too.

They are talking about people of all ages drinking milk from other mammals.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
People do that?

Well we do in England. I don't know what you foreigners do. Though judging by the weird things you eat and drink it wouldn't surprise me if Canadians drink cancerous slug semen instead of cows' milk.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Well we do in England. I don't know what you foreigners do. Though judging by the weird things you eat and drink it wouldn't surprise me if Canadians drink cancerous slug semen instead of cows' milk.
The Wogs start at Calais, Blackleaf.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Well, it's about what foreigners drink ...

Yeah. Eh Toe, a Burmese guy in work (a fellow picker/man-up truck driver), went round the canteen yesterday evening trying to show loads of us a video on his phone of him and his mates in Burma slitting a cow's throat and then drinking its fresh, warm, blood.

I declined to look at the video (to a load of abuse. "You f"cking English bastard etc etc", followed by me reminding him that he should show more respect to his host nation and explaining to him that folk like him are one reason I voted for Brexit). As I sat there eating normal (British) food (fish and chips) I just thought: "Savage foreigners."

What's wrong with you people?